Who is The Suburbs? And why'd they win the grammy?

jemsklile

The funny thing is how violently loyal stupid people are to the crap they are told to like by MTV and the dominant entertainment infomonster. Not only are they proudly ignorant of anything outside their narrow worldview, they are actually angry that such a world exists and that it could possibly produce music of value. I absolutely LOVE listening to people who believe -- I mean really, truly believe -- that a bands value and its popularity are in direct correlation. And this particular example is even more curious. Here's a band that IS extremely popular among a certain segment of the population. Still, in the grand scheme of things they have no hope of ever truly reaching the level of Lady Ga Ga or Eminem. Occasionally some indie band like the Promise Ring or Jawbox or whatever will gain a little momentum in the music marketplace and everyone in the underground starts getting all wound up about them being mainstream and on the verge of something huge. It's never going to happen. The populace is addicted to mediocrity. I truly believe people are afraid to be seen as different or individuals when it comes to music.

Also, I hate Arcade Fire. They sound like generic indie rock blandness to me. But I'm glad this happened. Good for them.

The funny thing is how violently loyal stupid people are to the crap they are told to like by MTV and the dominant entertainment infomonster. Not only are they proudly ignorant of anything outside their narrow worldview, they are actually angry that such a world exists and that it could possibly produce music of value. I absolutely LOVE listening to people who believe -- I mean really, truly believe -- that a bands value and its popularity are in direct correlation. And this particular example is even more curious. Here's a band that IS extremely popular among a certain segment of the population. Still, in the grand scheme of things they have no hope of ever truly reaching the level of Lady Ga Ga or Eminem. Occasionally some indie band like the Promise Ring or Jawbox or whatever will gain a little momentum in the music marketplace and everyone in the underground starts getting all wound up about them being mainstream and on the verge of something huge. It's never going to happen. The populace is addicted to mediocrity. I truly believe people are afraid to be seen as different or individuals when it comes to music.

Also, I hate Arcade Fire. They sound like generic indie rock blandness to me. But I'm glad this happened. Good for them.

This

[image]

Funeral was a solid album. Neon Bible had some good songs but I couldn't get into it as a whole. Same thing for The Suburbs. I like some of the songs but I'll be damned if I'm going to listen to the thing from start to finish.

Good for them, though. I guess. Now most of their hardcore fans will probably be too cool to admit that they like a grammy award winning act.

You people are forgetting what segment of the population actually WATCHES these awards shows. I guarantee it's not the same segment that pursues music beyond whatever can be found on the FM dial. I'd go so far to say that Bieber/Gaga fans watching the Grammy's outnumbered Arcade Fire fans 1,000 : 1. And you're seriously questioning why they are outraged?

I'm upset Arcade Fire won, too. Now that crap they pass off as music will be more widespread than ever.

It's silly for the Academy to give Best Album to Arcade Fire when their fans don't give a shit about the Grammys and the people who really care about the Grammys don't give a shit who Arcade Fire is.

But it sure is a good way to stir up some controversy right? ;)