questions for the "collectors"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been working on several band collections over the past couple months, and some are now complete and some are close, but I've been considering selling/trading off all my extra copies of most of them in order to buy more records and guitar gear. I'm starting to realize that I don't really need all those extras sitting on my shelf taking up space when I could have more DIFFERENT records. But "to each his own" I guess.

I don't think that justin was criticizing...it may come across as that in the way it's written out but I feel that he's expressing his misunderstanding. He is baffled at why people do it and is looking for the ones that do collect multiples to explain and give their reasons.

He is not hatin'...he doesn't collect multiples himself and wants to hear from people that do and why they do it...

i'm only interested in getting every variation of a single record because it's one of my favourite albums and also one i'm most emotionally invested in. i'm slowly working on a few band collections, but that's just a one copy of everything thing, not an every-variation thing. i don't really get that myself either.

i'd also rather have new material to check out.

dude. seriously, why the fuck does everyone think they need to collect every variation of every band...even bands they moderately like?

I just don't get the reasoning behind the idea that you'rd be afraid to check out a band because you think you'll like them more and then be forced to collect EVERYTHING...by who? Who's got the gun to your head?

Do you think that if you like a band it's your necessary duty to own EVERYTHING? Why would owning a single copy be such a terrible thing?

I'm just baffled by people's consistent behavior, like it's a assumed that all of us adhere to that thought...

I have way too much time on my hands. somebody help me find a new job, pronto.

discuss or tell me to shut up.

With an attitude like that you're lucky you don't run a record label.

I don't get multiple copies/colors, I really just liking getting a rare version and just having that. Just going for the bands discography is good enough for me. I only have multiple copies of a couple records for different artwork or that i want to play the record more often and have a nice one to just have, keeping it in good condition.

i definitely just try to go for discography and that's really just for bands that i'm really into. there are some records that i like to have 2 or 3 copies of just because it's such a good record but i definitely don't need, or want for that matter, to own 6+ copies of the same record that'll never get listened to. i'd rather buy 5 different albums.

If you have such a problem with people collecting multiple variations of the same release, why have you released multiple variations of the same release?

Black Cross LP - 2 colors

Four Star Alarm 7" - 2 colors

New Bruises 7" - 2 colors

There's a pot and a kettle somewhere in this thread...

in his defense, releasing different pressings and collecting different pressings would two different things. However, if he was questioning the actions of people who collect multiple pressings by the bands he releases, he would then (maybe) be doing himself a disservice by, in a roundabout way, discouraging people to buy multiple copies of his releases.

I guess I can agree with some of the comments here, but I think there is one thing that differentiates the vinyl collector from any other collector (stamps, coins, comic books-plug in your collectible) It is the passion that vinyl collectors have, the joy of finding unique pressings, the 'vinyl hunt,' collecting everything and anything that a certain band has released. As for multiple copies, I draw the line at three, one to play, one to look at and one to lend. Anything over that is overkill to me. But, I do agree with the mantra "to each his own" and who can say what is the right way or the wrong way in the world of collecting. I keep coming back to the PASSION that record collectors have, and I would bet that other collectors of various items are envious of this trait that all vinyl collectors have in common.

Thanks for letting me 'vent'

Robert

www.collectingvinylrecords.com

Guest genericinsight
There's only a few bands that I really love that I try and collect all variants. the rest, I don't care what pressing or color or anything it is.

what he said. Admittedly, for a years I got a little nuts with collecting bands I only mildly liked and am now stuck with multiple records of bands I don't care for much anymore. so now I only go the varient route with bands I absolutely love and have had long term emotional attachment to.

however the logic behind being afraid to listen to a new band because of then collecting all their vinyl is dumb. Not all bands and labels even release vinyl.

for me,

i try to collect all colours which one album will press because it can help me safe shipping for order multiple copies.

and i try to colelct all colours and all album of my favourite bands but i'm not hurry because i'm not a richman now and many time i can't pay 200+ usd for one record althrough it can fillful my collection.

my way for collecting is order multiple copies and it should cover all colour of webstore release (i always throw a towel for tour press or test press because it hard for me for get it) and won't try to collect it all press per one album,especially my favourite album such your black cross's severance pays....

• 4 weeks later...

I am only trying to fill my collection of bane varients because they are my favorite band, and I am good friends with one of their wives and i like to talk about the varients and how cool they are with her. Other than that I buy them if I find them for a good price just because I like to own them. its just that simple.

• 1 month later...