The Walking Dead

mcm1610

Kirkman was totally trolling us this entire time by drawing out the whole "Where's Sophia?" storyline. Guess what? She's been zombiefied in the barn this entire time.

Reminds me a bit of what happened with Dexter's 4th season. I was completely sick and tired of Rita's character by that point. So what do the writer's do? They kill her in a horrific fashion. Way to make audience feel like jerks!

Dick move on Hershel's part to have never even once mentioned anything though.

they mentioned this on the small part of the talking dead that i saw. hershel mentioned to rick when they were getting those two walkers from the creek that it used to be otis's job to do that, so it's highly probable that otis found zombified sophia, threw her in the barn, and shane killed him before he even knew they were looking for a little girl to say 'oh yeah, btw, i found a little girl.'

also, at this point, as much as i hate him, shane is the only interesting/dynamic character on this show. and at times i think he's the only rational one at all. like he said, the world is different; you can't respond to things the same way you would have before. i sort of expected him at any point to just get crazy eyes and start yelling 'I FEEL LIKE IM TAKING CRAZY PILLS!'

I honestly did not expect to see Sophia walk out of the barn as a zombie. I thought it would have been Herschel's wife and that was going to get a reaction out of him and snap him out of the shock he was in. So props to the writers for holding out the tension to that point...

My jaw dropped when Sophia walked out...

sophia found the barn and hid in it and, whoops, fell into a pit of zombies. fast forward to the beginning of the second half of the season. hershel feels bad when he realizes the zombie barn was a mistake to have in the first place. our merry band of survivors get to stay a while longer. shane gets bit in horde that makes the survivors flee and either find a prison, sunny dale estates or fort benning.

Sophia as a zombie was sort of a cheap shock. everybody wants to talk about how Shane is the only one willing to do the hard shit, but man, when Sophia walked out of that barn, slack jawed mighty mouse ear havin' motherfucker just stared at her til rick put a round through her head. rick just proved why hes going to be the leader the group needs right there.

i thought the entire episode was awesome though

they mentioned this on the small part of the talking dead that i saw. hershel mentioned to rick when they were getting those two walkers from the creek that it used to be otis's job to do that, so it's highly probable that otis found zombified sophia, threw her in the barn, and shane killed him before he even knew they were looking for a little girl to say 'oh yeah, btw, i found a little girl.'
sophia found the barn and hid in it and, whoops, fell into a pit of zombies.

These are two possible explanations. I'm just not sure if we'll get a definitive answer.

Once we were about 2/3s through the episode I started wondering how they would have time to bring closure to the Sophia story line (b/c not doing so would be a total dick move). And even though the conclusion was staring me in the face it was only until they showed the camera shot with a POV within the barn that it finally sunk in for me.

Once Sophia started stumbling around I immediately starting speculating who it would be that would have to put her down. Shane? He's done enough things to piss everyone off already. Daryl? He and Carol seem to be getting a lot closer. Not sure if this would be a good move considering the fact that he's been the one who wanted to find Sophia alive the most. Dale? Yeah right. Glenn? Not likely... What about the man who ultimately feels responsible for what happened to Sophia? And it's not like that's what he intended either... he was trying to save the poor girl. Sorry, Rick. But it's time for your "old yeller" moment.

sophia found the barn and hid in it and, whoops, fell into a pit of zombies.

These are two possible explanations. I'm just not sure if we'll get a definitive answer.

Once we were about 2/3s through the episode I started wondering how they would have time to bring closure to the Sophia story line (b/c not doing so would be a total dick move). And even though the conclusion was staring me in the face it was only until they showed the camera shot with a POV within the barn that it finally sunk in for me.

Once Sophia started stumbling around I immediately starting speculating who it would be that would have to put her down. Shane? He's done enough things to piss everyone off already. Daryl? He and Carol seem to be getting a lot closer. Not sure if this would be a good move considering the fact that he's been the one who wanted to find Sophia alive the most. Dale? Yeah right. Glenn? Not likely... What about the man who ultimately feels responsible for what happened to Sophia? And it's not like that's what he intended either... he was trying to save the poor girl. Sorry, Rick. But it's time for your "old yeller" moment.

kirkman said on the talking dead that otis was in charge of herding the walkers in and that's how she got there. only that scene got cut. presumably in favor of another drawn out 'heart to heart' between some other characters. essential plot information; who needs it?!

Sophia as a zombie was sort of a cheap shock. everybody wants to talk about how Shane is the only one willing to do the hard shit, but man, when Sophia walked out of that barn, slack jawed mighty mouse ear havin' motherfucker just stared at her til rick put a round through her head. rick just proved why hes going to be the leader the group needs right there.

i thought the entire episode was awesome though

Sophia as the zombie, while perhaps predictable, didn't come off as too cheap to me. I thought it was the best conclusion possible to that storyline and sort of justified the length at which that storyline was drawn out.

You're right on about Rick. I was thinking as they were shooting all the walkers that he pretty much just lost his status as group leader, which might be an interesting dynamic next season, but then he blasted that bitch and stays on top.

More episodes like this would be a nice treat.

kirkman said on the talking dead that otis was in charge of herding the walkers in and that's how she got there. only that scene got cut. presumably in favor of another drawn out 'heart to heart' between some other characters. essential plot information; who needs it?!

Hah! That scene would have definitely been helpful. Although, I'm glad they decided to keep the intro shot to Rick and Hershel's discussion because I really needed to see that close up shot of Hershel eating peaches. You see... that's the real reason he wants the survivors gone. So they don't eat all his fruit!

Back to seriousness: I need to get caught up on all the taking dead episodes. I'm pretty sure I saw the first four but not the last few they've put out.

I'm not entirely sure that showing the scene with Otis herding Sophia into the barn would have been the most pertinent thing since that would have had us all viewing the group like dummies because of their continual looking combined with none of them attempting to look in the barn a few hundred yards away from them to see if she hid there in the first place. While I can see how her coming out was viewed as a cheap shock, for me personally I still found it really jarring based simply off of the knowledge that in the source material she's still alive (and funnily enough, in issue #91 makes an offhanded comment to a now impaired Carl that all that bad stuff happens to him and none of the bad stuff ever happens to her).

Also: Growing up in Georgia, I went to three separate high schools, one of them was called Peach County High and yes it was in the middle of Peach County and to top it off, the local outlet mall was recognizable from a distance by the gargantuan plaster peach used as its mile marker and emblem.

shane and or andrea is "under the influence of zombie blood". one of the talking dead's talked about the taking in of zombie blood as being explained this season. at least andrea has taken some zombie blood in her body, shane maybe. either way they are both bat shit crazy now.

wait seriously? this sounds fucking retarded

So I take it I'm the only one who really disliked last night's episode?

The barn scene in the comics, unless I'm misremembering, was incredibly powerful because Herschel lost ANOTHER living family member (or more?) when everything went to shit based on his mistakes. Shane yelling a whole lot and then killing them all isn't nearly the same. Herschel has all these useless family members that barely made any screen time.. why did they survive? Unless the girl who plays Sophia had some real-life conflict and couldn't continue acting, I feel like removing her from the plot really ruins a lot of Carl's character because he has this weird balance between being a kid with her and being an adult with Rick and his gun in the books. Carl's in full-serious mode now with nothing to ground him.

I know that all my gripes come from reading the books first, but I don't agree with the changes they made. I'm ok with Shane being alive, but I don't know about this episode.

Re: Sophia in the barn, they definitely explained that with the line about Otis. He just did that stuff on his own, so no one else knew there was a little "sick" girl in the barn, but you'd think with them all looking in at various times they'd notice a pint-sized zombie...

I liked the barn scene, I couldn't pick which one I liked better (comics or show) though. In the comics, didn't Hershel open the barn a bit too early? Kind of made him look like a fool. His breakdown in this episode was great. I agree w/ Juan, thought it was going to be his wife, not Sophia.

The barn scene in the comics, unless I'm misremembering, was incredibly powerful because Herschel lost ANOTHER living family member (or more?) when everything went to shit based on his mistakes. Shane yelling a whole lot and then killing them all isn't nearly the same. Herschel has all these useless family members that barely made any screen time.. why did they survive? Unless the girl who plays Sophia had some real-life conflict and couldn't continue acting, I feel like removing her from the plot really ruins a lot of Carl's character because he has this weird balance between being a kid with her and being an adult with Rick and his gun in the books. Carl's in full-serious mode now with nothing to ground him.

I know that all my gripes come from reading the books first, but I don't agree with the changes they made. I'm ok with Shane being alive, but I don't know about this episode.

Re: Sophia in the barn, they definitely explained that with the line about Otis. He just did that stuff on his own, so no one else knew there was a little "sick" girl in the barn, but you'd think with them all looking in at various times they'd notice a pint-sized zombie...

not to mention that the twins (billy and ben) aren't included in this version either. meaning carl isn't going to...you know. unless they pick them up later along the road.

i really, really want to like this show, but i feel let down every week because it could be so much better.

i'm actually watching jericho on netflix, and if you haven't watched it, it's another post-apocalyptic show, only with nuclear weapons instead of zombies. that show is paced perfectly, and the entire time i'm watching it, all i can think is 'man, TWD would be so good if it was paced and written like this.'

I think my expectations may be lower since I've really been enjoying this show. I agree that it could certainly be paced and written better, but I also enjoy Mad Men and other AMC fare where the pace is slow as well (granted, one could argue the writing for those shows is better). At some point in the next few weeks, I'm going to sit down and watch all of seven episodes in one shot as I think TWD is one of those shows that (like the comic) benefits from being consumed in larger portions as opposed to one episode/one comic segments.

not to mention that the twins (billy and ben) aren't included in this version either. meaning carl isn't going to...you know. unless they pick them up later along the road.

i really, really want to like this show, but i feel let down every week because it could be so much better.

i'm actually watching jericho on netflix, and if you haven't watched it, it's another post-apocalyptic show, only with nuclear weapons instead of zombies. that show is paced perfectly, and the entire time i'm watching it, all i can think is 'man, TWD would be so good if it was paced and written like this.'

On the other hand, it means they're not going to have to have a problem when Carl's voice drops.