Record you won't ever find.

A few months back I was at a thrift store and came across this set of "Learn to speak Russian" records. They are 10"s and without digging them out I think they are from the 50's. There are 4 in the set and each one was mailed in a separate 10" mailer. These things are in great shape and the coolest part for me was the fact that they were put out by my cities local news paper which is still the biggest paper in our area.

The worst part though is that there are 4 records and record number 2 was missing. Each of the others was next to each other and still even had the booklets with the translations inside. I searched that thrift store high and low and I cant imagine someone would just buy one random one and leave the others.

This is a record that will need a miracle for me to track down to complete the set.

Im hoping to hit up a larger than normal amount of yard sales this summer in hopes of finding something, even a complete set of them. But in my 15 years of buying records I have never even seen these records and I really feel like I'll never track this down. This is my new white whale.

Anything you feel like you wont ever track down?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad Dude in Love - Mark Everett.

Mark E himself and his management are buying off all the ones put on eBay

to keep them from getting out. Kind of a dick move.

But when they actually do get sold they go for around $600-800.

The only ones that are known to exist, the owners actually give out "listening sessions"

that you can't bring any recording equipment too. It's fucked up.

Library of Congress is one of those places, I'd imagine.

Bad Dude in Love - Mark Everett.

Mark E himself and his management are buying off all the ones put on eBay

to keep them from getting out. Kind of a dick move.

But when they actually do get sold they go for around $600-800.

The only ones that are known to exist, the owners actually give out "listening sessions"

that you can't bring any recording equipment too. It's fucked up.

Library of Congress is one of those places, I'd imagine.

what's the story behind this? why are they buying them all up?

Apparently Mark E. is just really uncomfortable/embarrassed by it. Hahaha.

It's really fucking silly, and he needs to just butch up and quit being a pussy.

Plus his management are dicks.

Edit: Also, it was released in 1985, a vinyl only released limited to 500.

Given out to friends and family mostly.

that is quite the price tag. Sounds like a weird dude.

I am not going to shell out any ridiculous money for the record im trying to find because im sure its not even valuable. I just want it to have the complete set and it annoys me every time I look at them knowing I'll never track down that last one.

there's a live Horace Pinker 7" that is limited to like 7 copies.

apparently they played in like Germany or something years ago and one night the sound guy recorded the set and had a vinyl lathe and was practicing and he made like 7 copies and went to the next nights show and gave the band 4 copies. They said it sounded like shit, but it was technically a release.

also there's a heart shaped 10" that Lynyrds Innards are on that was a wedding invitation from the guy who ran What Else Records. That's one that I don't expect to find ever.

I am not going to shell out any ridiculous money for the record im trying to find because im sure its not even valuable. I just want it to have the complete set and it annoys me every time I look at them knowing I'll never track down that last one.

Do you actually listen to these? Do you need them?

http://gratefulbreed.blogspot.com/2009/09/rolling-stones-necrophilia-unreleased.html

A Rolling Stones album, Necrophilia, only pressed on a few acetates, given to press members, and then requested back by the band's management. Also, in that video of the World's Largest Record Collection, dude showed a copy of a different unreleased Stones record with a black & white cover that was apparently only one of a handful of copies (like less than 10) ever made. I've been able to find no other info on it. Both are from the Stones' early-to-mid- 70s period where they made the best rock & roll ever put to tape (or vinyl).

Do you actually listen to these? Do you need them?

i dont need them, but i want them. I have a friend that is going to teach me russian but I hought these would be a cool way to learn basics first.

if they're 10"s from the 50's, they're undoubtedly 78's, and you probably don't want to play them on your turntable unless you are going to buy a new needle just to play them.

playing 78's RUINS needles, and most good turntables won't play them anyway (though a few dj turntables started to allow you by holding the 33 and 45 buttons at the same speed)

A few months back I was at a thrift store and came across this set of "Learn to speak Russian" records. They are 10"s and without digging them out I think they are from the 50's. There are 4 in the set and each one was mailed in a separate 10" mailer. These things are in great shape and the coolest part for me was the fact that they were put out by my cities local news paper which is still the biggest paper in our area.

That's funny, I have practically the same story except mine are "Learn Spanish" from the Learn A Language Course. Fortunately I have the complete set and each record came with it's original cardboard mailer!

Postage was only 9 cents; sent from the Times - Mirror Co. (Now the La Times).

if they're 10"s from the 50's, they're undoubtedly 78's, and you probably don't want to play them on your turntable unless you are going to buy a new needle just to play them.

playing 78's RUINS needles, and most good turntables won't play them anyway (though a few dj turntables started to allow you by holding the 33 and 45 buttons at the same speed)

I checked and they are from 1956 and 33 1/3 RPM. If they were 78's I wouldnt even have bothered with them.

also there's a heart shaped 10" that Lynyrds Innards are on that was a wedding invitation from the guy who ran What Else Records. That's one that I don't expect to find ever.

you should be able to find one of those eventually. i bought one off the website when they were selling the extras. i sold it a few years ago, but i imagine they are out there.

it's groovie ghoulies/lynyrds innards