NHL Discussion

Sounds like the situation with Drouin in Tampa is getting worse.Suspended without pay indefinitely.

Yeah, he refused to dress up for an AHL game because he does not want to risk getting injured prior to a possible trade.. This is just all kind of wrong, I really hope that no team will bite and that he will have to stay in the AHL for the remainder of the season.

His situation is pretty complicated, but I wonder how much behind-the-scenes puppetry is going on around this. It's obvious that by the time Drouin would need a new contract, Tampa would be flat out of money given the amount of players who are due for raises in the next little while. Tampa's a very decently deep team (and only now are they really going to come into their own). I wonder if Drouin's agent saw that, realized that whether or not Drouin was going to play in the NHL or AHL, he wouldn't be paid like they feel he should, and so started putting the pressure on the team. It's shitty though, because players who begin their careers with sour relationships with teams always leave a bit of a funny feeling with the fans. Lindros pulled this shit his whole career, and while he might have been somewhat beloved in Philly for a while, retrospectively, his off-ice shit will always be associated with his on-ice reputation.

Would love to see Drouin not get traded. But then he's not playing and not developing. Hopefully no team overpays for him.

To me this is not about his relation to the fans or the team, but the teammates. Not dressing up for a game is pretty much the biggest sign of disrespect for them. Would you want to play with or stand up for a guy who puts himself first, and the team second? That is so selfish and disrespectful. I know that this is mostly his agents doing, but damn.

Plus, 3 points in 7 AHL games is not the best sign that you should be playing as a top 6 forward in the NHL.

I think Yzerman is in an interesting situation here. If he keeps him and keeps him suspended, his trade value goes down the longer he's out. His contract doesn't run out until after next year. And I think he's still a restricted free agent after that. He would probably get barely anything in return. And who knows what he's going to do with Stamkos. Maybe a package deal shipping both of them. I question Yzerman's intent sometimes. He's either very clever or very bullheaded. Perhaps we'll know by the trade deadline.

Montreal GM Bergevin has just confirmed that Therrien will not be fired this season.

So this means that I will have to suffer through another 30 games of virtually no youth getting a chance, Galchenyuk not being allowed to learn the ropes as center(because that spot is reserved for David freaking Desharnais).., young forwards with a scoring touch (Carr, Andrighetto) having to stay in St. Johns because Therrien wants to play Weise, Flynn and Byron as first- and second-liners, having Tom freaking Gilbert playing D instead of Pateryn or Barberio and Markov logging heavy minutes instead of Beaulieu. Fuck me..

Just gonna leave this here... NSFW.

http://imgur.com/a/ZCheZ

...your NHL All-Star, ladies and gentlemen.

Geez.

It's tough, all of this, because even with the clusterfuck of a case last summer, with nothing coming of it, I feel that there's not nearly enough hard evidence for any of this to come to light in a proper way. I really don't think that the few people who have come forward about this kind of things are lying. I know the whole summer assault case was a mess, but that wasn't the first time Kane was in trouble for his conduct.  

I know he's probably not the first professional athlete to do this kind of thing, and again, with no actual proof, it's hard to say that he definitely did it, but still, it makes me sad to think that anyone could get away with this...

Is anyone else more interested than usual in the all star game? I've watched sometimes over the years, but I think the format, and John Scott, will be pretty amusing. 

Or someone's gonna get injured and this will be a total disaster.

It'll pretty much be one or the other.

But it was not his fault! ;-)

“I took a pretty hard hit down in the corner and had some pretty good pain in my shoulder and my neck and I was just trying to get off the ice,” Wideman told reporters after the game. “I was kind of keeled over and at the last second, I looked up and I saw him and I couldn't avoid it.”

But it was not his fault! ;-)

“I took a pretty hard hit down in the corner and had some pretty good pain in my shoulder and my neck and I was just trying to get off the ice,” Wideman told reporters after the game. “I was kind of keeled over and at the last second, I looked up and I saw him and I couldn't avoid it.”

"no, really, I was cleaning it and it just went off!"