Are $20 LP and $30 2xLP list prices bullshit?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kylewilliam

it sucks that labels like matador mark up their LPs so much...they press 5000 of them and don't pay more than $3 a copy yet still charge $20 for it... horrible, horrible pricing.

Gotta bleed the vinyl trend dry while you can, apparently. I've been outspoken against vinyl prices for a while now. These bigger labels are going to shoot themselves in the foot with this crap. A $30 2xLP is practically begging you to just download it illegally and wait until you can find it in the cutout bin.

Guest Admin

let the big labels charge assloads for vinyl and smaller labels like us, no idea, and the loads of other great, small labels will hopefully sell more when put up side by side a $20 single LP

let the big labels charge assloads for vinyl and smaller labels like us, no idea, and the loads of other great, small labels will hopefully sell more when put up side by side a $20 single LP

Pardon my ignorance as I don't know anything at all about the business side of things. How are smaller labels able to charge less in a case like this?

I just won't buy it, straight up. Fuck that. The prices have gone up way too much, even on the 7"s lately. I think 6-7 is too much and I have been passing on a TON of vinyl lately because of it. I think $15 is even too much for a basic LP. Those NOFX represses, I bought the originals for $8.99 years ago, no way am I paying $20 after shipping for a 15 year old record, no thanks. There aren't many records I'd spend on that much on new. Sure, something rare/limited I want, yeah, anything else, whatever, download it. Shooting themselves in the foot and this goes for any label.

I just won't buy it, straight up. Fuck that. The prices have gone up way too much, even on the 7"s lately. I think 6-7 is too much and I have been passing on a TON of vinyl lately because of it. I think $15 is even too much for a basic LP. Those NOFX represses, I bought the originals for $8.99 years ago, no way am I paying $20 after shipping for a 15 year old record, no thanks. There aren't many records I'd spend on that much on new. Sure, something rare/limited I want, yeah, anything else, whatever, download it. Shooting themselves in the foot and this goes for any label.

Says the guy who paid how much to get the Green Hell edition of The '59 Sound?

In all seriousness, if I want the record bad enough, I buy it. That's the price we pay as consumers. I'll shop around before dropping the money, but I'll still buy it.

Guest Admin

Pardon my ignorance as I don't know anything at all about the business side of things. How are smaller labels able to charge less in a case like this?

Everyone sets their prices the way they want to and we have structured our deals with our bands where we can sell our LPs at affordable prices. Not sure Matador's reason for charging so much on single LPs.

Guest Admin

7"s are an who other situation. It costs us more to press a 7" than a CD and that isn't right. I hate charging as much as we do for 7"s, but we have no other choice.