MLB Discussion

How deep is your league? I would have loved for Morales to be available in my last round, but he went quite earlier than that in ours.

I wouldnt suggest starting Morales as your starting 1B, but if you got CI slot open or a UTIL spot I would throw him in there. He is good for around .250-.260 with about 20 homeruns assuming his skill level will take a bit to get back where it was after an entire year off from hitting. Foot speed might be an issue as well, but I heard he was crushing it in spring, though I dont care for spring stats at all, pretty easy to compile great numbers in the spring when everyone is just trying to get back in shape and solidify roster spots.

Travis - I took Morales with my last pick of my draft as a cheap flier with upside. What is the buzz out there on the Left Coast? I think there is plenty of upside but I plan to keep a short leash since I don't have a ton of roster space to be patient with a comeback project. So, did I do well in your opinion?

(I also took Johan Santana the round before him since the reports in the NYC press leave me thinking he'll be better than Ervin Santana or Ted Lilly who were both still available)

Morales seems to be healthy after missing over a year and a half. He's finally back in Spring training games and running the bases without any issues at all. He's only played a couple games but its looking like he'll be ready to go on opening day. He's hitting well so far. He's got a ton of power, he hit 34 HRs in his first fill season in the bigs and then had 11 HRs in 51 games before breaking his ankle on a walk off HR in 2010. He's still young too so Im hoping he makes a full comeback and Im expecting him to be the every day DH for the Angels this year with maybe a few spot starts at 1B. The guy can hit, Id say its a nice pick up in the last round.

12 teams - Keeper rules with 9 position players as keepers and 6 prospects - this is our 8th or 9th year.

13 hitters

13 pitchers (middle relievers count as we use Holds)

It used to be a 15 team league but we retracted this year. The guys I play with are very smart and big baseball fans. Morales slipped through the cracks as the late rounds usually refocus towards prospects. I feel pretty good about the pick since there is some talent left in the player pool but Morales had huge promise and I doubt it just disappeared. he was however very slow to return which caught a lot of attention.

Id say that is a pretty good sleeper to get in a league like that. By the last round you got your roster set and can afford to take chances on players like Morales. I see his spring being a bit slow with summer being where he hits his stride. Considering how cheap a pickup he was, he is worth keeping on your roster till then and trading him/dumping him if he doesnt pan out at all come late July.

My team, if anyone is interested. 14 teams, standard 5x5.

C - Lucroy

1B - Teixeira

2B - Cano

SS - Dee Gordon

3B - Sandoval

OF - Desmond Jennings

OF - Boesch

OF - Eric Thames

Ut - Lorenzo Cain

SP - Cliff Lee

SP - Bumgarner

RP - Heath Bell

RP - Brandon League

P - Greg Holland

P - Zimmerman

P - Beachy

B - Cahill

B - Addison Reed

B - Joel Peralta

B - Mike Minor

B - Ryan Raburn

Actually kept Jose Reyes. Dee Gordon slipped to me in the draft, so I made a Reyes for Teixeira deal, then drafted Gordon. Got legs that are about 10 years younger.

I love my pitching and infield. Lucroy is just an average catcher and I am very sketchy starting Thames/Lorenzo Cain. All the late round sleepers went a round before I could grab them (Goldschmidt, Duda, Trumbo, etc...). If I can get the OF or two that comes out of nowhere and tears it up (ie, Melky Cabrera last year) I will have no holes in my team. Heisey didn't get drafted so I am gonna drop Minor and get him as soon as post-draft waivers are over (I don't need 6 starters. Bud light drafted the 6th one for me).

I would look to spin Bell and Thames for a closer a little less known and a better OF.

Travis, I dont want to beat a dead horse, but I read this last night from Baseball Prospectus concerning Mathis.

"The Arizona Diamondbacks pitching staff hit .186/.230/.250 in 2011 with four homeruns in 312 at bats. The jeff Mathis circus hit .174/.225/.259 in 2011 with three home runs in 247 at bats. The Diamondbacks pitchers played in the easier league and had the ballpark advantage, but oh my gosh are we really resorting to park factors to decide who is the better hitter between Jeff Mathis and Barry Enright?"

Perhaps they really should DH for Mathis and have the pitchers hit. I cant imagine what it must have been like to have to deal with him starting for those years.

Yea well luckily DiPoto was able to trade Mathis and actually got something back in return! haha He's the Blue Jays problem now :)

I knew he was with toronto, but I didnt know he was traded. I cant believe they got something back in return. I woulda paid to get him off the team.

I would have absolutely just released him a long time ago. He's never ever been good at any point in his career. No idea how he still has a job.

Funny thing is the guy they got in return for him is actually pitching really well so far this Spring. I dont think he's given up a run yet in about 11-12 innings haha. Some right handed reliever.

I think Abreu is about to get let go even though they owe him like $8M this year. He has no where to play since the OF is already over loaded and they have Trout in the minors. He isnt going to get any time at DH with Morales and Trumbo both on the team. He has been hitting like shit this year, just like he did last year and he's bitching about having to "prove himself" again and calling out the front office/management in interviews. I expect him to get let go any day now. If Dipoto can actually trade him he's a goddamn magician.

I knew he was with toronto, but I didnt know he was traded. I cant believe they got something back in return. I woulda paid to get him off the team.

I think Abreu is about to get let go even though they owe him like $8M this year. He has no where to play since the OF is already over loaded and they have Trout in the minors. He isnt going to get any time at DH with Morales and Trumbo both on the team. He has been hitting like shit this year, just like he did last year and he's bitching about having to "prove himself" again and calling out the front office/management in interviews. I expect him to get let go any day now. If Dipoto can actually trade him he's a goddamn magician.

It is no coincidence that the phillies traded him at the deadline in 05 when they were out of contention and stormed back to miss the wildcard by one game. The guy is a solid bat to have but a terrible guy to have in the dugout. He cares more about his counting stats than to helping his team improve and win. Angels dont need him on the team now. They got Pujols as the veteran leader, and more than enough talent in the OF/DH position. Not to mention that ever since that home run derby his swing has been completely messed up.

Here's my team. 12-team roto league. Auction Draft. Got Mauer for $5!

Carlos Santana

Lance Berkman

Gordon Beckham

A Rod

Alexi Ramirez

Yunel Escobar

Aramis Ramirez

Jacoby Ellsbury

Angel Pagan

Jason Kubel

Mike Carp

JD Martinez

Joe Mauer

Ian Desmond

Pitchers:

Jared Weaver

Jonahan Papelbon

Craig Kimbrel

Tommy Hanson

Drew Storen

John Axford

Josh Beckett

Jordan Zimmermann

Jason Motte

Max Scherzer

Neftali Feliz

Clay Buchholz

Jonathan Broxton

Had Madson but then he go hurt.

That's a lot of closers. I don't like your offense that much. I stay away from guys like Berkman and A-Rod. Hard to judge exactly without knowing the specifics of the league (you said rotisserie, but not what stats are counted).

I got Jordan Zimmerman in every draft I did. Heard Hanson might have some arm issues. Think Angel Pagan is significantly underrated, too.

Yea, it autodrafted a bunch of closers because everyone ran out of money. I was going to trade one of them but then Madson got injured. It's a deep league so I have to wait to see what happens. I think my offense is high risk, high reward. We will see. Here are the stats:

R HR RBI SB AVG OPS K W SV HD ERA WHIP