"The Vinyl Bubble"

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty impressive to see that one guy on the internet can get people all fired up. It's one guys opinion and quite frankly it doesn't effect me in anyway. Most of my vinyl hunting and collecting was primarily based around classic rock records and I spent a lot of my time trying to find records that weren't completely beat to hell or first presses abandoned in a yard sale milk crate somewhere.

Having just recently started buying indie and punk releases on vinyl, i could already tell that its a completely different ball game. First presses in limited colors go quick and you really have to be ontop of things to get one. Not to mention tour and store exclusives that add fuel to the fire. For a quick moment I thought about trying to collect records in ever color, but that idea went out the window real quick. The amount of time along with the stress it would put on my wallet just made the idea seem illogical to me. I'd much rather spend the money it would cost to buy 40 different colors of Axl Rose and buy only one copy and 39 other records i didn't already have.

I try to get first presses because I like the piece of mind I have knowing I got one. It has nothing to do with flipping or bragging I just my own personal niche. If I can't find a first pressing of a record or a limited color then I simply pick up what ever pressing is available. I'd like a first pressing of Sink or Swim on black or the 59 Sound on white, but I'm not gonna pay the price they're currently going for, so I just picked up a black copy instead and when the hype dies off, I'll keep an eye out again. Simple when you think about it.

I guess the whole point of my rant is you have the choice to buy it or not. No one is telling you need to buy every color/pressing of a record available. Yea you may have to buy the gift set in order to get the limited silk screened cover, but the only person proposing that you "need" to buy it is yourself.

It happened with comics, baseball cards, and all the other hobbies that have come and gone. As long as people keep suffering form the "Need to have it syndrome," over saturation isn't going to go away.

-Erik

I think the point that's being overlooked is what happens when the vinyl fad dies down?

what happened to innovation and originality, making releases different instead of pandering to one crowed for the "sure bet"?

What happens if/when the bottom drops out, and no one's really got a business model, just 15 different colors of the same release?

I felt like this would bunch a ton of people's panties. Thanks for proving that feeling right, some of you.

It's one guy's opinion, and he raises a few good points. yes, he used Virgil as an example. An example. Not some "worst offender" as some of you perceive what he said as a massive slight. Many people are guilty, but VC is somewhat at the forefont because of the vinyl craze. It's not just him, but he could been seen as a bit of a figurehead because he's done so well with vinyl. I'm not singling anyone out, I'm just unsurprised to find so many reactionary, ill-thought-out posts.

I'm just unsurprised to find so many reactionary, ill-thought-out posts.

Isn't that the point of debating something on a message board? Posting your gut reaction?

This whole argument doesn't affect me at all. I buy the records I want to buy and will continue to do so. When I miss things, I find them either through a sale or trade. Never once have I felt like I got seriously hosed.

Anyway, shame on you for chiding people for having a reaction and an opinion that differs from yours.

And when the "fad dies down," there will still be enough people -- the ones who have been there all along -- to still buy releases and enjoy records. Labels will just have to rethink how they sell it when one person isn't buying 20 copies of the same record because they're all a different shade of green.

I think the point that's being overlooked is what happens when the vinyl fad dies down?

what happened to innovation and originality, making releases different instead of pandering to one crowed for the "sure bet"?

What happens if/when the bottom drops out, and no one's really got a business model, just 15 different colors of the same release?

I felt like this would bunch a ton of people's panties. Thanks for proving that feeling right, some of you.

It's one guy's opinion, and he raises a few good points. yes, he used Virgil as an example. An example. Not some "worst offender" as some of you perceive what he said as a massive slight. Many people are guilty, but VC is somewhat at the forefont because of the vinyl craze. It's not just him, but he could been seen as a bit of a figurehead because he's done so well with vinyl. I'm not singling anyone out, I'm just unsurprised to find so many reactionary, ill-thought-out posts.

"15 different colors of vinyl" is a business model. It's not one that's sustainable, but it is one.

Clearly it's going to be one large money grab until the bubble bursts. There is nothing that we as consumers and fans can do about that other than insulate ourselves as best as we can.

I'm just unsurprised to find so many reactionary, ill-thought-out posts.

Isn't that the point of debating something on a message board? Posting your gut reaction?

This whole argument doesn't affect me at all. I buy the records I want to buy and will continue to do so. When I miss things, I find them either through a sale or trade. Never once have I felt like I got seriously hosed.

Anyway, shame on you for chiding people for having a reaction and an opinion that differs from yours.

And when the "fad dies down," there will still be enough people -- the ones who have been there all along -- to still buy releases and enjoy records. Labels will just have to rethink how they sell it when one person isn't buying 20 copies of the same record because they're all a different shade of green.

Nowhere in my post do i chide anyone for having a reaction and an opinion differing from mine. I mentioned some people who clearly didn't read the article and chose to "read between the lines" or assumed that it was some character assassination piece, things known to us as an overreaction. Or the people that blew everything out of control and context like you just did. I'm also allowed to have my opinion on how people (over)reacted, just like you.

And thank you for reiterating my point in your last paragraph.

"15 different colors of vinyl" is a business model. It's not one that's sustainable, but it is one.

Clearly it's going to be one large money grab until the bubble bursts. There is nothing that we as consumers and fans can do about that other than insulate ourselves as best as we can.

I definitely agree. I just hope some people have ideas as to what to do next when the bubble bursts. i'd be really curious to hear from virgil, var, people like that.

Nowhere in my post do i chide anyone for having a reaction and an opinion differing from mine. I mentioned some people who clearly didn't read the article and chose to "read between the lines" or assumed that it was some character assassination piece, things known to us as an overreaction. Or the people that blew everything out of control and context like you just did. I'm also allowed to have my opinion on how people (over)reacted, just like you.

I think calling people's posts ill tought out is chiding them.

I think calling people's posts ill tought out is chiding them.

I disagree, as it was not my intent. See how easy that is?

• 8 months later...
Guest luckylacquers

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but originally, 1st presses were sought after and valued the most, because the 1st press was made from the 1st round of plating from a 3-step process, making it the highest sound quality. Not sure that same rule of thumb applies today, but I am definitely guilty of geaking out a bit for the band merch that comes along w/ a label's package deal. : )

I put out almost all the Spits records, so definitely guilty of doing awkward represses too, but every time, I have at least tried to do something different or better w/ the mastering for a different run as well. It's just fun!

I'm shameless....

• 1 year later...

I take anything any of the punknews.org editors say with a grain of salt. They are the most cynical/negative editors in the scene imho. Listen to their podcast, they rip on EVERY topic. I don't need some $.25 Canadian Henry Rollins's opinions to justify the way I enjoy to listen music, or the overall quality of the music I favor.