Bands signing records

I bought new found glory's new lp through a record store here in st. louis and got a free pass to meet them before their show this wed. I am considering whether or not to have them sign some records and I was wondering:

do you think having a band sign a record makes it more desirable and it's perfectly fine ...or... is it just weird to ask someone to write their name on something you own?

it just weird to ask someone to write their name on something you own?

This.

Honestly, from what I've seen it won't make the record anymore desirable or valuable, unless it's an absolutely HUGE band and you have proof that they signed it. Otherwise it's only good as a memento for the original owner if they're into that sorta thing.

it's only good as a memento for the original owner if they're into that sorta thing.

ive got a bunch of records signed by bands. i feel like a 12 yr old asking for a signature but i like them. wouldnt really selll them. they are framed on the wall (without the record in them... how else could i listen to them)

i like getting records/CDs signed by the bands i like. it's a nice reminder for me of being at the show and meeting the band (which is usually where i get shit signed). interestingly enough though, i'm NOT into taking pictures with the band. not sure why, but that come across as more fake. like "look at me! i'm friends with *insert band name here*!"

i've only on occasion bought something that was signed. but that's usually if the band has split up but i like them enough to get something signed.

I feel weird asking, so I've never done it. I did get a gaslight anthem 7" autographed, but I wasn't there, though it is made out to me. If anything, I'd rather take some legit photos of the show itself, get them developed and throw them in the plastic sleeve with the record and have them there to look at while I listen to that record

the majority of stuff i have signed is from bands that i actually hung out with longer than just to get them to sign whatever i had. My soundwave pass signed by kevin devine and geoff rickley, my signed brand new drumstick and 2 signed conor oberst set lists are my most prized signed momentos and i would never sell them.

If it's an intended part of the album presentation - like a print run where all of the records are individually signed & numbered - then I'm ok with it.

If not, well then it just ruins the record sleeve for me, as much as if any random person had scribbled on it.

Most bands that I listen to can be considered regular people like everyone else, who just happen to like playing music and release it on records. No reason to put them on the rockstar pedestal as it creates an artificial, unnecessary distance between the artist and the listener.

I'd only be interested in autographs of my absolute favorite artists. The ones I swoon over. And even then, only if I received it in person. Although I'd probably never take a record anywhere to be autographed. But generally speaking, I think it's a neat thing.

And I know it's taboo around here, but I think autographs on the actual vinyl itself looks pretty cool. As long as you have another copy for playing purposes.

if anything, if i liked the band that much, i'd get it autographed and then frame it.

would never buy a autographed piece though, that's more or less cheating.

I look at it more like a memory to a good time/experience.

this, but i do own a pre-signed rise against skate deck which i received as a gift so i'm not counting that