Most Overrated Movie?

I agree with the hangover.

I own it but kept putting of watching it for months cause I was so excited since everyone raved about it. I was let down though once I watched it. While I like it and watched it a few weeks ago just I was just expecting more. Could be the movie, could be the fact I had it so high on a pedestal in my mind.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can't just be groundbreaking...they have to be enjoyable too. I know that's in the eye of the beholder. I tried Ctizen kane a couple of times and really wanted to like it. I was blown away by some of the cinematic tricks, great shots, editing...but it's not enjoyable as any form of entertainment. same with Waterfront, I got the trailblazing aspects, but it just seemed boring. I'll give it another shot.

Yeah, rewatch Waterfront. Kazan has his issues in film history but his writing on this one is amazing. I suppose I also like subtlety and the film with Brando on the swing playing with the glove he finds is one of my favorites.

Whoever brought up Crash hit the motherload. There is probably no more less-deserving best picture winner ever.

my pick? gone with the wind

UGHHHHHHH. 4 hours (and 2 VHS tapes!) of rich people complaining about their totally OK lives. Shit predates Eat Pray Love by 70 years. And it's so fucking racist. I get that it's "of a different time" or whatever, but can we all agree that the different time was a horrible racist time when black people were basically portrayed as monkeys, and never mention Gone With The Wind as a "good" movie ever again?

I highly recommend that everyone read Videogum's WMOAT series. There are some "classic" (as well as infamously bad) films demolished in amazing detail.

Did you even watch the movie? Racist? It was the goddamn Civil War.

How old are you? What the hell?

I can already see this thread escalating...or rather going south...with people getting their panties in a wad about the subjectivity of the topic and their "defense" if and when someone insults their most favorite ever!

well i always see movies like music. different factors tend to form a persons opinion on any given movie. some might not have patience for slow paced movies. other factors include age, intelligence, and even hype.

I'm personally a fan of the classics (Casablanca/gone with the wind/who's afraid of Virginia Woolf/citizen Kane). i grew up with a lot of them (back when movies still had intermissions) so i may be a bit bias in my opinion and a tad cavalier sometimes when discussing movies, but it's all in jest. with this in mind, these movies helped to shape my love for all cinema. i tend to find some entertainment value in most movies i watch.

taking that into account i found that probably my all-time overrated movie was "Titanic". I was really close to choosing "Gone with the Wind" but i thought Titanic was so overrated for the time. i like both movies and own both, but at least can admit that they aren't the greatest overall.

before i get blasted on:

I think "gone with the wind" is overrated because i basically didn't believe it. their love was a sham. even the carol Burnett parody had more depth. Actually it basically portrayed the film as what it was.. two hams in love during the civil war. which of itself i think helped boost the popularity a bit. Much like "The last temptation of Christ" with Catholicism.

too bad i have a love for it, because it reminds me of when i was a kid. Sunday afternoon movies were the best.

Fantastic Mr Fox = Awesome. Boondock Saints = Pretty great but I'm bored with it now. A Scanner Darkly looks cool but I don't even remember the plot. May as well watch Waking Life if you're gonna watch something in the style of A Scanner Darkly, at least I got some cool thoughts out of that. All I got out of ASD was a few funny/cool quotes I don't even remember now.

Personally for me a lot of Disney movies flip my shit, probably more because my old roommates were fanatical about them for some goddamn reason. I can dig a few of them, The Lion King is still boss as fuck but most of them I really can't freak out over. Not talking about kids movies though, Scarface didn't really do it for me either. Also The Amityville Horror. Both, especially Scarface always seemed like they were those movies you just "had to see" but after seeing them I didn't get much out of them.

Speaking of terrible horror/thriller movies, fuck The Human Centipede.

Departed i can see being overrated, but i have regard for GOODFELLAS. it's one of those movies i can watch over and over again, even if i catch it on tv half way through I'll still watch it.

Agreed. I'll even go as far to say Goodfellas is my all time favorite movie. Hands down. I know, I know to each his own. Just throwing my quick .02 on Goodfellas.

It's been making the rounds lately on TV during the weekends and I watch it every time, even in its edited glory. Sometimes I use that as a excuse to just pop the dvd in. It's the one movie I literally know line by line and it never gets old.

It seems to me that some people dislike popular movies just to dislike them. Maybe they tire of hearing about them and decide they're not gonna like them before ever watching. I can understand references to Tarantino movies in here. If you don't care his long diatribes you are not gonna like his movies. And lots of people can't stand them, saying there's too much talking (I personally love them). But movies like The Departed, Fight Club and The Dark Knight? Not everybody is gonna like all three, but for someone to give all of them an honest chance and still dislike them completely baffles me.

I know everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not trying to sway anyone. Just wanna understand the need to not like popular movies. And this happens... A lot. I see it often on IMDB, the same users bashing every movie with a rating above 75-80%. Not saying that bigmanandy does this, he could very well just not like those movies. And that's fine. But reading those posts made me think of this and I've meaning to pose this question for quite a while.

Just watched "The Color Purple" and was offended at how much it fucking sucked...

I also hate every star wars movie...soooo booring

Most Overated Directors

James Cameron

Steven Speilberg

George Lucas

I think everything that each of these men has made has sucked royal ass with the exception of "Catch Me If You Can" that was directed by Speilberg, and I chalk the awesomeness of that movie up to the brilliance of the actors involved in it...namely Christopher Walken and Tom Hanks....Leo Dicaprio was great as well

i don't think that some people understand this thread. it's not movies that you dislike, it's movies that didn't live up to their hype, and are overrated.

sidenote: thispartysucks128, YOU suck for hating star wars. and you really think that E.T. and close encounters of the third kind sucked?

Man, watching ET now vs. when you were a kid, that movie holds up. I was glued to the set.

I agree that the departed was overrated, at least to me. I didn't understand the hype.

I'm also kind of surprised that no one has mentioned the Big Lebowski. I've seen it a few times, and I've enjoyed it, but I can't wrap my brain around the enormous cult following it has. Love Jeff Bridges.

i don't think that some people understand this thread. it's not movies that you dislike, it's movies that didn't live up to their hype, and are overrated.

sidenote: thispartysucks128, YOU suck for hating star wars. and you really think that E.T. and close encounters of the third kind sucked?

ok, I think they are overrated and I think they suck...strictly opinion...chill out dude

And yes, I think close encounters was boring as hell

ET was ok, but I would never watch it again...

Also, to add to add to my original comment, has george lucas really done anything of worth since the original star wars movie, yes i think its lame, but I am not denying it was an important film, especially because of the following it has,

But really

his first movie THX 1138 dispite having awesome robert duvall in it sucked ass

and he produced Howard The Duck...who could have thought that was a good idea

George lucas got lucky with the first star wars and he knows it. That is why he keeps beating the franchise into the ground. Star Wars is a cash cow and the old greedy bastard is milking the fuck out of it

ok, I think they are overrated and I think they suck...strictly opinion...chill out dude

And yes, I think close encounters was boring as hell

ET was ok, but I would never watch it again...

Also, to add to add to my original comment, has george lucas really done anything of worth since the original star wars movie, yes i think its lame, but I am not denying it was an important film, especially because of the following it has,

But really

his first movie THX 1138 dispite having awesome robert duvall in it sucked ass

and he produced Howard The Duck...who could have thought that was a good idea

George lucas got lucky with the first star wars and he knows it. That is why he keeps beating the franchise into the ground. Star Wars is a cash cow and the old greedy bastard is milking the fuck out of it

i wasn't defending george lucas, just star wars. but since you brought up what else he's done besides star wars, have you heard of some movies about some guy called indiana jones?

also, he's the man who brought us all the land before time. and we all know how much littlefoot rules.

edit: oh and, his company industrial light and magic has revolutionized the special effects industry AND more or less founded pixar (which was then sold).

I agree that the departed was overrated, at least to me. I didn't understand the hype.

All due to hailing Scorcese's return to form and the movies he was well-known for.

Overall it was a'ight...I dug it...but I had seen the original version, Infernal Affairs a few years prior so I was let down when it got adapted as The Departed. The original Hong Kong film is way better. In my opinion at least.