MLB Discussion

its a smart move for texas, they'll be a ridiculous powerhouse for a couple years with arguably two of the most dangerous hitters in baseball back to back... which makes it even worse because who the hell do you pitch around... and they'll be in the playoffs for a couple years keeping people interested and buying tickets.

Players with his type of body and power usually just dont last that long. Look at his dad, Mo Vaughn, Greg Vaughn, etc. Big fat power hitters tear down very easy. Cecil was a beast when he came back from Japan, but man, when he started his downturn he didnt waste anytime. come Prince's age 34 season, the Tigers are going to be wishing they werent still paying him 22 million a year.

Aren't there exceptions too? Not really trying to argue against what you said but Babe Ruth and David Ortiz come to mind as fatties that could still slug in their mid 30s.

I wonder if Cabrera is going to try and drop some weight or just play third as is. He is a bit hefty as well. All that scotch has a lot of calories in it.

Players with his type of body and power usually just dont last that long. Look at his dad, Mo Vaughn, Greg Vaughn, etc. Big fat power hitters tear down very easy. Cecil was a beast when he came back from Japan, but man, when he started his downturn he didnt waste anytime. come Prince's age 34 season, the Tigers are going to be wishing they werent still paying him 22 million a year.

Aren't there exceptions too? Not really trying to argue against what you said but Babe Ruth and David Ortiz come to mind as fatties that could still slug in their mid 30s.

I wonder if Cabrera is going to try and drop some weight or just play third as is. He is a bit hefty as well. All that scotch has a lot of calories in it.

Of course there is exceptions to the rule, though one would argue that Ortiz did it all on steroids. Getting named in the Mitchell Report seriously tainted his image. Id be happy if Prince was an exception, but at this time I dont see it happening.

Apparently the Dodgers offered Fielder 7 years/$160M.

Really glad he didnt go to the Dodgers.

Why? Now he is on a team that can knock your team out of the playoffs.

Cause I just hate the Dodgers.

The Tigers could very well knock the Angels out of the playoffs and if that happens, oh well.

Really annoyed that ESPN is reporting on Josh Hamilton drinking on Monday. This is a guy who is battling addiction and they decide this should be reported to they can get a rating. It's not like he went out and was shooting up heroin and snorting coke in public and relates to why he was banned from baseball in the minors. This is just exploiting a guys personal story. It sickens me.

Really annoyed that ESPN is reporting on Josh Hamilton drinking on Monday. This is a guy who is battling addiction and they decide this should be reported to they can get a rating. It's not like he went out and was shooting up heroin and snorting coke in public and relates to why he was banned from baseball in the minors. This is just exploiting a guys personal story. It sickens me.

I think once you hit that low, you kinda lose the privilege of being able to have a few drinks and no one cares.

Pretty sure they had grape juice in the locker room when most teams have champagne because of his problems. If the team goes to that length to keep him sober, he's got a responsibility to stay sober (not to mention obligations that come with being the face of a franchise and paid the big $$$).

Just my opinion, though...

I agree that he does have a responsibility to the team. However he has been sober for the past 3 years. He falls off once. The team should handle it. See if he needs help. Let it be handled in house. It doesnt need to be blasted all over ESPN. Everytime that Miguel Cabrera or Tony LaRussa drinks isnt reported, and they both have alcohol problems in the past 18 months.

His alcohol battles have been very public and often result in a drug relapse as well. I can't speak to the nature of the coverage because I haven't seen it but it is somewhat noteworthy.

For better or worse, public figures tend to have public problems.

I dont see the problem with them reporting this. They are a sports news channel.

I watched a lot of Sportscenter last nite and only saw them do a quick story on it.

He's the face of a team who has been to the WS two years in a row. His addiction problems have been in the public eye for years now. Him relapsing could cause big problems for his team. Hopefully it was a one off kind of thing and he doesnt fall back into his old ways but I dont think Sportscenter did anything wrong.

Guest threegcoalman

With ESPN opening up fantasy leagues as of late, is anybody interested in joining up in a league?

If so, I have a league where I am trying to find some owners.

League basically looks like this

It is a free Roto League, a 6x6 to be exact.

The draft will be an Auction, with a $260 limit. (Use your money wisely

About this league:

There are 16 teams, 2 divisions.

Roster sizes are of 30 players, with 22 starters, 8 Bench spots, and 3 DL spots.

The categories are:

Batting: AVG, HR, R, RBI, OPS, and Net Stolen Bases (SB-CS)

Pitching: ERA, K, WHIP, W, SV, and HD (Holds)

We are using a traditional waiver system for free agency, with the one twist being that there is a seasonal limit of 60 acquisitions.

THERE IS NO TRADE REVIEW This makes it hassle free, and shows I trust my teams to be reasonable in trades.

The keepers, as of now, is going to be 5 this season, and will be 5 going forward (Gives a team a chance every year)

So anybody interested?

Guest threegcoalman

I run, or should I say used to run deeper ones with this. Full on 30 team leagues based out of proboards used to be my game. Now those were DEEP leagues, especially with full minors and salries and what not haha

The Pirates are going after AJ Burett. HUGE mistake

Yea apparently the Yanks want to split the remaining $$$ left on his contract with the Pirates haha. Any team that makes that trade and takes on half of his remaining contract deserves to get a horrible deal. The Pirates said they would take on $10M of his contract.