How many records do you buy in a month?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man, you guys must either all make a lot more than me, or be living paycheck to paycheck.

neither. i am a total hermit. which saves me money daily. and i'm still able to go on a few week long vacations every year. i contribute that to actually not going out, nor drinking, smoking (now), etc etc. i don't have insurance or a car, so that helps too.

i usually buy like 10 to 20 lps (new and used) and 15 7"s a month. been doing it for years. back in the 80's and early 90's it was far worse. i was spending up to maybe $20 a day in records. lps were $6ppd and 7"s were $3ppd then though. oh the good ol' days.

man, you guys must either all make a lot more than me, or be living paycheck to paycheck.

neither. i am a total hermit. which saves me money daily. and i'm still able to go on a few week long vacations every year. i contribute that to actually not going out, nor drinking, smoking (now), etc etc. i don't have insurance or a car, so that helps too.

i usually buy like 10 to 20 lps (new and used) and 15 7"s a month. been doing it for years. back in the 80's and early 90's it was far worse. i was spending up to maybe $20 a day in records. lps were $6ppd and 7"s were $3ppd then though. oh the good ol' days.

I pretend like I'm living paycheck to paycheck because I don't want to spend too much money on records and whatever else comes across my daily path that I might not necessarily neeeeed. I use up a shit ton of gas in my CR-V travelling back and forth, and I buy a lot of fruit and bottled water which for some dumbass reason is expensive! I will feed my liver on a given day of the week if it's with some friends, so that adds up because I'm a bit too social. Plus, I still have one more god awful year of school and I'd like to live in town by the campus, then transfer stores so I'd still be able to work.

As for record buying:

I'll preorder if it's cheap enough (in my opinion)

Buy a few here and there off the message boards

eBay steal

Get a sweet discount from some online store.

I probably bring in 10-15 per month.

I only have a little over 200 records, but worst case scenario if I have to sell each record for $10, there's $2000 I could use towards a car issue, school situation, or plane ticket to the czech republic to live with Crispin Glover.

I only have a little over 200 records, but worst case scenario if I have to sell each record for $10, there's $2000 I could use towards a car issue, school situation, or plane ticket to the czech republic to live with Crispin Glover.

Sometimes it makes me feel better about purchases if I think of my collection as a savings account, that hopefully will go up in value and not down. I just have to avoid buying overpriced crap that's just going to sink and stick to used deals. There's gonna be ups and downs, but hopefully if I had to sell my collection I'd come out on top.

i hate to break it to you, but based on your list, selling each record for 10 bucks would be a BEST case scenario. You probably would have a hard time selling even HALF of those for 10 bucks a piece.

i hate to break it to you, but based on your list, selling each record for 10 bucks would be a BEST case scenario. You probably would have a hard time selling even HALF of those for 10 bucks a piece.

MY GRANDMOTHER WOULD TOTALLY GIVE ME $1 FOR EVERY RECORD I COULDN'T SELL FOR $10, and after she dies I'll inherit them.

By the way, is the ...Who Calls So Loud 2x10" out of 2000?

normally i keep it somewhat mellow, trying to limit it to trips to local shops to buy used records. sometimes things get out of control, like the last two months, where i start buying way too many records online. it has been a busy two months. i need a break. my wallet needs a break.

i would say typically about 5-10 records a month.

ok, better question. how much money (in dollars, or whatever weirdo currency you europeans use) do you spend on average in one month on records?

Um, I spend DOLLAZ, A-MONEY!

GEEZ

I spend at least $100 if I get carried away.

There's a new record store in my territory that has some overpriced and legitimately priced records, so I try to help out those dudes. I've actually found cheaper priced records for them and got them to consider bringing in a turntable to put behind the counter. I really hope that happens.

Anyway, what was I supposed to be chatchitting about? Oh yeah...I spend too much dinero on records!

I only spend like $30-50 a month now. I've been very careful.

I feel like if I stayed away from VC for a month, I would probably save a lot of money. So many preorders and deals/sales... I can't help it. Ugh.

Yeah, staying away from VC would bring down my purchases quite a bit. But... I can't help but go on auto pilot and check the site everyday.

I seem to be spending an average of $150 on music each month. But I really need to slow down on the purchases for a bit, because I have an outrageous amount of CDs, LPs, and 7"s that are in my 'not yet listened to pile.' It's almost as if I have my own little personal record store...except I don't get many new releases in.