anyone ever argue a speeding ticket

alright so i was just driving back to college and im 5 min away goin down this road and i got pulled over by this cop who had all his lights off including headlights and pulled me over for going 47 in a 30, and this is a 4 ln road and has a median, i know its my fault to probably be watching this speed limit signs but this is a real busy road, anywayyyyyyyyyy has anyone ever gone to argue a speeding ticket before at court? any tips

I got one driving back from Cape Cod one summer when I was 17. It sucked. The prick handed me a $375 ticket for speeding and multiple unnecessary fines. I contested it and had to meet with the magistrate and another officer. Problem was that we were in his jurisdiction so the cop that was present was from his same barracks. She and the Magistrate basically started shaking their heads about one minute into my story and from then on argued everything I said as though I were lying. Talk about fair, right? They basically said they would remove a $20 fine because it was the only one that would affect my insurance, however when questioned on the effects of the other fines they said they couldn't comment because they weren't well informed about how it works in other states. I contested it again (the 1 1/2 trip was worth it) and actually got to go into court, but the cop didn't show so it was thrown out just after I was sworn in. I think that often times they don't want to bother paying for the officer to appear unless the ticket is worth more than what they have to pay him to go.

Usually, if you fight a ticket the fine gets knocked down even if the judge or magistrate sides with the cop. They give you a little for your trouble. It NEVER costs extra. I argued one speeding ticket years ago and lost, but they knocked down the speed I was traveling by a few to lower the fine. Earlier this year I fought a ticket for running a red light (it was snowing and if I had hit the breaks I would've slide downhill). I fought it and won, though the judge was a dick about it.

It all depends. The Boston Globe did a big story a few years ago about fighting tickets. Some days, judges just decide to throw out everything. Other days they're dicks.

Take a look at the ticket, if it looks like there's something there you can fight, go for it. Or, you can go in and say you didn't see a speed limit sign and assumed it was 45. Just go in, be respectful and polite and it usually works in your favor.

I got pulled over once.

Cop said he had me clocked at 84 in a 70.

I said that was impossible, sir, my cruise control was set at 75.

He suggested that I set my cruise control at 70 and set me on my way.

So yes, I kind of argued. Had I not, he would have written me up for doing 84 in a 70.

My cruise was really set at 80.

Make sure everything on your ticket is 100% correct. If the cop wrote anything down that is wrong it will be thrown out.

My father once got pulled over on a road that merged into another. The cop wrote down the street name after the merge and my father was pulled over right before it merged. He got the ticket thrown out for that.

Make sure everything on your ticket is 100% correct. If the cop wrote anything down that is wrong it will be thrown out.

This is not always true. A friend of mine tried to fight a ticket because it said he was driving a VW Jetta when he was driving a VW GTI. He brought that up in court and the judge laughed at him.

I have twice, and both worked out well. The first time, the officer told the judge that he didn't remember the incident, so it was dismissed. The second time, I was driving a used car that I'd just purchased a few days prior. Turns out, the speedometer wasn't properly calibrated, so when it showed 65, I was actually going 73. I had it looked at, and repaired by a mechanic after I got the ticket. I showed the judge proof that it was faulty, and while I still got the ticket, he only made me pay court costs.

I've fought other violations.

1. Illegal left turn. Turning left from Napoleon Ave onto S. Claiborne Ave in New Orleans. You cannot turn left between 4:45 and 5:35 or something ridiculous like that. Whatever the time was, I checked the clock and had a couple of minutes to spare. Made the left. Got pulled over. Got a ticket. I told the officer my clock said I was fine. He said according to his watch, I was 2 minutes over. I told him that I couldn't see his watch. He said I should make sure my clock is accurate. I fought it. I won.

2. Speeding in a school zone - 35 in a 20. This was in May 2006 on my last day in New Orleans before I moved to Tampa. Was on my way to the office to clean it out and say my goodbyes. The cop was directly behind me -- I saw her for at least a mile. The lights on the school zone sign were inoperative. The sign specifically says that the speed limit drops when lights are flashing. They weren't. I stayed doing 35. She pulled me over. I couldn't believe it. First -- the lights weren't on. Second -- the school was gutted and boarded up from the flood -- not a student for miles. The cop didn't seem to care about either of these facts. I would have fought this (and would have won) had I not have left the city the next morning. Bullshit.

This is not always true. A friend of mine tried to fight a ticket because it said he was driving a VW Jetta when he was driving a VW GTI. He brought that up in court and the judge laughed at him.

Weird. I know someone who got out of a ticket for that exact same story. He was driving a GTI and the cop wrote down Jetta. I guess it just depends on the judge.

Yeah, it pretty much all comes down to the judge. They can do whatever they want.

In Mass., the officer that wrote the ticket doesn't even have to show up. They have officers that are assigned to court duty who represent the police department. So, the last time I went, the officer who wrote the ticket wasn't there, but an officer from the same police department was and read the ticketing officer's report. It's kind of a good system, because the officer in court wasn't there and can't elaborate beyond what the ticketing officer wrote down.

I've gotten lots of tickets (I never learn) and have done lots of research on this subject. That said, there is some bad info in this thread. Some of the statements are absolutely incorrect, others are only half true. My advice, don't take accept everyone's advice at face value. There are LOTS of myths out there that have absolutely no basis in reality but people continually pass them on as true. Always do your research.

Anyways, here's a few things to keep in mind.

I'm not sure where you're from, but in California if you fight a traffic ticket and lose you give up any shot you have at taking traffic school. It says so right there on the documents the court sends you. Check your local laws, but if they're like California this is a HUGE reason not to fight it, especially if you know you're in the wrong. It's typically cheaper to take the $200 fine than to see your insurance rates skyrocket for the next few years.

Don't count on cops not showing up. Cops get paid to show up in court and testify just like any other part of their job, except in court they don't risk getting shot at.

apparently, i have a little speeding problem. i've been pulled over 6 times in my driving career (i'm only 22 years old), but have only gotten 1 ticket. the funny thing is, the one ticket i DID get was the only one i didn't deserve.

i've been pulled over doing "88" in a 65 out of state and gotten out of it. i put 88 in quotes because that's what he said he clocked me at, but i was doing well over 90.

the best way, at least so far as i can tell from my own experience, to get out of tickets on the spot is to be extremely polite, respectful, and have your shit together. don't bitch at the officer and make his/her job a pain in the ass. call them sir or ma'am like you're in the fucking army... after EVERY sentence. have your license and registration ready in your hands before they get to the window, but wait to present it to them until they ask you for it.

also, don't bullshit. i'm sure they hear the "my grandma is dying, i'm just trying to get to the hospital" story every day. i got pulled over on may 23 of this year doing the same 47 in a 30 as the OP. i was in an unfamiliar area driving to a concert, and i figured the speed limit was 45, but apparently it wasn't. the cop saw me as he was driving in the opposite direction. i saw him make the u-turn and i knew immediately he was coming for me. i slowed down and was basically pulled over before he even put his lights on.

he asked me where i was headed in such a hurry and i told him i was on my way to a concert and that i had never been out in that area before, so i was unfamiliar with the roads. he asked me who i was going to see (obviously, i was going to see alkaline trio hah) and i told him i'd slow it down and make sure i paid much closer attention to the signs along the way. he told me to have a good time at the show and let me leave without anything.

I just got a ticket for running a red light on a photo enforced light (it was a right turn and I didn't stop completely before making the turn). I'm gonna go to court to see if I can get it knocked down a bit. I can't really say I didn't run the light, cuz they have a photo of me doing it, but what should I say my reasoning was? Diarrhea?

I just got a ticket for running a red light on a photo enforced light (it was a right turn and I didn't stop completely before making the turn). I'm gonna go to court to see if I can get it knocked down a bit. I can't really say I didn't run the light, cuz they have a photo of me doing it, but what should I say my reasoning was? Diarrhea?

Don't bother, you'll lose.

You guys have speed cameras over in the US or is it all cops with guns? I've never been puled over but i've been caught by fixed cameras a number of times. Once i was given the option of a £90 fine and three points on my license or a speed awareness course and a £100 fine. I went for the course option but they forgot about it and never made me go or pay.