post your set-up thread

Hey guys! First post...

Here is my very first "listening room" setup. It's mostly my unused home theater gear repurposed. I am slowly figuring out what I want to do.

Onkyo 876

SVS towers

AT lp60

Plans are for Salk song towers, better suited integrated amp, and either Rega RP1 or ProJect Carbon

58CEE70F-5308-46A4-9AE6-38723299CE9D.jpg

Finally got my stuff in and set up. First time setting something like this up (TT and speakers) but went pretty smooth. The counter weight/anti skate, took some trial and error, then had fuzz in one speaker but tweaked it and boom. Sounds greats, pretty loud for bookshelf speakers. Feels good to have a nice setup.

pro-ject essential 2 phono usb

micca pb42x speakers

rps20150130_002624_zps7396395c.jpg

the thing to consider is that a turntable tracks very small bumps in a record's grooves and turns those bumps into a weak signal that gets amplified and turned into sound via a magnet moving a speaker driver.    

you want to avoid feeding those vibrations back into the turntable.  moving the speakers off of the turntable's base will go a long way toward keeping the signal clean.

the thing to consider is that a turntable tracks very small bumps in a record's grooves and turns those bumps into a weak signal that gets amplified and turned into sound via a magnet moving a speaker driver.    

you want to avoid feeding those vibrations back into the turntable.  moving the speakers off of the turntable's base will go a long way toward keeping the signal clean.

awesome

Don't listen to Tardy, his table is junk.

ha

Tardcore's table rules!

I'm with the others. Definitely get stands. Having the speakers a bit further apart will help as well.  Also your speakers are a bit towed out. straighten them out and give a bit of inward toe and you will image better. With speakers so close you will have a pretty small sweet spot, but it will be there. Things will get a bit better once you have them further part on stands.

I put my floor standing speakers on spikes and that helped the sound quality a lot. I agree that putting speakers hard onto the same surface that your turntable is on is a recipe to endless hum and rumble.

I'm still using Soundlab DL-P1R turntables from my old DJ days. The Stereo mixer went in the loft when I moved on from that and I plugged the turntables direct into the amplifiers.

I have in my lounge:

Soundlab DL-P1R

Stanton 500 Carrtidge

Sony TA-F448EB amplifier

Eltax Titanium floorstanding speakers (on solid spikes)

In my Library I have:

Soundlab DL-P1R

Stanton 500 Cartridge

Pioneer A-10 amplifier

Q-Acoustic bookshelf speakers on flexible rubber pads

Despite being tiny by comparison, the Q-Acoustics give a better sound quality than the big floor standers. I bought the little speakers recently, but the floorstanders are 15 years old and date from when I was at University. I guess speaker technology moved on a lot over that time.

Despite being tiny by comparison, the Q-Acoustics give a better sound quality than the big floor standers. I bought the little speakers recently, but the floorstanders are 15 years old and date from when I was at University. I guess speaker technology moved on a lot over that time.

It has but it's more a case of Eltax makes from not very good up to quite good and Q-Acoustics starts at quite good and works up from there.

Fair enough. The Eltax were purchased when I was 19 and I think cost was probably the biggest consideration for me! I've been more than happy with them (and they're currently doing Katy Perry justice) but I was really taken by the quality of the Q-Acoustics. I would certainly buy another pair of them (plus they have the advantage that they were available in a wood finish that was a perfect match for the shelving in my library).

• 4 weeks later...

Rega RP3

Marantz PM6004

Next purchase will probably be the Wharfedale Diamonds.

Was also wondering if it was worth getting the Bellari VP530

I have't touched this setup in a long time. Outside of adding Speakers and the TTPSU, is there anything I'm missing? Or am I running an okay setup that is going to last me a good while?