MLB Discussion

Glad to hear Burnett is blocking any potential trade to the Angels!

Must be either a geographic or ego thing. He comes to LA and he's the 5 starter on a great staff with a chance to win in a major market, he goes to Pitt he has no chance of winning but he's likely going to be in the top 3 of their rotation.

He'd be a good 5th starter for the Angels but I wouldnt wanna take on $15M of his contract AND give up minor leaguers. They already got a couple guys who can do just a terrible as him in as a 5th starter and they are way cheaper!

Apprently he has a no trade clause for west coast teams because his wife is afraid of flying.

Wakefield is announcing his retirement today.

its going to be a really strange season without him around... its really all i know as a Sox fan.

and pictures are popping up on twitter of pitchers&catchers, and its super duper exciting!

Not sure how many non-Sox fans care but Tim Wakefield announced his retirement today. Obviously it was coming soon, and it's the right move, but that guy always seemed to be a solid fella.

The knuckleballer joined Walter Johnson as the only two pitchers in American League history with at least four wins and 125 or more innings in 17 consecutive seasons.

the Yankees' system is loaded with cathcing prospects. i think once they realized Posada was getting older that started drafting a ton of catchers high in the draft. Austin Romine saw some big league action last season. he is a great defensive catcher and is getting better and better offensively as he gets more experience. Gary Sanchez is still in low A ball but has a lot of pop in his bat. he just needs to learn to be patient at the plate.

there's JR Murphy who has a lot more offensive upside than defensive, but he could likely be moved to third because he might never pan out to to be a solid catcher. Murphy has some grey areas defensively like calling a game, working well with a pitching staff, keeping balls in front of him etc. Kyle Higashioka is another good catcher with a lot of upside, but he is still very young.

Not to mention it's the Yankees so if by chance all of their prospects busted, they just reach into the pocketbook.

braun wins arbitration case

I predicted this to a friend. I mean, how do you have your young face of MLB and reigning MVP on a steroid suspension? Well, you don't. You allow him to appeal and win. I smell a marketing department conspiracy.

The only way to get past the Steroid Era is to have a generation of clean players. Braun's test didn't fit central castings call for a Goat.

Wow he won on a technicality. His testosterone was at a level of 20:1 when the limit for MLB is 4:1. He won on the fact that the tester did not mail the urine right away as it was on a saturday night and he thought the FedEx was closed. MLB says they are going to pursue other avenues against him.

Wow he won on a technicality. His testosterone was at a level of 20:1 when the limit for MLB is 4:1. He won on the fact that the tester did not mail the urine right away as it was on a saturday night and he thought the FedEx was closed. MLB says they are going to pursue other avenues against him.

Like what?

Like what?

I heard a few stern talking tos may be headed his way. Also, they really want him to think about what he has done.

I lost all respect for Braun yesterday. Claiming he was exonerated? It was a dumb technicality, he just got away with using PEDs without paying the penalty. Being acquitted and exonerated are very different, he is hoping fans are too dumb to know the difference. No respect for him now. He can take his seat on the denial train with Bonds and Clemens.

I like where the Nats are headed as well. I like this other Zimmermann too - he's a legit #2 arm.

Do they have the depth in their rotation? How about enough power at the plate? I'd love to see them take a step up in class this season.

Stephen Strasburg

Gio Gonzalez

Jordan Zimmermann

Edwin Jackson

John Lannan

That's a projection, but is pretty legit considering where they were a little bit ago. Starting 9 is a little spotty but if Espinosa can come around this year and Werth and LaRoche can put a decent year together they can certainly compete. I'd say they could be in the Wildcard hunt for sure.

I dont see the Nats making a wildcard push this year. Strasburg is still going to be watched and has an inning limit for this year as well. Jackson and Lannan at the back of the rotation is major question marks. They still got a lot of young hitters that need to mature and take more steps forward before they can get to be a wildcard threat in the NL. I think next year will be the year where they start having all the peices together and make a great run at the wild card and possibly the division.