Are $20 LP and $30 2xLP list prices bullshit?

It's pretty fucking crazy. I busted Dave's balls about it today quite a bit...even though he wasn't responsible. I mean small increases are one thing but they seriously went up $4 to $10 in one fell swoop. I mean matador shit is made really nicely but not that nicely. Something tells me they'll back down after sales hit the shitter.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys should see how much shit costs in stores here in calgary. you can expect to pay 20-40 dollars for a 2xlp and you will never... never!!! be able to buy a single lp for less than 10 or 11 bucks... cheapest you see is 12 bucks...

same with 7"s you will never get one (unless its out of the used dollar bin) for less than 5 or 6 dollars.

buying stuff on the internet used to be my only way to get fair prices, but i guess not really anymore

man this is upsetting. I was planning on ordering those interpol represses and pavement's crooked rain when i could afford them. They were just 12 bucks each earlier this week!! I'm upset about this, will purchase these three records just because i love them, but after that, i dont really see myself buying another record they put out.

I believe Matador presses everything on 180g vinyl at RTI... which, from what I've found, is one of the highest-quality pressing plants around currently.

I hate paying that much for vinyl, and it is avoidable, they just aren't doing the right things to avoid it. I'll still buy a record if I really want it from them, luckily I don't care for all that many Matador bands.

you guys should see how much shit costs in stores here in calgary. you can expect to pay 20-40 dollars for a 2xlp and you will never... never!!! be able to buy a single lp for less than 10 or 11 bucks... cheapest you see is 12 bucks...

same with 7"s you will never get one (unless its out of the used dollar bin) for less than 5 or 6 dollars.

buying stuff on the internet used to be my only way to get fair prices, but i guess not really anymore

Those are about the same prices as here.

Buying off the internet is still fair prices, just not Matador. And there's next to nothing on Matador I care for, so I don't really care.

vard,

where did you get these numbers? i just recently (within the last 2 weeks) bought 4 matador LPs (Interpol/Belle and Seb) and they were 12.95 each on 180 gram. They sound amazing, and the packaging is also A+.

I bought these from a 3rd party distributor (Aural Exploitz) and still paid 56 bucks for 4 180g records that i am stoked on.

just sayin.

edit: i just read the link above with all the RTI reissues. kind of a bummer. that condo fucks (yo la tengo) pre order is only $12 right now. i think i may just PO it.

to the poster who needed to 'complete their B&S collection' i just did.. go to www.auralexploits.com.. they are selling all the 180g for 12.95 each.

these pricings are making it totally unaffordable to build collections. if VC or the like cannot supply a certain record, then it wont be bought. ends up being upwards of $50-$60 Australian to get a goddamn record, so its back to CDs for the majority of my music bought.

living outside the States, i'm pretty used to paying extraordinary prices anyway (mainly due to the ridiculous cost of shipping), but these pricing structures bite the big one.

this

people on here do realize that a lot more money goes into putting out a record on a label the size of matador than just the cost of the vinyl and the jacket right? i agree 20 is too much to pay for a new record, but people comparing it to when you put out 500 copies of some local band have to be kidding.

Wow, you sound really knowledgable about this. Thanks for schooling everyone. Except you left out the part where the guy putting out 500 records by "some local band" has more per record to recoup than a large label like Matador that is pressing 3000+ records. Costs go down significantly when you press more records. Sure the bigger label might have promotional costs and such to cover, but they are also paying less per record and have bands that sell much more records than the small guy label pressing doing records from local bands.

Like I said, if they're not making as much money selling 4000 copies of an LP as a small label selling 500 copies for half the price, they're doing something wrong.

True, and I really don't think it's a sustainable business model. Labels like Dischord have established a solid practice of selling $10 LPs, which I think will prove far more viable in the long term.

Plus, there's nothing 'punk' about a $30 2XLP.

people on here do realize that a lot more money goes into putting out a record on a label the size of matador than just the cost of the vinyl and the jacket right? i agree 20 is too much to pay for a new record, but people comparing it to when you put out 500 copies of some local band have to be kidding.

Wow, you sound really knowledgable about this. Thanks for schooling everyone. Except you left out the part where the guy putting out 500 records by "some local band" has more per record to recoup than a large label like Matador that is pressing 3000+ records. Costs go down significantly when you press more records. Sure the bigger label might have promotional costs and such to cover, but they are also paying less per record and have bands that sell much more records than the small guy label pressing doing records from local bands.

Glorious, glorious statement.

thats because big labels are retarded and wasteful. If we're talking reissues.. all the supposed costs you are talking about were long taken care of by the CD sales.. so thats a null point.

recording costs? no one in their right mind needs to spend more than 10k to record a rock album. no one. ever. under no circumstances. BTMI!'s scrambles cost jeff $50 to record.. and is a great sounding record.

no sympathy, and theres no excuses for $20lps.

Like I said, if they're not making as much money selling 4000 copies of an LP as a small label selling 500 copies for half the price, they're doing something wrong.

True, and I really don't think it's a sustainable business model. Labels like Dischord have established a solid practice of selling $10 LPs, which I think will prove far more viable in the long term.

Plus, there's nothing 'punk' about a $30 2XLP.

Dischord now charges 11 dollars for LPs and that no longer includes shipping either like they used to. However you do get high quality mp3s of the albums included with the purchase which is really nice and worth the extra dollar to me.

Dischord now charges 11 dollars for LPs and that no longer includes shipping either like they used to. However you do get high quality mp3s of the albums included with the purchase which is really nice and worth the extra dollar to me.

Yes, it's $11 now, but it was $10 for a long time. Materials are getting more expensive, inflation, etc. It's still the right price, and more than fair when you factor in the included downloads (as you mention).

Labels like Dischord and No Idea are doing it right, and they provide a great model for how a small-ish label can survive while charging fair prices. Of course, it helps if your label has Hot Water Music, AM!, or Fugazi on its roster, but still.

Guest afsdan

30 bux is bullshit.

I hold No Idea and others in extremely high esteem cuz they still do low priced/awesome records. Matador rec's sucks.....big time. The only Matador release in my house is Cat Power "the greatest", and that is my girlfriend's

in contrast, I have about 100 No Idea LP's.

http://www.mammothpress.com/index.php?area=readmore&pid=12091

for those interested on this I got an official comment from the label.

THANK YOU! Its nice to see someone get an answer that counts instead of just speculation and name calling.

I find this interesting for a few reasons.

1. Matador had been re-issuing vinyl 5 or so years ago as part of some super saver type thing. I can recall picking up a few LPs, pressed on RTI 180 gram virgin vinyl for 10 bucks, at a store no less, not direct.

2. One of the reasons so many major labels are "getting on the trend" is that we as consumers of records are willing to pay for them. Once labels discovered that people perceive vinyl as being a more expensive package worth paying for, unlike cds, they moved to pressing more vinyl, only makes since.

3. More people pressing vinyl means the pressing plants can raise prices due to the sky rocketing demand for their service.

All this is another reason I wish I know more about pressing the vinyl, it is prime time for a new pressing plant in the US to open.

Several of the matador releases I have were worth the extra cash, the Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks latest was a really sturdy package worth the 20 bucks. But unfortunately they are not all this good, packaging or music on the disc.

I was planning on placing orders for a few records from Matador, now I don't think I will, maybe just the one that I really want...

Guest naytoid
these pricings are making it totally unaffordable to build collections. if VC or the like cannot supply a certain record, then it wont be bought. ends up being upwards of $50-$60 Australian to get a goddamn record, so its back to CDs for the majority of my music bought.

living outside the States, i'm pretty used to paying extraordinary prices anyway (mainly due to the ridiculous cost of shipping), but these pricing structures bite the big one.

Bingo bango