CONVERGE - JANE DOE Repress & Reissue & More Official Thread!

They didn't have to lie about the number of colors. They could have just said, "We're not releasing the number or colors, but there will be multiples". End of story. Lying about something like that just leaves a poor taste in my mouth.

I've done plenty of preorders in my day.

mmm i think what tre means is that if they say theres 4 colors and the first color is going to sell out within 1-2 minutes -- theres the potential that a very large number of people are going to order 4 copies expecting 4 different colors that are then going to end up with at least 1 double of a certain color. then everyone would complain about that. its damned if you do, damned if you dont situation. at least thats how i took it anyway.

what would potentially solve that? well, inventory control attached to each color i think would help (ie. something like a drop down menu w/ color 1, color 2, etc.). when one is out of stock then youll know. no reason for me to get into the logistics of "Well, what if they get more or less of a certain color than expected, blah blah." too many variables to mention (ie. which is probably why that wouldnt even completely solve said issue that some people seem to be having with how they choose to do preorders). deathwish aint my business but im assuming they just do it the way they prefer to do it.

im excited (and hopeful) to see what i get but i learned with the you fail me silkscreened covers (which i missed out on completely) that its certainly not the end of the world if i dont get the rarest color or whatever. i pretty much never think about not having that version of that record. that said, ill gladly take the rarest color if im lucky enough to have DW send it my way!

If we could do inventory on pre orders, we would, but it just isn't at all possible to do with the store backend that we currently use, and will probably be stuck using for at least a few more years.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that we are getting many, many many orders every minute during the "initial rush". The inventory system we have in place removes an item from inventory when it is placed in a shopping cart, and if the transaction is not completed in X minutes, the item goes back into inventory. When there are so many orders coming in on top of each other, and even more people that are adding the record, and then not buying right away, it will cause the store to mark records as out of stock. This will then be wrong. If you have ever ordered prints from us, and missed out, only to find out it has gone back up for sale later in the day... this is why. There is only so much that we can afford when it comes to this store software, and we have to deal with what we got, and work it as best as we can.

mmm i think what tre means is that if they say theres 4 colors and the first color is going to sell out within 1-2 minutes -- theres the potential that a very large number of people are going to order 4 copies expecting 4 different colors that are then going to end up with at least 1 double of a certain color. then everyone would complain about that. its damned if you do, damned if you dont situation. at least thats how i took it anyway.

what would potentially solve that? well, inventory control attached to each color i think would help (ie. something like a drop down menu w/ color 1, color 2, etc.). when one is out of stock then youll know. no reason for me to get into the logistics of "Well, what if they get more or less of a certain color than expected, blah blah." too many variables to mention (ie. which is probably why that wouldnt even completely solve said issue that some people seem to be having with how they choose to do preorders). deathwish aint my business but im assuming they just do it the way they prefer to do it.

im excited (and hopeful) to see what i get but i learned with the you fail me silkscreened covers (which i missed out on completely) that its certainly not the end of the world if i dont get the rarest color or whatever. i pretty much never think about not having that version of that record. that said, ill gladly take the rarest color if im lucky enough to have DW send it my way!

I totally understand what you're saying, but from a collector's standpoint it says three, so some people ordered three. I understand that there's still no guarantee they'll get three different colors, but now they have three copies of an album and an ultra-rare variant they'll more than likely never obtain. So the $70+ they spent on what was allegedly a complete set is devalued a bit from their perspective.

The value of 3 records, at $22 each is $66.

If they spent $66 for 3 records, then they got their money's worth.

I think what seems to be the main issue here is that people actually hate COLLECTING, and they just want to purchase and obtain.

It's this logic that literally makes pressing records on colored vinyl not fun for us. We did something cool, and fun, and random... and you guys are saying it is bad. Because now your $66 investment, before shipping, isn't "worth" what you thought it would be??? Jeez....

I totally understand what you're saying, but from a collector's standpoint it says three, so some people ordered three. I understand that there's still no guarantee they'll get three different colors, but now they have three copies of an album and an ultra-rare variant they'll more than likely never obtain. So the $70+ they spent on what was allegedly a complete set is devalued a bit from their perspective.

The value of 3 records, at $22 each is $66.

If they spent $66 for 3 records, then they got their money's worth.

I think what seems to be the main issue here is that people actually hate COLLECTING, and they just want to purchase and obtain.

It's this logic that literally makes pressing records on colored vinyl not fun for us. We did something cool, and fun, and random... and you guys are saying it is bad. Because now your $66 investment, before shipping, isn't "worth" what you thought it would be??? Jeez....

Haha well in my defense I bought ONE copy and I'm totally happy with whatever color I get. I'm merely trying to understand the perspective of those who saw fit to complain.

Like I said above... with "purchase and obtain" I want to make a bet. Watch this thread disappear once everyone gets their records. It will happen. It happened with the Axe To Fall thread, and happens with most every thread about a record. Once people HAVE the record, no one cares, or wants to really talk about it. It just goes away. Realize that what makes you do this, this obsession, more often than not, is not the GETTING, but the waiting, and the wanting. The fun is in the hunt. The fun is desire. And what is the death of desire? Jamey Jasta says it is satisfaction.

Once everyone has their records, and the first few pics are posted... no one will care, and everyone will move on to the next record. Just fuck... just take a sec to try and realize this. Collecting records shouldn't be as easy as selecting an item from a pulldown menu. There really should be some kind of hunt involved. That is what made it fun in the first place. If things keep going like this, shit man... it's all just Beanie Babies at some point.

Make it more than that, and try and have some actual fun. And that doesn't mean eat ramen for a month so you can get it from ebay next week for a 4 times the price. It means take a breath and fucking enjoy the time you spend trying to get that which you want.

Like I said above... with "purchase and obtain" I want to make a bet. Watch this thread disappear once everyone gets their records. It will happen. It happened with the Axe To Fall thread, and happens with most every thread about a record. Once people HAVE the record, no one cares, or wants to really talk about it. It just goes away. Realize that what makes you do this, this obsession, more often than not, is not the GETTING, but the waiting, and the wanting. The fun is in the hunt. The fun is desire. And what is the death of desire? Jamey Jasta says it is satisfaction.

Once everyone has their records, and the first few pics are posted... no one will care, and everyone will move on to the next record. Just fuck... just take a sec to try and realize this. Collecting records shouldn't be as easy as selecting an item from a pulldown menu. There really should be some kind of hunt involved. That is what made it fun in the first place. If things keep going like this, shit man... it's all just Beanie Babies at some point.

Make it more than that, and try and have some actual fun. And that doesn't mean eat ramen for a month so you can get it from ebay next week for a 4 times the price. It means take a breath and fucking enjoy the time you spend trying to get that which you want.

I agree with you wholeheartedly but it saddens me just a bit that this is your perspective on the matter. The truth is, I don't have a single friend in real life who takes an interest in vinyl. I mean when friends come over they're all for spinning some records or enjoying music together, but there's no one for me to share the thrill of the hunt with except you guys on here, and I'm sure that's the case for many people here. It's kind of like a finding a place to live. You do tons of research to find an accommodation that matches your budget, desires, and needs, and you spend tons of time on it. Once you sign a lease, in some cases you take pictures and show them to your friends, etc. The initial excitement wears off, yes, but you still come home to it every day and reflect on/enjoy the decision you made. It doesn't make your decision any less meaningful in the long run.

The thread will probably die, and people will move on, but I know Jane Doe will be a staple on the playlists of many of the users on here for a long time to come... they just may not be as vocal about it.

That being said, all your dedication and work is more than appreciated, and the same goes for everyone involved at Deathwish and, of course, the artists themselves. Everyone here is undoubtedly passionate about music but there's no denying that the accommodating product is fun to enjoy too. I for one am just grateful that there are people willing to put forth the effort necessary to share them with us.

this. yeah waiting on pre-orders for a long time sucks, yeah not getting the rarest version sucks too. but i love hunting down records, thats why i collect variants again(and because i actually have the moeny to do it now haha). the problem right now is that in the last 2 years there's been a huge resurgence of people buying vinyl. so instead of grabbing a rarer variant off ebay or someone on a message board for maybe $10 or $20 more than what it originally costed, people are trying to get $40 or $50 extra out of it. plus i'd rather just have to order 4 copies of the record to try and get the rarest than have all the color options out there to pick and choose, because 9 out of 10 times ive ordered x amount of records to try and grab x amount of color variations and didn't get all the colors i at least get 2 copies of the next rarest. so i can then try to trade it to someone for something else i want or i could sell it later on if i wanted(for a fair price). thats just how i feel about it.

I would be honestly bummed if I went to order a record from Deathwish and it had a drop down option with the colors. I think the way ordering, and pressing information being made public is handled perfectly now.

I love the surprise in seeing what I get. I am not very much a variant collector and this was one record I wanted to try and get all the colors. That might not happen as quickly as I thought it would now but honestly would it be any fun if it was just handed to me? Probably not.

Even though it's the least rare, that white (its cream, I dont give a damn what you say you ordered!) looks so fucking good. Easily the best looking out of this round of pressings.

[quote author=circlingvultures board=general thread=48230 post=886673 time=1281593331

Even though it's the least rare, that white (its cream, I dont give a damn what you say you ordered!) looks so fucking good. Easily the best looking out of this round of pressings.

honestly i got the kings road copy, and even though it doesn't go with the cover art or anything, the actual color when you hold it up close is pretty cool. because it looks opaque until you look close and you can see all the white swirls through it.but i would like to see the white(cream) copy up close. i was so happy they didn't do a clear color. i'm so fucking sick of clear records at this point, i feel like at least 1 pressing of almost every record now is clear.

I really hope the complaining I've been reading in this thread (and the others on different boards) doesn't bum Tre to the point of not bothering doing something special like this again. I know it wouldn't, but I just wish people would be more appreciative for the obvious amount of hard work and the stress the folks at DW must have had with the issues they ran into during the pressing process. I love collecting variants of records I care about just as much as the next guy/gal on this board, and the mystery involved with (pre)ordering records just adds to the excitement of it all. I like to think of collecting records as a scavenger hunt for us adults, and like they say, "the chase is better than the catch."

Thanks Tre, Jake and everyone at Deathwish.

i think Tre couldnt be more right on these things.

I think sometimes patience gets stretched and tested with pre-orders and some people need to take a deep breathe.

i think sometimes due to being a customer and giving money to a label for a slab or two of vinyl we forget the hard work and dedication that labels and who works for the label put into these things, either be it answering emails, assembling, calling pressing companies and all of that politic shit........ and the most important thing, putting out music that we love, and associate with and listen to and can remember every word, keeps us happy and young.

for every bitching and complaining person about pre-orders, delays, colors whatever (even though i think people on this board are awesome about keeping their cool in this community of collectors) there are only a few that say thanks if they have an opportunity to be that in touch with owners of a label like deathwish or any other smaller independent labels.

So Tre, jake, all the rest of the staff at deathwish. thanks for doing what you do and helping support music that still has heart and keeping it core.

and thanks for the hatebreed ref.

i am looking forward to receiving my copy as well as one of each of the other crucial deathwish releases i ord,the main reason i ord the new version is cuz of the extra interesting book included, i already scored a rootbeer float version from equal vision years ago by sending them extra dollors for a pre order copy,its one of my most prized records,i love the fact that deathwish decided to do 150 on a swirl color just to award the diehards, i just hope that the 50 lucky early birds dont flip it and treasure it forever,(take some pics for us tho)is there gonna be a retail version for the next press.???

Personally, I like the way Deathwish handles their webstore. I've never had an issue with them and they seem to keep us way more updated about upcoming releases and delays than any other label.

With that said, this release is fucking astounding. It was definitely worth the wait. Also, I'm fairly certain I got one of the red/gold out of 150. Pretty stoked!