Kid Dynamite Tribute update...

*just got this in the email box*

To All the Kid Dynamite Fans and Vinyl Nerds,

First and foremost, Black Numbers would like to thank you for being a part of what we feel is a really cool and important project. Now that we've got the obligatory asskissing out of the way, we need to address an issue that's come up: we totally fucked up and added more bands and songs to the record than one 33rpm record will hold. Our bad. Here's where you come in...

If you check out the Myspace for Carry the Torch, you'll notice the current prices are a bit higher than they were when you ordered yours: $16.50 for the LP and $40 for the Boxed Set. We'd appreciate it if you'd PayPal us the difference ($3.50 for the single LPs/$8 for the Boxed Sets) to help us pad the cost of the changes we're making to the project. Don't worry, the record is definitely coming out. So you might be asking, "Why should I give you any more money if the record is definitely coming out?" Here's why we think you wouldn't mind sending us a few extra bills:

1) Instead of a single LP, Carry the Torch will be released on a double LP (same colors and quantities apply, only difference is each will have 2 records in them)

2) Anyone who ordered before the price increase who PayPals us the difference will receive a free digital download of Carry the Torch.

So please, if you're willing to help us out, PayPal the difference to:

[email protected]

($3.50 for the single LPs/$8 for the Boxed Sets)

Try to include a little note as to what you ordered, because we're going to have a LOT of organizing to do.

We're not out here to pad our wallets. If we were, we wouldn't be donating a portion of the sales to The Callum Robbins Fund. We're doing this to pay tribute to one of our favorite bands and to be involved in a community of people who appreciate underground music. We thought long and hard, and this was the most fair way we could come up with to cover our asses and make it worth it to you guys to send a few extra bucks. We hope you feel the same way.

Sincerely,

Phil, Anthony, and Dave

Black Numbers

www.theblacknumbers.com

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's kind of shady to ask for more money. I think they should honor the price people originally paid and charge more for every order after. I can't think of any other situation where you would pay for something one day and then months later have someone asking for more money. Granted, in this case there are additional costs, but it's an agreed upon price. That would never happen with a car, computer or other item, why should records be any different?

I do understand that stuff happens but I'm a little bummed out that it's like, "We announced this, took orders, and now realize we can't do it as a single LP, so can you please make up the difference in cost, even though you already ordered?"

I'll probably do it because I support the idea and want to support indie labels, but this is the issue when pre-orders are done to pay for the initial pressing costs.

i'm going to send them an email i think.

what are you gonna say about it?

this is upsetting. good cause, yeah, but didn't we already pay extra for shipping on top of the record? and they should have cut some of the tracks out instead of openly accepting submissions from bands to get on it.

should have planned better.

werent they aware of how long a 33RPM record was when they moved on this? they should have known from the get go that if we have x-number of songs, this record will have to be two... I paid already for the pre-order, it sucks they didnt plan enough early on for this, its not my fault/problem they fucked up.

also, offering a digital download for $3.50? Why would I pay money for something im going to download anyways? I just want the record, again, not my problem they messed up, I paid already, im not paying anymore.

this is upsetting. good cause, yeah, but didn't we already pay extra for shipping on top of the record? and they should have cut some of the tracks out instead of openly accepting submissions from bands to get on it.

Or, instead of cutting the tracks, just send the shit out so people can get stoked on a free LP or bonus record or something.

i'm just going to tell them how unprofessional this is and ask why they thought like, 30 tracks could fit on a single lp.

idk if i'm gonna send it yet though

and what will happen if i don't send the extra money? will i get refunded? they never specified... i want my record without getting charged extra.

It sounds to me like paying the extra amount is optional and you'll still get the records either way. They just didn't want to make it sound 'too' optional or few people would pay the money.

I actually think they'd be more successful if they made it sound like they fucked up bad and that paying the extra would be very highly appreciated but completely optional. They come off just a bit too much like they're owed the extra money.

and what will happen if i don't send the extra money? will i get refunded? they never specified... i want my record without getting charged extra.

Since it's a double LP now, maybe you'll only get 1 of the records, and they'll hold the other one hostage until you pay the extra $3.50?

If that were the case, they'd probably charge extra shipping too.

from black numbers:

Hey dude,

I totally understand where you're coming from.

Which is why it's a suggested donation of the extra cash, not a requirement.

Everyone who already paid for their records will be getting the double LP for the original price. The new prices are for orders placed after the date we changed them.

I thought I explained that in the letter, and if it wasn't clear, I apologize. We messed up by not looking into it and finding out exactly what we were working with from the start.

So you're right, you shouldn't have to send us money, and you don't have to.

As an incentive to get people to help us out, we worked it out with Charles from Get Outta Town (who is putting out the CD version) to allow us to give anyone who does donate the extra money to get a free Digital Download of the record, which is something that did not come with original single LP version we announced.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding. You don't have to send us any extra money and you will receive your order no problem. It's going to be a double LP instead of the single LP you paid for, but colors and all that will remain the same. IE: if you ordered gold, you will recieve a double LP on gold. if you ordered a boxed set, you will recieve 2 gold, 2 white, 2 black, etc..

Thanks again for your interest in the project,

Dave//BN