post your set-up thread

So my setup is, as of now:

TT: Thorens TD-318 Mk II with TP21 arm

Cartridge: Ortofon OMB

Stylus: Ortofon 20 (this one is new)

Preamp: NAD PP1

Amp: Technics SA-EX100

Speakers: Wharfedale Laser 40

I spent a total of 370 USD on this set up (incl. new oil for the bearing), and I'm happy about how it sounds for that price.

I'm happy with my player, but willing to upgrade anything else, but probably one thing at the time. If I were to upgrade one thing, what would your recommendation be? Amp? Preamp? Cartridge? Stylus? Arm?

The speakers were made by Rank - does that mean they're from a "bad" era?

What's the difference between an Ortofon OM and an OMB?

It should arrive Friday. They guy I bought it from broke off a connection inside when he was swapping tubes before sending it to me, so he sent it to Rogue to fix first. They ended up upgrading the binding posts, the dc filter and the phono stage for me. I'll def let you guys know when I've spent a little time with it.

Have updated some of my music listening equipment, still running the Polk RTi A1's which I enjoy, but may update them in the near future...

28uk4mv.jpg

Purchased a new Rega RP3 with an Elys 2 cartridge to replace my RP1...
dgo1es.jpg
Very pleased with this update, it has a better platter made of glass and a better tonearm, I can definitely hear quite a difference in sound quality over the RP1. I changed up the plinth colour from the light grey to the dark.

And a new amp, the Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 to replace my Pioneer VSX-521 receiver...
5aq9v5.jpg
I had to get something that would not only make listening to vinyl sound great, but also still be able to run my TV, Blu-ray and Sky TV (cable) through it and this unit ticked all the right boxes. Pumps out 100 watts per channel and has a built in DAC too. Adjustable bass and treble have really made listening to vinyl come alive.

Currently a temp. set-up as I just moved to PDX, and I am crashing with my girl. I have speaker stands, but they are packed away. I'll only be using this layout for a bit until I get my own place. My normal set up has the speakers away from the wall and on a unit with my TV, but it's nice to give my records their own set up.

mmf 2.2 > 551P MM Phono Pre-Amp > Sony STR-DH740 > Polk tsi200s

BeRPbML.jpg

Currently a temp. set-up as I just moved to PDX, and I am crashing with my girl. I have speaker stands, but they are packed away. I'll only be using this layout for a bit until I get my own place. My normal set up has the speakers away from the wall and on a unit with my TV, but it's nice to give my records their own set up.

mmf 2.2 > 551P MM Phono Pre-Amp > Sony STR-DH740 > Polk tsi200s

BeRPbML.jpg

^Nice setup. Cool to see another Portland dude on here.

well i certainly feel "underdressed" after looking at the last 20 or so pages, here's my current setup

i need a different cabinet or something to put this stuff in and get the turntables off the receiver/tape deck, i had them in a vertical rack until recently, wanted the components more spread out horizontally

Pro-ject Debut III - Ortofon OM5E
Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX2 - MMC4 Cartridge
Marantz 2230B Receiver
Technics RS-631 Cassette Deck
Polk Audio TSi300 Speakers

*to be fixed* Yamaha CR1020 Receiver - given to me by a friend, can only barely hear the audio when turned up fully, not sure what's wrong with it, sure looks nice though

the B&O was a $6 Goodwill find recently, I've been enjoying it as a "lazy" turntable, I can just drop a record on it and hit start and not have to touch anything, except maybe change the speed. replaced the belt and leveled the platter and works like a charm

definitely not sure about the marantz, i've had it a couple of years now and it's worked fine, the inside is absolutely FILTHY though, looks like a smoker owned it before me. i think it could definitely do with a service, i don't think it sounds as good as it should

also thinking about upgrading the cart on the pro-ject, any suggestions?
UPDATE: got a great deal on a 2m blue, pulled the trigger, hope i made a good choice...

any feedback would be appreciated, definitely looking to step up my game in this department

bfrg2dR.jpgigGrom8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think of the iBasso?

For what it is, and the price, I absolutely love it. You can get a used one for about $150. Which is a killer deal considering it's a DAP and DAC. It supports all fine types, has internal, and additional storage, supports all file types, etc. The touch screen is a little laggy. That might just be the firmware, but overall, I think it's fantastic. I might upgrade to something else in the future, but it definitely gets the job done. Especially paired with the mk2 via line out, it is warm, has a great clarity, and is loud as fuck. Definitely recommend it as an intro DAP.

For what it is, and the price, I absolutely love it. You can get a used one for about $150. Which is a killer deal considering it's a DAP and DAC. It supports all fine types, has internal, and additional storage, supports all file types, etc. The touch screen is a little laggy. That might just be the firmware, but overall, I think it's fantastic. I might upgrade to something else in the future, but it definitely gets the job done. Especially paired with the mk2 via line out, it is warm, has a great clarity, and is loud as fuck. Definitely recommend it as an intro DAP.

Alright, do I need a headphone amp? I've heard it has firmware issues, but I also saw some recent firmware updates on the iBasso site. Can you recommend any headphones? Going out of town a few times this summer and want something that sounds nice. Is the best way to get FLAC stuff to rip CDs in EAC? Sorry for being a n00b, just have zero idea about this stuff. I've been using an iPod since I was like 5 and am looking into getting that iBasso from the guy here. 

Alright, do I need a headphone amp? I've heard it has firmware issues, but I also saw some recent firmware updates on the iBasso site. Can you recommend any headphones? Going out of town a few times this summer and want something that sounds nice. Is the best way to get FLAC stuff to rip CDs in EAC? Sorry for being a n00b, just have zero idea about this stuff. I've been using an iPod since I was like 5 and am looking into getting that iBasso from the guy here. 

You don't need one, no. You can use the headphone jack to listen to it. The line out is used if you do decide to hook up an amp in the future. The amp will add clarity and volume, but the iBasso is plenty capable of powering whatever headphones you use just fine. I didn't add an amp to mine for a year after. Yeah, you can do that. I get all of my FLAC stuff online cause I don't have a CD drive. I use what.cd and various sources. That and download codes.

Also, can you switch microSD cards on the fly? I would need more than one to support my music library in FLAC.

It has to scan the card, which pretty much all players have to do. But you it scans pretty fast. Just depends how much data you have on it. It can scan my full 64gb micro in about 5 minutes which isn't horrible at all. But it accepts up to 2TB (when they come out).

You don't need one, no. You can use the headphone jack to listen to it. The line out is used if you do decide to hook up an amp in the future. The amp will add clarity and volume, but the iBasso is plenty capable of powering whatever headphones you use just fine. I didn't add an amp to mine for a year after. Yeah, you can do that. I get all of my FLAC stuff online cause I don't have a CD drive. I use what.cd and various sources. That and download codes.

It has to scan the card, which pretty much all players have to do. But you it scans pretty fast. Just depends how much data you have on it. It can scan my full 64gb micro in about 5 minutes which isn't horrible at all. But it accepts up to 2TB (when they come out).

Do you keep all your songs on the iBasso in FLAC or only certain things? If the latter, how do you decide what's FLAC worthy?

That is debatable but technically AAC is MP4 which is the successor to MP3 but for some reason people are stuck in their ways or associate AAC with iTunes so automatically hate it for that. It was developed by the same people who developed MP3, not apple.

There is always Ogg vorbis which I had faith in at one time and some people still use it. :)

That is debatable but technically AAC is MP4 which is the successor to MP3 but for some reason people are stuck in their ways or associate AAC with iTunes so automatically hate it for that. It was developed by the same people who developed MP3, not apple.

There is always Ogg vorbis which I had faith in at one time and some people still use it. :)

So which one would sound the best without taking up as much space as FLAC. And stuff like Ryan Adams or Pink Floyd would benefit from FLAC, but Slayer would not see as much of a benefit?