NHL Discussion

Gonchar was suppose to be out 4-6 months from everything I've read.

That's what they said from Day 1 and they had it on the screen for the Philly game too. I don't know if there were any updates during the game on Saturday as I was at the arena.

6-months is March, but they said 4-6.

Gonchar was suppose to be out 4-6 months from everything I've read.

That's what they said from Day 1 and they had it on the screen for the Philly game too. I don't know if there were any updates during the game on Saturday as I was at the arena.

6-months is March, but they said 4-6.

Sounds right, which means he could be back by around the All-Star break if he was on the early end of the spectrum.

you realize gonchar isn't coming back until March, right?

You've said March a few times now, but I've never heard anyone else say that. I mean the latest could be March, but he could be back sooner.

Thu, Nov 13 D Sergei Gonchar (left shoulder) had surgery to correct a dislocation Oct. 2. He is out until at least March. He was injured on Sept. 20 in the Penguins' exhibition opener.

(Yahoo! Sports)

they're not going rush Gonchar back from shoulder surgery. why would they? they've got a plethora of D-men playing fine, no need to risk his health/career by rushing him back before March. Also, by keeping him out all season it could lower his value and create an opportunity for the Pens to resign him. Had he not been injured and played like last season there is no way the Pens would keep him... some team would drop top dollar for him and the Pens cant do that with Staal in the wings for a contract on top of the big three.

trade rumor!

Fedotenko/WBS Pen/1st Rd Draft/ Eaton OR Scuds

for

COLBY ARMSTRONG / KOVALCHUK!!!!!!!!!

WOULD. DO! Especially with Whitney coming back in a few weeks, free's up that D spot for him, brings Kovalchuk for Crosby's wing and brings Colby back to make hilarious jokes!

trade rumor!

for

WOULD. DO! Especially with Whitney coming back in a few weeks, free's up that D spot for him, brings Kovalchuk for Crosby's wing and brings Colby back to make hilarious jokes!

That can't be true. That's a great trade if so. I'm warming up to Feds, but he can be easily replaced.

Satan - Crosby - Kovalchuk

Dupuis - Malkin - Sykora

Cooke - Staal - Kennedy

Talbot - Ziggy - Godard/Colby

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

I love Scuds, but I'd make that trade.

I think Eaton needs sometime and he'll shake that rust and be just as good as he was -- which is just as good as Scuds is playing now.

Whitney - Orpik

Gogo - Bouche

Gill - Letang

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN

trade rumor!

for

You have to ask yourself something though, why in their right mind would Atlanta do that? Ever? If I'm running Atlanta I'd have to get top flight, NHL studly young talent for Chuk.

Sorry Pens fan, I can't see that happening at all. Especially Armstrong and Chuk for that package. For both those guys you're giving up Staal. No way if I'm running Atlanta and dealing with the Pens am I trading Armstrong and Chuck without getting Malkin or Staal or something like that in return.

trade rumor!

for

You have to ask yourself something though, why in their right mind would Atlanta do that? Ever? If I'm running Atlanta I'd have to get top flight, NHL studly young talent for Chuk.

Sorry Pens fan, I can't see that happening at all. Especially Armstrong and Chuk for that package. For both those guys you're giving up Staal. No way if I'm running Atlanta and dealing with the Pens am I trading Armstrong and Chuck without getting Malkin or Staal or something like that in return.

remember when they trade Hossa and Dupois for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and a draft pick? Basically, this is that same trade, a top prospect, a draft pick and two scrubs for two solid players.

No way man, Esposito should have NEVER fallen to the Pens, he was suppose to go #1 for a good year before the draft. Plus you're talking Armstrong + Chuk, which is 2 grade-A players for one grade B- guy, a top prospect, a first round pick in the 20-30 range, and a defenseman (? - sorry not familiar with Scuds or Eaton specifically).

How does that help Atlanta at all? Fedotenko means nothing to them or their fans. I'm telling you, if I'm running ATL I'm asking for Malkin or Staal + all the guys you've mentioned if I'm letting you pry Chuk out of my hands and do it in my own conference no less.

No way man, Esposito should have NEVER fallen to the Pens, he was suppose to go #1 for a good year before the draft. Plus you're talking Armstrong + Chuk, which is 2 grade-A players for one grade B- guy, a top prospect, a first round pick in the 20-30 range, and a defenseman (? - sorry not familiar with Scuds or Eaton specifically).

How does that help Atlanta at all? Fedotenko means nothing to them or their fans. I'm telling you, if I'm running ATL I'm asking for Malkin or Staal + all the guys you've mentioned if I'm letting you pry Chuk out of my hands and do it in my own conference no less.

Esposito is a bust.

Malkin?!?! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

I don't think that trade will happen though.

Esposito is a bust.

You can laugh all you want but then you're not being reasonable when it comes to:

A) What the Pens have in spades (i.e. talented centers)

B) How good Chuk would be with a highly talented center.

Chuk has NEVER scored less than 29 goals as an NHL player and has never had less than 51 points. If you exclude his rookie season he hasn't scored less than 38 or had less than 67 points. When the Thrashers were really going he got up to as many as 98 points. He's a hell of a player who's never played with a talented team AND he's 25. Almost 300 career goals (if he has a normal year this year, he'll get to 300 this year) and he's 25! He won't turn 26 until the end of this NHL year - April. That means you'll get a perennial 40-50 if not more goal scorer for at least 8 more years.

He had Heatley for a bit and then had Hossa but never much else and nothing ever in the way of a center. Can you imagine how many goals he'd score? 60 is easily within his reach and he might even get in to the 70s. You're telling me Malkin isn't a fair return value? Common.

Esposito is a bust.

You can laugh all you want but then you're not being reasonable when it comes to:

A) What the Pens have in spades (i.e. talented centers)

B) How good Chuk would be with a highly talented center.

Chuk has NEVER scored less than 29 goals as an NHL player and has never had less than 51 points. If you exclude his rookie season he hasn't scored less than 38 or had less than 67 points. When the Thrashers were really going he got up to as many as 98 points. He's a hell of a player who's never played with a talented team AND he's 25. Almost 300 career goals (if he has a normal year this year, he'll get to 300 this year) and he's 25! He won't turn 26 until the end of this NHL year - April. That means you'll get a perennial 40-50 if not more goal scorer for at least 8 more years.

He had Heatley for a bit and then had Hossa but never much else and nothing ever in the way of a center. Can you imagine how many goals he'd score? 60 is easily within his reach and he might even get in to the 70s. You're telling me Malkin isn't a fair return value? Common.

The Pens wouldn't trade Malkin -- his contract is too good.

Also, they can't trade him this year anyways, since he just signed his new contract. I'm pretty sure that's against the rules.

You don't trade the 1 out of the 3 best players in the NHL.

Also, they can't trade him this year anyways, since he just signed his new contract. I'm pretty sure that's against the rules.

Then you don't get the second best (arguably) goal-scorer in the game from a team in your own conference. I also mentioned Staal. I'd be shocked, and frankly the GM in ATL would be doing a horrible job, if he didn't get Staal OR Malkin in a trade for Chuk, especially if you're talking more than just Chuk going.

If Gretzky can be traded anyone can be traded.

Then you don't get the second best (arguably) goal-scorer in the game from a team in your own conference. I also mentioned Staal. I'd be shocked, and frankly the GM in ATL would be doing a horrible job, if he didn't get Staal OR Malkin in a trade for Chuk, especially if you're talking more than just Chuk going.

If Gretzky can be traded anyone can be traded.

I could see Staal going, but Shero won't trade Malkin. Yeah Gretzkey was traded, but unless someone packages an insane deal Malkin will be here for awhile.

Staal could be traded if they can't get a reasonable deal done. Shero is a magician right now though.

The only thing with Malkin or Staal is there's a glut of talented centers on the Pens now and they need a winger. So it makes sense to trade a center. Now, Malkin can play wing with Crosby but some secondary scoring is needed consistently. I'm not saying they should trade Malkin but swapping Malkin for Chuk does make good sense for both teams from a need/want perspective. It won't happen, Malkin isn't going but no one could fault either team for making that swap.

you're both forgetting that Kovi is a rent a player. he's this years hossa. so no way is a top level talent like staal or geno going for a rent a player. also we got dupuis who was better by himself down the stretch than any player we traded. last year, they got a few scrubs and a pick for hossa and dup. army is a average player and not a top 2 line winger on most good teams. EC is serviceable on a 4th line role and main value is shootout. Espo is a bust, plus was a low pick by us anyways. and a 29th overall pick doesn't hurt to much. this is basically the same deal.