post your set-up thread

I can relate...I have been listening to this tonight!

21697955124_11d326c3bd_c.jpg

And going through all my Opeth collection, I just realized that I can't find my Ghost Reveries LP!  Ordering a copy tonight!!!!  I can't wait for the damn album to show up in my collection as who knows when I'll find it.  Don't mind having 2 copies of it....I'll wear it down eventually.

I haven't given them a good listen yet but have been meaning to. Where do I start? 

I'm going to upgrade my speakers around Christmas, but I'll never have that awesome of a setup.

Honestly, I would start from the beginning so you can see how they mature over time and the different directions they take...they are an EPIC band.

I'm going to the 25th Anniversary concert on the 24th of this month at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles, with my wife.  Stoked and pumped for it!

http://thescenestar.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c7a7453ef01b8d116bee3970c-400wi

my room is pretty small, so I had to stand on a chair to take this picture. furthest thing left (with lights) sitting on the mini fridge is my tape deck. currently listening to the UO mixtape #10 RFC put out.

ZbRfPBx.jpg

I dig your setup, yeti. those speakers are massive.

i want to see what that Deafheaven poster looks like

• 4 weeks later...

Yes that turntable does look a bit out of place amongst those speakers. I was expecting to see something a lot larger and opulent either side.

Very nice turntable though

Dont knock the speakers until you try em ;) Genelec 8330 with a 5040 sub... they are super clean and VERY true... id recommend these anyday :) they do however look a little tiny next to the TT :)

Dont knock the speakers until you try em ;) Genelec 8330 with a 5040 sub... they are super clean and VERY true... id recommend these anyday :) they do however look a little tiny next to the TT :)

I wasn't knocking them, I know what they are, have heard them and it's no secret I'm not a fan of powered monitors so they wouldn't be my choice but that table just looks out of place between them

21722310214_1ed348c1f3_b.jpg

Holy shit! This looks like it needs its own nuclear power plant... :D

I can relate...I have been listening to this tonight!

21697955124_11d326c3bd_c.jpg

And going through all my Opeth collection, I just realized that I can't find my Ghost Reveries LP!  Ordering a copy tonight!!!!  I can't wait for the damn album to show up in my collection as who knows when I'll find it.  Don't mind having 2 copies of it....I'll wear it down eventually.

Good choice! ;)

I haven't given them a good listen yet but have been meaning to. Where do I start? 

I'm going to upgrade my speakers around Christmas, but I'll never have that awesome of a setup.

Honestly, I would start from the beginning so you can see how they mature over time and the different directions they take...they are an EPIC band.

I'm going to the 25th Anniversary concert on the 24th of this month at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles, with my wife.  Stoked and pumped for it!

http://thescenestar.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c7a7453ef01b8d116bee3970c-400wi

Honestly, I wouldn't start from the beginning! The earlier stuff can be quite disturbing if you want to get access to this band...I'd start with either Damnation (if you want to explore calm Opeth), Deliverance (if you want to explore brutal Opeth), Blackwater Park (if you want to explore best & most diverse Opeth) or Ghost Reveries (if you want to explore the last good stuff released by Opeth)! Afterwards check out their back catalogue! ;)

I'd go with BLACKWATER PARK! One of the best records ever released...still can't believe what the band has become! :(

I wasnt being serious :) ... id love to get the bigger set of 3 way genelec's but its a little too pricey for me... yes i agree they do look a little underwhelming however i do love how they sound :)

Pricey? That tonearm on your table costs almost as much as my entire system! ;)

Holy shit! This looks like it needs its own nuclear power plant... :D

Good choice! ;)

Honestly, I wouldn't start from the beginning! The earlier stuff can be quite disturbing if you want to get access to this band...I'd start with either Damnation (if you want to explore calm Opeth), Deliverance (if you want to explore brutal Opeth), Blackwater Park (if you want to explore best & most diverse Opeth) or Ghost Reveries (if you want to explore the last good stuff released by Opeth)! Afterwards check out their back catalogue! ;)

I'd go with BLACKWATER PARK! One of the best records ever released...still can't believe what the band has become! :(

I think your strategy of getting into Opeth is better than mine actually.  I personally like starting at the beginning to understand where a band comes from to be where they are today, but that's just me.

I wish I had my own power plant.  Damn electricity bill is usually not funny at my home :(

I did a temporary change to the setup to just .... change things up I guess!  

22902715890_f459668c76_c.jpg

Those are single driver bookshelf speakers hooked up to a 300B based integrated amplifier (on the floor in the middle).  It is a beautiful sound, but mostly great for Jazz, small group, chamber kind of music.  Rock breaks it apart as speakers don't go low enough....still heavenly to listen to!

I think your strategy of getting into Opeth is better than mine actually.  I personally like starting at the beginning to understand where a band comes from to be where they are today, but that's just me.

I wish I had my own power plant.  Damn electricity bill is usually not funny at my home :(

I did a temporary change to the setup to just .... change things up I guess!  

22902715890_f459668c76_c.jpg

Those are single driver bookshelf speakers hooked up to a 300B based integrated amplifier (on the floor in the middle).  It is a beautiful sound, but mostly great for Jazz, small group, chamber kind of music.  Rock breaks it apart as speakers don't go low enough....still heavenly to listen to!

Nice AP copy of headhunters.  I just ordered that, I simply cannot get enough of Analogue Production's releases, they're probably my favorite record label along with Speaker's Corner.

Is that a Hanns Acoustics turntable with a Clearaudio Souther TQ-1 Linear tracking tonearm? Bitchin' setup!  What is the phono?  I see an Audio Technica OC9 MKII cartridge as well, so curious about the phono.  

Congrats!

the phono stage for now is just a project phono box s but am upgrading... have just put in a new preamp.. a Drawmer HQ ... unfortunately the phono input is only for MM carts :( i'll most likely end up going for a Hanss PA20 or PA23 :)

the phono stage for now is just a project phono box s but am upgrading... have just put in a new preamp.. a Drawmer HQ ... unfortunately the phono input is only for MM carts :( i'll most likely end up going for a Hanss PA20 or PA23 :)

If you like your Drawmers phono stage you could always get some decent step up transformers so you could use the AT with it

I havent thought of that ... ill look into it :) thanks!

We have a company called Stevens & Billington over here that winds bespoke ones and I bet there's someone in Aus that does the same.

http://www.stevens-billington.co.uk/pagehifi.htm

One trick is to use Microphone step ups as quite often they have more than one tapping so you can get the right step up ratio and a lot of them even older ones are extremely close tolerance and high quality.

I've had a pair of Billingtons I've had for years and that I use with my Koetsu and they are absolutely superb