Jack White flips records too...and then flips out

jhulud

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not as if the red/white copies are the ONLY copies available. Go buy your copy of the reissues on black 180 gram for $20 at the Third Man Record web store, B&M store, or at any record store once they start shipping out. It's the same music pressed on those discs as the red/white split copies. Third Man makes a point of keeping all of their music in print as long as it's wanted. This isn't a limited run. Anyone that wants to own these records will have plenty of chances to do so. And it's not as if this music isn't widely available. These albums are 8-10 years old. Don't want to pay luxury prices for luxury items? Maybe you should sort out your priorities and understand what you really NEED versus what you WANT.

"There's a guy who waits in a black SUV down the block from Third Man who hires homeless people to go buy him tri-colors (coloured vinyl) when they are on sale. Doesn't even get out of his car," wrote White.

it would seem like not selling rare records (almost) exclusively out of your storefront would be a good way to alleviate this problem.

when it comes to "flipping" your own records... that's pretty lame. if you're so concerned about people flipping your records, why not just press the albums on black?

Maybe you should sort out your priorities and understand what you really NEED versus what you WANT.

Haha these are essentially the same thing for me.

[image]

edit: I think a ton of labels should do this (fat wreck) but I don't know if it would be wise for all labels. I guess I like being a collector and if a label just auctioned off things to the highest bidder it would just seem like the richest guy would own everything and no one would get a chance at owning them.

Well let's look at it from another angle. They auctioned off 5 copies of the S/T record on red/white wax. Out of 450 pressed. Numbers from their website:

250 of each split color LP at Third Man Records in Nashville

100 of each split color LP in random mail orders via thirdmanrecords.com

100 split color of “The White Stripes”(s/t LP) in Detroit, MI

100 split color of “DeStijl” in The Netherlands

100 split color of “White Blood Cells” in Memphis, TN

That's 1.10% of the limited color pressing. Two cities have chances at grabbing these from B&M stores, and 100 people have a random chance at getting one in their orders placed online. Everyone just loves to complain because they can't have their way. Jason, you know better than many that I'm a collector of many things as well. But people whining and bitching and moaning about this are ridiculous and unjustified.

It's not as if the red/white copies are the ONLY copies available. Go buy your copy of the reissues on black 180 gram for $20 at the Third Man Record web store, B&M store, or at any record store once they start shipping out. It's the same music pressed on those discs as the red/white split copies. Third Man makes a point of keeping all of their music in print as long as it's wanted. This isn't a limited run. Anyone that wants to own these records will have plenty of chances to do so. And it's not as if this music isn't widely available. These albums are 8-10 years old. Don't want to pay luxury prices for luxury items? Maybe you should sort out your priorities and understand what you really NEED versus what you WANT.

Totally agree with this. I wish all labels would keep their releases in print in one color and do limited variants if they feel the need. The limited variants would satisfy the collectors who want rare stuff and the plentiful one would satisfy the people who just love the music and want to be able to listen to it on vinyl without spending a day's wages.

Guest scottyf

"Jack White flips records too...and then flips" would be a better thread title lol.

I don't think it's so horrible for him to flip them considering it gives more people the chance and could help him produce more music too. I could see some record company taking something like this too far and making even more limited amounts or keeping more to themselves just to flip and make tons

though. I guess there kind of need to be a balance.

he pretty much seems to have the same basic arguments as anyone else who's not against flipping. saying he's concerned about people flipping seems like a load of bullshit to me. I don't really think that the fan club members have a right to bitch either though, unless it's like supposed to be part of the membership. kind of an over reaction on everyone's part in my opinion.

I don't really care too much about this either way

Fuck Jack White. he didn't care about flippers so much as it was greed.

His assinine way of releasing the neat colored vinyl version of the record guaranteed that it would be selling for big money and people would be flipping them.

If he made them all on the split color, or made a bunch of them and sold them to the first X number of mailorders it woudl have been a much better method of satisfying people's need for the color one for those who are fans and collectors. Also offering them to the fan club he charges money for people to be a part of would have been better than telling them to go bid on his auctions.

I'm so glad I'm not a fan or a collector of his shit. He could release the best song in the world tomorrow and I wouldn't buy it now just because of him being an asshole about something like this.

I like this band but I would never shell out money for a rare record. If I got one randomly that would be cool. This is straight bullshit though.

I would hope that some of this money that they made off these went to charity at least. It's well known way ahead of time that this item is going to make collectors go bananas. If he is so mad over flippers why wouldn't they repress them all on color? Or at least double the amount on color. Rare white stripes records and merch always sell for stupid money. If he wanted to make them available for people to curb flipping Third Man could have gone about this in other ways instead of further limiting available copies by putting them on ebay. They create the frenzy, make money off it, then bitch about it. That's a douche move if ever I've seen one.

Seems obvious to me that if you don't like the way someone does business then don't support them by buying their crap. It does seem like a bit of a douche-bag move on Jack's part. It'd be like Derek Jeter selling his own autographed baseballs on ebay. Being a collector of any sort of memorabilia is usually done out of love and appreciation for another persons craft. For the artist, athlete, or whomever to exploit that appreciation only cheapens their character.

1. Vault members pay $60 every 3 months. This entitles them to a Vault package that's exclusive for that 3 month period, access to Vault exclusive content on the website (videos and chats) and discounts on some special releases (Vaults got the UTGWNL Box Set cheaper). They do not get first dibs on limited color pressings. TMR stops taking memberships for each 3 month period about a month in and presses the exact number of vinyl for each current member. They get a 12", a 7" and either a shirt, slipmat or poster/print. The ONLY way to get that vinyl is to be a member or buy it from a member (or someone who bought it from a member). I've seen the Icky Thump mono and Th Racontours live albums fetch high prices on ebay. These people know exactly what they pay for before joining. To be mad that they're not getting some extra service that wasn't part of what they paid for is assinine.

2. Who the fuck cares if Jack White offers 4 of the 450 pressed of this on ebay??? I really don't understand the bitching about this. The only reason this was even pressed in the limited color is because of the strong group of White Stripes collectors out there. I don't think anybody can argue that it wouldn't be considered a collectible if it wasn't limited. They pressed the black in large numbers for everybody else. And I don't see a difference in him selling on ebay vs someone else selling on ebay. I've seen Brian Veneble sell copies of the screenprinted first pressing of Attic Tapes on ebay and nobody said a fucking word. And that's no different than this.

He says the eBay sales are to cut out people flipping the coloured version. That seems like a bit of a lame excuse. There are 450 copies and he's selling 4 on eBay. So there are still 446 copies for the guy in the black SUV to buy.

But Third Man can do as they like. I see that profits from the 100 copies being sold in remote locations at $50 a pop goes to local charity. That's cool.