What's the most you've ever spent on a record?

kylet

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 3 highest paid records for me:

1 - Steinways - aotu 7" test #2/3 - for $125

2 - Steinways - Rotten Pizza pack #14/15 - for $100

3 - Less Than Jake - Pie Tin $90 (but this has 7x 7"s so really i only paid 12 bucks per record)

Besides a few other tests, nothing has really gone over about 30-40 bucks. Most of my bigger records have been traded for, and i have been extremely lucky finding some rare things for super cheap.

I thought there was never going to be a day i would spend 100 on a record, it happened. Im glad i splurged on a few of those tests.

i bet you feel bad now that the steinways aotu 7" test is on ebay and will go for like half of that

Yep. i saw that the other day. oh well.

At least with most of my larger purchases the money goes straight to the label or grath himself (rather than some asshole on ebay).

besides those expensive steinways records, I havent paid over 20 bucks for anything since then. I have been really fucking thrifty lately.

The Cardigans - Gran Turismo and Life 180g test pressings - $75 each. Probably nothing else even close to that.

I still need a regular copy of Gran Turismo. Saw one at Reckless on Broadway for $100 and thought that was insane. Turns out that whoever bought it immediately flipped it on eBay for $380. I will probably never own this record. I'll just keep listening to the test pressing!

It's not the only way to get albums you missed out on. You just have to have the patience to search through record stores, sale threads, record shows/fairs, etc... I've gotten countless records for cheap prices that sell for a whole lot more on ebay.

let's be serious, the odd's of finding a record by a pretty success band (especially in the record industry, most of there stuff goes for a decent amount) with the pressing of 12 records...is pretty much guaranteed not ever happening with out ebay.

you also don't need to own first pressings. believe it or not, but later pressings actually have the same songs on them.

true. but this is my favorite release, by my favorite band. I wouldn't drop this much on many records. Like i said earlier in the thread, it was a toss up between a couple of records. Not to mention, there is only 1 pressing of this record.

It's not the only way to get albums you missed out on. You just have to have the patience to search through record stores, sale threads, record shows/fairs, etc... I've gotten countless records for cheap prices that sell for a whole lot more on ebay.

let's be serious, the odd's of finding a record by a pretty success band (especially in the record industry, most of there stuff goes for a decent amount) with the pressing of 12 records...is pretty much guaranteed not ever happening with out ebay.

I agree if you're talking about a specific variant. If you're looking for something like Jersey's Best Dancers though, I say keep looking for a deal outside of ebay. Chances are you will find it for a reasonable price sooner or later.

About $230 for the Japanese edition of "Smile" by Boris...I jumped the gun a bit early because I thought that I was not going to be able to get my hands on one for a reasonable price. When the price came down to $100 BIN, I snagged another to lower my overall cost. Facepalm moment in retrospect, but at least I wasn't the guy who spent over $300 on the 1st copy that showed up on ebay (I think I bought the 2nd ... ::)) Also, a bit over $200 shipped for both variations of "Vein" by Boris...it was a BIN and I just happened to have the money, so I figured why not snag them before someone else did? No regrets here.

I agree if you're talking about a specific variant. If you're looking for something like Jersey's Best Dancers though, I say keep looking for a deal outside of ebay. Chances are you will find it for a reasonable price sooner or later.

word on the street from my local record store is no idea is looking to press jerseys best and hello bastards sometime in the near future. not too sure how true or not true that is. i have a first pressing of hello bastards, thats why i'm holding off on jerseys best.

i have spent 50 + weekly on lps but thats mainly b/c i didnt start collecting till 14 months ago and trying to catch up with a few bands i follow religiously like strung out and propagandhi ect .

But the most i have ever spent on a record is 125 and that was on the strung out live in dive colored on ebay . i am about to spend close to that for a blink take off your pants and jacket but then again the last 3 on ebay have gone for 221 , 195 and 176 ...

while i felt i spent too much it was evened out as that same week i got good riddance ballads on blue for around 35 ppd and propagandhi todays empires on red for 75 and exile in oblivion on yellow for 65 all of which are great deals .

i spent $200 on one on my Reinventing Axl Rose test presses (i have 5 now) but i don't feel bad at all about considering Var got the money, and he's hooked me up with retarded deals on all kinds of other records i've bought from him over the years.

Most of my other big ticket records i've gotten deals on straight from the labels or the bands (a free copy of Against Me! - S/T, $60 for Alkaline Trio - I Lied my Face Off test press, etc)

i spent $200 on one on my Reinventing Axl Rose test presses (i have 5 now) but i don't feel bad at all about considering Var got the money, and he's hooked me up with retarded deals on all kinds of other records i've bought from him over the years.

Most of my other big ticket records i've gotten deals on straight from the labels or the bands (a free copy of Against Me! - S/T, $60 for Alkaline Trio - I Lied my Face Off test press, etc)

thats pretty awesome

If you want to get rid of that ILMFO test, I'm here... Just sayin'. :)