questions for the "collectors"

dude. seriously, why the fuck does everyone think they need to collect every variation of every band...even bands they moderately like?

I just don't get the reasoning behind the idea that you'rd be afraid to check out a band because you think you'll like them more and then be forced to collect EVERYTHING...by who? Who's got the gun to your head?

Do you think that if you like a band it's your necessary duty to own EVERYTHING? Why would owning a single copy be such a terrible thing?

I'm just baffled by people's consistent behavior, like it's a assumed that all of us adhere to that thought...

I have way too much time on my hands. somebody help me find a new job, pronto.

discuss or tell me to shut up.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's exciting to try and get all of the variants of something, especially if some are more obscure than others. That is just part of a collector mentality. There is an accomplished feeling when you really complete a collection. People on this board have talked about just sitting and looking at their records for a while. They're just rad. Being music obsessed also helps.

Guest abravemorning
dude. seriously, why the fuck does everyone think they need to collect every variation of every band...even bands they moderately like?

I just don't get the reasoning behind the idea that you'rd be afraid to check out a band because you think you'll like them more and then be forced to collect EVERYTHING...by who? Who's got the gun to your head?

Do you think that if you like a band it's your necessary duty to own EVERYTHING? Why would owning a single copy be such a terrible thing?

I'm just baffled by people's consistent behavior, like it's a assumed that all of us adhere to that thought...

+1

I seriously don't get it. What is the point in owning 44 copies of Reinventing Axle Rose or Fuel for the Hate Game? They have all the same songs on them.

Call me crazy, but I buy records to listen to. Not to look at.

I seriously don't get it. What is the point in owning 44 copies of Reinventing Axle Rose or Fuel for the Hate Game? They have all the same songs on them.

if you owned 44 copies of RaR you would know!

i only collect variants for a small handful of bands.. and only 2 with any real drive (am! and btmi!) because of a special attachment i feel to both bands.

but honestly who cares why people do what they do? its their money.. why buy a motorcycle if you have a car? why buy a 2nd house? why have a 2nd kid.. you already have one.. isn't that good enough?

no one should have to justify why they spend their money on what they spend it on.

oh and justin.. i might be able to hook you up with something at CDW.. hit me up on aim :)

+1

Call me crazy, but I buy records to listen to. Not to look at.

why do some people collect hundreds of thosands of stamps? or books? or [insert anything here that person collects]? simply put, because they want to. I listen to records, but also enjoy collecting them, granted, i dont own 44 copies of anything ( i think the most of any single record i have it like 8 copies) but still, its just what i want to do.

simply because you dont do something/get why people do it doesnt mean that they are wrong/stupid/ignorant for doing it.

I collect a handful of bands that mean a lot to me, most other bands im content with having one version of the record etc...

just sayin.

Like I said, I only collect variations for certain bands. Screeching Weasel, for example. I play all of them and I like having the records on different colors or with different jackets, etc. Plus, BoogadaBoogadaBoogada sounds completely different from the original pressing on Roadkill to the Lookout pressing. There is an All In The Family intro on the orig. LP that isn't on the Lookout release and at the end of Side 1 there's some extra nonsense. Plus, the mastering is a lot different, the vocals are more raw. Anyway, there are obvious differences.

i would prefer to spend 4 bucks and take a chance on a new band/record, as opposed to spending 4 bucks to get a duplicate copy of a record i already own.

i guess i see the "collecting" aspect of it, and honestly, seeing a picture of all the pressings/variants together is pretty sweet, but i find the whole thing a bit silly to each their own i guess though. i think elitism is ever sillier than any collecting habits.

i definitely try and collect multiples of a bunch of bands, but usually only if i can get decent deals on repeat pressings. there are only a few bands that i will actively try and get everything for, and a few of those bands only press on black [does that not count??]

anyway, not listening to a band for fear of liking them too much and therefore having to collect every pressing is fucking stupid. i got into isis a little too late to collect all the records, so i just pick up what i can and be done with it. i have three presses of celestial, three of red sea 12" and four panopticons, but im not going crazy to get all the red sea 8"s. i didnt even bother with the latest color repress of oceanic. its just crazy.

so basically, i enjoy multiples to a point, but dont ever get carried away with it. enjoy collecting for what it is, dont take it so serious

Like I said, I only collect variations for certain bands. Screeching Weasel, for example. I play all of them and I like having the records on different colors or with different jackets, etc. Plus, BoogadaBoogadaBoogada sounds completely different from the original pressing on Roadkill to the Lookout pressing. There is an All In The Family intro on the orig. LP that isn't on the Lookout release and at the end of Side 1 there's some extra nonsense. Plus, the mastering is a lot different, the vocals are more raw. Anyway, there are obvious differences.

ok...now getting different pressings in this instance is totally different...I understand the reasoning behind that. I've also heard there is wild changes om YOT records from their various pressings on different labels.

Guest scriptedrain
There's only a few bands that I really love that I try and collect all variants. the rest, I don't care what pressing or color or anything it is.

I know exactly where you're coming from, and I always said that I would never collect variants. Since then I've (luckily) managed to get some Gaslight Anthem records and at this point it's too hard for me not to pick up the extra one I need. You can quote me on this, Gaslight Anthem is the only band I'm going for variants with. I do it with them and only them because (so far) they don't go over the top with pressings, and I not only respect them for that, but also for the music they make.

Against Me! is my favourite band, hands down. But I'm happy with one copy of each record, simply because I know what kind of an undertaking going for a complete AM! set is, and I feel it's not worth it. I could spend that time sitting here listening to my copy of As The Eternal Cowboy on black (Which sounds the same as the one on white, for the record). But with Gaslight, it's not like I'll be spending $100+ for 7"s limited to less than $10. The way I see it, I could go to the store and buy a chocolate bar, a coke and a bag of chips and be happy until dinner, or I could buy a variant of Sink Or Swim that I was missing and have a complete feeling.

In conclusion, money can be spent in much worse ways.

Guest scriptedrain
The way I see it, I could go to the store and buy a chocolate bar, a coke and a bag of chips and be happy until dinner, or I could buy a variant of Sink Or Swim that I was missing and have a complete feeling.

Well said!