post your set-up thread

I've been eying one of those Pro-ject RPM1 Carbon's for a while. How are they with dust, since there is no cover? Do you cover it when it is not in use?

I've been eying one of those Pro-ject RPM1 Carbon's for a while. How are they with dust, since there is no cover? Do you cover it when it is not in use?

I have a special Pro-ject cover for it. It is pretty flimsy and could be just a few inches wider on all sides, but it did not cost an arm and a leg and it gets the job done. It costs $55, and there is also a more expensive version.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm not sure if I should update my turntable or my amp first. I'm currently using an AT PL120 and a Yamaha R-S201. Obviously the Yamaha is a cheaper one, but it sounds good but sort of lifeless on my speakers. Currently using Vandersteen 1c speakers. Which component should I upgrade first? I'm also using a Schiit Mani pre-amp.

So I'm not sure if I should update my turntable or my amp first. I'm currently using an AT PL120 and a Yamaha R-S201. Obviously the Yamaha is a cheaper one, but it sounds good but sort of lifeless on my speakers. Currently using Vandersteen 1c speakers. Which component should I upgrade first? I'm also using a Schiit Mani pre-amp.

Generally all things being of like quality in your system changing the bits at the ends of the chain make the most obvious difference so following that rule update your amplifier last,

that said there is nothing fundamentally wrong with your Pioneer provided all the bearings are in good condition and the belt is good. It's a simple AC motor belt drive with a nicely made arm so there is a huge amount of room for tweaking and modifying if you are at all technical and it will happily cope with some quite nice cartridges, also I get the feeling that your Yamaha is quite low down their pecking order and your speakers and phono stage are quite a few rungs up from your amplifier so you don't really fit into the general rule because everything isn't of a like quality

You don't say what cartridge you are currently using so in your case if the TT is all good and the cartridge is nothing special then give it a service and look at a nicer cartridge for it then look at replacing the Yamaha with a proper integrated amplifier rather than a receiver.

Is there any point in having a nice turntable from a sound quality stand point? I know the cartridge/needle makes a difference, but what does the turntable do. Is it worth spending a lot of money on one? Mine is on it's last legs and I'm not sure what to do.

you don't say what you have now or what the rest of the components in your system are?

The simple answer to your question yes it can make a huge difference to sound quality but you will only hear it if everything else is up to the job

It's very dependent on what else you are using as to whether you get the benefit as everything needs to be of a similar quality but basically a turntable has to do four things very well which are run at a very precise speed constantly, allow a small diamond to track an ever decreasing tiny groove accurately, isolate that diamond from any other outside vibrations and to take a tiny electrical signal generated from the vibrations of that diamond to connections without any outside influence on it.

To do this a good turntable is an engineering work of art and this level of engineering costs money as it needs very very precise bearings in both the main table and also the tonearm, it needs to be made from materials that don't resonate together, the geometry has to be extremely precise and it needs to be able to not skip or jump when you are leaping around the room when listening to it. So if you have a top end table with a crap cartridge going into a cheap no name AV receiver and driving small piss poor speakers through bell wire it will be a complete waste.

Dammit, I meant to post this in the beginners turntable thread not the set-up thread. My bad.

Thanks for responding anyway allenh, I figured the Yamaha was the weakest part right now, so will look to upgrade that. I'm using a AT120E cart. right now.

Dammit, I meant to post this in the beginners turntable thread not the set-up thread. My bad.

Thanks for responding anyway allenh, I figured the Yamaha was the weakest part right now, so will look to upgrade that. I'm using a AT120E cart. right now.

The AT120e is fine, I’m pretty certain you can put other AT styli in that body so you might want to look into that but yes replacing the Yamaha is the way to go next.

you don't say what you have now or what the rest of the components in your system are?

The simple answer to your question yes it can make a huge difference to sound quality but you will only hear it if everything else is up to the job

It's very dependent on what else you are using as to whether you get the benefit as everything needs to be of a similar quality but basically a turntable has to do four things very well which are run at a very precise speed constantly, allow a small diamond to track an ever decreasing tiny groove accurately, isolate that diamond from any other outside vibrations and to take a tiny electrical signal generated from the vibrations of that diamond to connections without any outside influence on it.

To do this a good turntable is an engineering work of art and this level of engineering costs money as it needs very very precise bearings in both the main table and also the tonearm, it needs to be made from materials that don't resonate together, the geometry has to be extremely precise and it needs to be able to not skip or jump when you are leaping around the room when listening to it. So if you have a top end table with a crap cartridge going into a cheap no name AV receiver and driving small piss poor speakers through bell wire it will be a complete waste.

I'm running through a Marantz 2225 receiver and my speakers are Technics A-30s. They're vintage 3 way speakers rated for 200 watts.

I'm running through a Marantz 2225 receiver and my speakers are Technics A-30s. They're vintage 3 way speakers rated for 200 watts.

That's all pretty nice vintage kit so provided its all working ok (good electrolytic capacitors in the speaker crossovers and in the amplifer sections of the receiver) then yes it's crying out for a similar quality vintage table and a good quality modern MM cartridge

Sick setup, mesi! the rpm1 matches your area's aesthetic perfectly.

this is mine currently, before I move yet again next month. still deciding on a new turntable.

Anyone else watching the p4k festival stream online right now?

gOv6HPd.jpg

Nice.  What do you use to get album sleeves facing forward like on the bottom shelf?  Or are they just sitting against a stack of records?

New addition as of today....a dual arm setup on my VPI TNT 6:  

19446885153_7c8f235cb2_b.jpg

That is a really awesome looking table. I'm jealous. I wish I wasn't poor.

What's the point of having 2 arms? I haven't seen that before.

So you can run different cartridge and arm combinations at the same time, high end arms don't tend to have removable headshells so changing carts isn't that easy and when you are using carts that cost into the high four figures you don't want to take risks.

You can also do the same using two turntables, my main system has two pink triangles in it, one with a good cartridge in it for everyday cooking vinyl and one with a very expensive one for Sundays and special days. It used to be quite the norm with better amplifiers back in the early 70's for them to have two phono selections and connections so you could do this and even today if you have a phono stage that switches between MM and MC and has a set of input connections for each then you can do the same easily.

1znu8g4.jpg

Here's what I've managed to scrounge together. It's not much I am on a budget but it sure beats my old set up from a few years back (portable numark into computer speakers).

The receiver is a Yamaha cr420 which is really just something I got a deal on that sounds slightly better than the receiver I was using. I found that the sound is clearer with this unit as compared to the 80's JVC I had but still lacking a little punch that I'm used to so that's where the little Realistic 5-band equalizer comes in which I have yet to test, but I'm hoping I'm satisfied with it.

The turntable- Stanton str8-150 which I'm happy with, it was a gift and good for my level of interest. The cartridge is an ADC K8 which didn't cost much but I think is a little improvement in sound over the Stanton cartridge I think it provides better midrange. The disc stabilizer clamp I think is incredibly undersold its some purest audio stb-9000. It's a heavy weight but no doubt it adds punchiness and improves clarity imo. The speakers are my parents old set of Bose 601 series iii which I've never been dissatisfied with but I don't really have much to compare to but the same could be said about my entire set-up. I still kind of consider this my starting point really doesn't sound bad just kind of working with what I can get my hands on.