flipping records

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate when people talk about their job not paying them enough like they HAVE to keep THAT particular job. If my job didn't pay enough I would do the only logical thing, get another job. Flipping records is hardly a means to an end but if you want to put off doing something with your life that's cool. Also I like how your personal circumstances change your moral judgments about things that's cute. ::)

This is some of the worst advice I've ever heard. You make it sound like it's easy to just quit your job and not just find another job, but a better paying one. ha!

I know I sure as hell can't find a job right now...I'm selling parts of my collection among other things just to pay for groceries and gas

im on the fence about this. i get that it sucks not getting pre orders but it's kinda you snooze you lose. i mean i wanted to be part of the CO-OP VC lable and i missed out...bummed. a few fat colors i missed out on..once those are bought i think it's the person who sells or keeps them decision what they want to do with them. if you missed out, and you don't want to shell out the $$$ then get the normal version. but i've seen many people on this board go crazy on some releases for the intent to resell....me personally...i don't like gaslight anthem...not one bit....did i buy records cus i know they would sell? hell yes i did and i would do it again in a heart beat. but i also play the consumer role as well. i've paid upwords of $100 for a record for my asian man collection. we all do it.

i hate these threads.

I used to look down on this, but I do not make much at my current job and was considering moderately getting into this

It works like this, get a real job buy the music you like and don't be an asshole.

I hate when people talk about their job not paying them enough like they HAVE to keep THAT particular job. If my job didn't pay enough I would do the only logical thing, get another job. Flipping records is hardly a means to an end but if you want to put off doing something with your life that's cool. Also I like how your personal circumstances change your moral judgments about things that's cute. ::)

1. That is fantastic advice. First thing tomorrow, I am going to go apply at all of the countless places of business that have "Help Wanted" signs hanging in their front window.

2. I am 19 and in school, so I am not exactly putting off doing something with my life.

3. Flipping records is not exactly something to have very strong feelings for or against. It is not an issue that I feel would question my integrity.

Anything else?

Good luck, flipping records is fun if you get a good deal.

It's hard to do, you gotta be ahead of the curve and your better off buying what you like and then maybe selling it if its worth something.

Or you get lucky when a label finds a few OOP items and then flip those.

And ignore all the hipsters who try to get all high and mighty and tell you not to flip records.

It's hard to do, you gotta be ahead of the curve and your better off buying what you like and then maybe selling it if its worth something.

And ignore all the hipsters who try to get all high and mighty and tell you not to flip records.

That last quote is my problem. You shouldn't flip records because you're buying them with no intention to enjoy them or listen to them. You're buying them to sell for an inflated price to someone who really wants to listen to that record. It's a shitty way to make money IMO. If you don't have any desire to listen to it, don't buy it. It's an asshole thing to do.

That last quote is my problem. You shouldn't flip records because you're buying them with no intention to enjoy them or listen to them. You're buying them to sell for an inflated price to someone who really wants to listen to that record. It's a shitty way to make money IMO. If you don't have any desire to listen to it, don't buy it. It's an asshole thing to do.

Best way to avoid flippers? Don't buy from them. The only reason they exist is because people are willing to pay a stupid amount of money for what they're selling. Supply and Demand. If they had been that interested in owning a copy right away, they should have gotten on the presale/or ordered right away. If you don't get something, it's not the end of the world. The fact that people take things like this so seriously, like it's an actual issue, just goes to show how fucking ridiculous our society is.

There are far worse things in our world that we have to deal with, and to get all worked up over people selling records above cost is retarded.

basically, you don't like it, don't pay for it. Our society has this need for instant gratification though, and god forbid if you didn't get some rare variant!

fuck. they're just RECORDS.

I used to look down on this, but I do not make much at my current job and was considering moderately getting into this

It works like this, get a real job buy the music you like and don't be an asshole.

Look at this over-privileged guy!

Wow, I have to disagree with most of the people here. Arguments are very thin and often pointless.

On my part, I bought doubles of many records I have. Maybe someday I will get rid of them because my originals will still be in perfect shape but will that make me a flipper for selling my backup?? I'm happy I got the record that I enjoyed listening to, the band/label is very happy to sell their records (I know, I'm in a band too) and if I ever sell one of my rare records, the person buying it should be happy and me too for getting a bit of cash that I'll probably use to buy more records.

To Soysquad : To say people shouldn't buy from flippers and not get so hyped up on getting a record for a high price would not complete a collection... collectors collect to have as many as they desire and it sometime haunts their toughts day and night. Yes, we're that stupid and obsessed. One more thing, older records from 10/20/30/40 years ago are not necesseraly repressed so you have to go and shell out big bucks to listen to them. Flippers, just like labels, like the smell of money and it's one more way of getting some so don't spend if you don't want to but don't take down people who do spend their money on something they want. Beside, more money for the band/label means more music in the end.

I have to go against abusing flippers who would buy 10, 20 maybe more records just to sell them back at 3 times the original price 3 weeks later (like the recent Blink 182 episode). Fat Wreck Chords now have a "1 per order" policy on their limited vinyl wich is a great thing to do. Labels should not make VERY limited runs if they do not want people taking advantage of fans/collectors or at least do like Fat Wreck and put a limit.

I've only bought one record with the intent to flip. I bougth Isis last album, I was able to get the exclusive /100, and I remember I just decided to be an ass and post it on eBay for $200, since the first two sold for over that. I got a bunch of shit from people on DF about it, and in the end I decided to sell it for $100. I still own a personal copy but people were pissed off and made the internet some serious business and made me never want to go on that board.

To Soysquad : To say people shouldn't buy from flippers and not get so hyped up on getting a record for a high price would not complete a collection... collectors collect to have as many as they desire and it sometime haunts their toughts day and night. Yes, we're that stupid and obsessed. One more thing, older records from 10/20/30/40 years ago are not necesseraly repressed so you have to go and shell out big bucks to listen to them. Flippers, just like labels, like the smell of money and it's one more way of getting some so don't spend if you don't want to but don't take down people who do spend their money on something they want. Beside, more money for the band/label means more music in the end.

That's the problem though: bands and labels don't make money from flipping. It's certainly the flipper's right, and is an example of Economics 101, but it just seems a little sleazy to me that they buy something for $15, then sell it for $30 a week later.