NHL Discussion

Hawks are looking good with back-to-back winners this weekend. They have been playing well since they switched coaches. Started the season 1-2-1, since the switch they have been 4-1-2.

Though I love watching them, and I thought it was a great idea at first, the concept of the shootout is pretty stupid. It's an incredibly arbitrary way to end a game. If you lose the shootout, you should definitely get the point. If you win, you get the extra point. That makes perfect sense. They should get rid of the OTL point though. If you lose in overtime, you lose and get nothing. If you lose in the shootout, you get 1. Less 3 point games would definitely be better.

I am, however, pretty happy with the current schedule. I proposed something similar to this a year or two ago (not to the league, as I doubt they care what I have to say concerning the schedule). The way it is set up currently, there are 30 teams in the league, 15 per conference, 5 per division. Each team plays their division rivals 6 times (3 home, 3 away). They play each conference, non-division team 4 times (2 home, 2 away). They then play the remainder of the games against the other conference (18 games total), meaning they play every team at least once either home or away and then 3 of the teams they play home AND away. This is rather stupid.

Division games - 6 x 4 teams = 24 games

Conference games - 4 x 10 teams = 40 games

Non-conference games - 1 x 15 teams = 15 games + 3 extra games per year (teams they play twice)

Here's what I think they should do:

Division games - 6 x 4 teams = 24 games (this stays the same - 3 home and 3 away vs. each division team)

Conference games - 3 x 10 teams = 30 games (each team plays 2 home and 1 away or 1 home and 2 away against each division team - this could alternate every year - for example, Ducks would play @ the Blues twice and at home once this year, then at home twice and @ the Blues once next year, alternating every year).

Non-conference games - 2 x 15 teams = 30 games (1 home, 1 away against every team, every year)

It'd end up being a total of 84 games. So 2 extra games in the season, but every team plays in every city at least once every year. I think it'd be awesome, especially for people whose favorite team plays in the other conference and only comes to town once every few years. That shit is silly!

Wow, that Boston play-by-play guy is fucking TERRIBLE. I tracked down youtube videos of the fights and I can't even get through them because that guy makes me want to kill myself. What a fucking god-awful announcer he is.

I HATE THEIR ANNOUNCING TANDEM! I had to stream a Pen's game on the 'net once and it was a Boston feed. Ugh sooooo awful!

Brendan Kelly References the Blues and not the Hawks in his blog:

" AND I’ve talked a lot of politics and registered a lot of kids to vote. Then they just would get all pitying, and look at me like a dumb dreamer, like the way a jaded hockey coach looks at a kid who talks about how it’s gonna be when he’s on the Blues or something."

I hate Avery as a player, wouldn't expect him to be anything less than a douche off the ice.

Eh most guys are different on the ice than they are off so its not out of the realm that Avery is just an act. I think the dude probably is nicer if he wanted to be. I think he revels in being a nasty bastard.

So I met Sean Avery today and to my surprise he is a douche, haha dont know what I was expecting, I still like him as a player though

wait him being a douche surprised you? he's king douche. what were you expecting?

nah I was just joking, i just finally witnessed it in person. Maybe he was just having a bad day though