Vinyl Weight vs. Jacket Stock

How thick is normal jacket stock? If it means cheaping out so much that it ends up the thickness of the last Rise Against album jacket or the Straylight Run 2xLP that can't hold a shape, I'd rather you cut the vinyl weight down, honestly.

But if it's still decent quality jackets, I'd much rather have the heavier vinyl than a super-sweet, overly-awesome jacket.

No question... vinyl weight. If it's on heavy vinyl and sounds good who the fuck cares if the jacket stock is 1 mil thicker? I can't believe so many people have voted against vinyl weight.

Honestly I have never heard any difference in quality between something on 180 gram vs lighter vinyl. I've never did any extreme testing of this theory but it doesn't really make much of a difference in the end.

Not that how thick a jacket is annoys me much either, i'm with adam, as long as the jacket spine is readable and not super slim. (the loved ones s/t 10" comes to mind for annoyingly slim jacket.)

Guest adam526

The worst jackets I can think of are the ones where it's just one sheet and it folds over the record, it's fine for a 7", but not for a 12"

Taking Back Sunday's Where You Want To Be comes to mind.

Guest vito

If you end up keeping the 180g vinyl, just make sure you ship the records out of the sleeves, just to avoid a lot of angry emails if anything.

Guest afsdan
The worst jackets I can think of are the ones where it's just one sheet and it folds over the record, it's fine for a 7", but not for a 12"

what, you don't like homemade jackets? for me, I have enough standard jackets to last a lifetime. the homemade ones stick out.