MLB Discussion

The Pirates are going after AJ Burett. HUGE mistake

Yea apparently the Yanks want to split the remaining $$$ left on his contract with the Pirates haha. Any team that makes that trade and takes on half of his remaining contract deserves to get a horrible deal. The Pirates said they would take on $10M of his contract.

its not that bad of an idea... Burnett isnt worth the money he was paid, but the dude is gonna post 200+ innings, and going from the AL East to one of the weakest divisions in baseball should drop his era by at least a point...

A's sign Cuban OF Yoenis Cespedes for 4 years 36 million.

this baffles me, why wont the A's spend that money on home grown talent instead of a major league unknown?

Just came here to post that. Pretty crazy.

Marlins have missed out on so many guys they have gone after this year.

They have hit on as many as they have missed

Just came here to post that. Pretty crazy.

Marlins have missed out on so many guys they have gone after this year.

They have hit on as many as they have missed

I think it is that they just contacted as many people as possible. they knew most of them they wouldnt be able to sign if they signed a few others. i get the feeling from what the Marlins have said is that they were interested in getting him, but not on such a large contract when so little is known about how he will handle MLB. That and how many defectors have lied about their age I can see why the Marlins didnt pull the gun.

Also, when is the fantasy baseball getting started again on here?

What's to hate about Fantasy Baseball? It makes the players on the 26+ also-ran teams worth following. It's created relevance in small markets. It is indeed good for the game. I really do care whether Mike Aviles is going to get a starting spot or if AJ Burnett will be worth a shit once in Pittsburgh. Really, I see nothing but upside since it leaves you digging into the depths of every team and not just your favorite.

By no means did I intend to say fantasy leagues were rubbish or anything. I simply was stating the fact that I, me, myself, don't like to participate in them. That's all. You guys, go have your fun, dig deep in to those rosters, get riled up for a Royals game, I don't care. Just thought I'd suggest a new thread to do so. But whatever.

Guest threegcoalman

Just to add to the Cespedes signing, I also didn't see it coming. I though they had their potential Outfield set in Seth Smith in Left, Coco Crisp in CF, and Reddick in RF, with Colin Cowgill and Michel Taylor potentially coming up and taking spots later in the year.

It would have made much more sense for them to invest in the young Cuban defector Jorge Solar then in a guy who is 26 (May not be) with no chance to compete in the near future.

I dont know if he got a no trade clause or not, but it would be interesting to see if the A's are just hoping to use him as trade bait later on to get more prospects that dont pan out.

i love the fact that Billy Beane is seen as the king of moneyball while Tampa has schooled them on it.

As far as fantasy being in a different thread I think that is silly. That is like asking for all talk about the Mets during the season in another thread as I dont like them. It is part of the game now.

i love the fact that Billy Beane is seen as the king of moneyball while Tampa has schooled them on it.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but do you want to expand a little more?

I haven't read the book, but my understanding was that the moneyball philosophy was all about finding stats that the baseball community undervalued. When the A's were winning, this was defense and OBP. After a little while, the league caught up and readjusted the weight it put on things like OBP, and the advantage was gone.

I don't think the Rays found any statistical anomalies and exploited them. They just sucked for a long time (netting some high draft picks), hit on those draft picks, and added a couple nice mid-level free agents (plus a good manager) to fill out their roster as their studs became major league ready. I don't know if this qualifies as moneyball. It's just basic, good small market strategy.

If all you meant was that the Rays have been the better small market team than the A's then yeah, no doubt. They are a stellar organization.

The book also deals with seeing the talent/right mind frame in the players that other teams might not notice and pass over in the draft. Drafting talent is always a tough thing to do as many first picks have turned out to be huge busts, and drafting someone in a certain spot means so much money goes to them. The diffrence between a 2nd andd 3rd round pick can be a million in signing bonuses. Knowing who can fit in on your team and you can sign longterm like the Rays have with their talent is also part of the idea. How many teams would let a talent like Crawford go? The Rays instead let him go and had a player who outproduced him last year. The A's have been terrible at being able to get anyone to sign longterm with them at a decent price. They also have some terrible trades. They trade everyone away but never get any good player in return.

The book also deals with seeing the talent/right mind frame in the players that other teams might not notice and pass over in the draft. Drafting talent is always a tough thing to do as many first picks have turned out to be huge busts, and drafting someone in a certain spot means so much money goes to them. The diffrence between a 2nd andd 3rd round pick can be a million in signing bonuses. Knowing who can fit in on your team and you can sign longterm like the Rays have with their talent is also part of the idea. How many teams would let a talent like Crawford go? The Rays instead let him go and had a player who outproduced him last year. The A's have been terrible at being able to get anyone to sign longterm with them at a decent price. They also have some terrible trades. They trade everyone away but never get any good player in return.

Yeah, that makes sense. I should read the book. Maybe after I finish up "People's History of the United States".

Talking about their trades has me trying to remember. Didn't they get Carlos Gonzalez for Dan Haren? Then he must have gone with Huston Street to Colorado? What did they get in that trade?

Glad to hear Burnett is blocking any potential trade to the Angels!

Must be either a geographic or ego thing. He comes to LA and he's the 5 starter on a great staff with a chance to win in a major market, he goes to Pitt he has no chance of winning but he's likely going to be in the top 3 of their rotation.

He'd be a good 5th starter for the Angels but I wouldnt wanna take on $15M of his contract AND give up minor leaguers. They already got a couple guys who can do just a terrible as him in as a 5th starter and they are way cheaper!

Guest threegcoalman

Yeah, that makes sense. I should read the book. Maybe after I finish up "People's History of the United States".

Talking about their trades has me trying to remember. Didn't they get Carlos Gonzalez for Dan Haren? Then he must have gone with Huston Street to Colorado? What did they get in that trade?

"On December 14, 2007, González was traded along with Dana Eveland, Aaron Cunningham, Chris Carter, Brett Anderson, and Greg Smith to the Oakland Athletics for Dan Haren and Connor Robertson."

"On November 12, 2008, González was traded with Huston Street and Greg Smith to the Colorado Rockies for Matt Holliday."

every single year, my dad bitches about how the sox would start seasons slow because francona completely underused guys in preseason. and after the 0-7 start or whatever in 2011, i finally saw what he was talking about.

apparently valentine saw it too, because hes looking to make these guys bust their asses in spring training. talking about extending the college games from 7 innings to 9, and trying to add additional preseason games.

im glad hes looking to erase poor habits, but im also worried that his new program could wear some people out.