post your set-up thread

So I got some new toys tonight. Picked up one of these...

12401637_10204310876886747_5369880694289

And a pair of these...

1511854_10204310877246756_69227153801139

I know putting your speakers and turntable on the same shelf is Very Bad, but for now this setup is working pretty well for me.

10320884_10204310876686742_5979392240462

11061342_10204310876726743_2826464323097

I've only had this all set up long enough to spin the first side of Through Silver In Blood, but it already sounds 1000x better than the garbage setup I had before.

• 3 weeks later...

The evolution of my storage area. Some custom tweaks that you can't see -- the installation of a backing on the IKEA Kallax with spacers on each shelf and the hooks installed on the side of the Kallax for cord and dust cover storage. Pretty pleased with what I have going on right now with the small area that I have. Also a bonus shot of my record clean area as well.

image1%203_zpsyqpsj5bj.jpg

image2%202_zps3ic1p45r.jpg

image3%202_zpsuv5deox5.jpg

I used to have identical components. right down to the blue debut carbon and the rosewood 10.1s.

it's a little hard to tell but it looks like your speakers are right up against the wall.  I think you'd get significantly better sound if you moved them away at least ~6-8".  I don't recall what the recommended placement specs are offhand.

I used to have identical components. right down to the blue debut carbon and the rosewood 10.1s.

it's a little hard to tell but it looks like your speakers are right up against the wall. I think you'd get significantly better sound if you moved them away at least ~6-8". I don't recall what the recommended placement specs are offhand.

You are right, I used to have them about a foot away from the wall, but pushed them back about 1-2" to the wall purely for practical reasons of being easily able to access one of the shelves. I haven't noticed a sonic difference, but I'd rather have them further from the wall.

What's your current setup?

You are right, I used to have them about a foot away from the wall, but pushed them back about 1-2" to the wall purely for practical reasons of being easily able to access one of the shelves. I haven't noticed a sonic difference, but I'd rather have them further from the wall.

What's your current setup?

Current:

Marantz PM8004 (I went through both the 5004 and 6004),

Monitor Audio RX8s (Had the 10.1s and Monitor Audio RX1s before moving up to the floorstanding speakers)

Marantz TT-15S1 (went directly from the Debut Carbon)

Good to hear, I can't help thinking that's mostly down to the arm though although yes the Rock is a fine design and one a lot of the many heavy fixed tables copy (apart from the damping trough which seems to be uniquely Townsend), what cartridges have you tried in it? and have you experimented with damping fluid?

Hey allenh, so far I have experience a Jan Allaerts, Van Den Hul Grasshopper III GLA, Kiseki Purpleheart and a Denon DL103 through this arm. Each showed its personality unhindered pretty much.  Yes, I have tried with and without the dampening fluid, and the dampening fluid really adds another major level of quietude to the record.  It seems to so far have helped all the cartridges above, so much so that I pretty much have decided to leave it engaged the whole time. 

Hey allenh, so far I have experience a Jan Allaerts, Van Den Hul Grasshopper III GLA, Kiseki Purpleheart and a Denon DL103 through this arm. Each showed its personality unhindered pretty much.  Yes, I have tried with and without the dampening fluid, and the dampening fluid really adds another major level of quietude to the record.  It seems to so far have helped all the cartridges above, so much so that I pretty much have decided to leave it engaged the whole time. 

Nice, it is really as case of different rather than better or worse when you get to that level and yes the damping fluid makes quite a difference but be careful you can add too much, the voice of experience talking.

I do keep toying with the idea of selling some of my spare kit and going to see the guys at Helius with a wad of cash but it's the hassle of selling that puts me off, I'm ok with the buying but selling can be painful in more ways than one.