I'm not sure how to feel about this... (C&C RSD)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh not really she sounds to be just a dedicated fan, initially that is what got me into vinyl. when aws pressed diver the first time and I bought it because aws was/is my favorite band. today I have over 600+ records.

haha! +1

Similar story for me man!

I guess I did the same with BTBAM.

Just some parts rubbed me the wrong way. The wanting to buy 4 even though she has no turntable, and what jhulud said.

i didnt know certain people were entitled to buy something more than others...

it would be nice if said person buying it had a means to actually use and enjoy it in the way it was intended to be used and enjoyed.

If she gets any form of enjoyment out of owning it it's served its purpose, In my opinion. It made her happy. She may not be listening to the music, but she's getting joy out of owning the product.

I agree with matthew, no one is more entitled to buy a record than anyone else.

it would be nice if said person buying it had a means to actually use and enjoy it in the way it was intended to be used and enjoyed.

If she gets any form of enjoyment out of owning it it's served its purpose, In my opinion. It made her happy. She may not be listening to the music, but she's getting joy out of owning the product.

I agree with matthew, no one is more entitled to buy a record than anyone else.

oh, i agree with you. i just think it would be nice if she would listen to it in that format because it's a good album.

like some other people have said, maybe she'll purchase a record player solely to listen to this and get into collecting records as a result. that'd be nice too.

i didnt know certain people were entitled to buy something more than others...

i dont disagree with you but it doesnt mean shes not allowed to buy a copy. or two. or three (unless the store tells her otherwise which they should). at least shes a fan, her intentions could have been a lot worse.

it just boils down to a sense of entitlement (ronniethebear, anyone?). last i checked, it wasnt against the rules to participate in RSD if you dont own a record player and id bet shes not the only person who doesnt that bought a record that day. you cant be upset with someone for buying an item from a band/musician they like.

Agree with matthew, hickey, etc.

When I was 14 or 15 I started buying Clash records even though I didn't have my own record player. Hopefully she'll become a record-listener as well, and ultimately, the more people that buy vinyl, the more chance there will be of records we love getting pressed and/or re-pressed, not to mention the monetary support for record labels/musicians.

Someone should punch that flatfooted lady right between her bouncy boobs.
If she didn't buy it, I'm sure some asshole would have bought some and been selling them right now anyway.

these.

but she's super whiny and annoying regardless. boo hoo, i have to take a bus to get somewhere. pretty sad a store near her had 4 (or more) copies for her to even purchase. you'd think the clerk wouldn't be cool with someone buying her another copy, but sure. all in the spirit of RSD (google it, i'm not gonna type it out).

at least she's not selling the 2nd copy on ebay but i'm sure her friend's baby could always have her 2nd copy....yeah, it's gonna take that kid 20 years to like City & Colour. ::)

she's super whiny and annoying regardless. boo hoo, i have to take a bus to get somewhere. pretty sad a store near her had 4 (or more) copies for her to even purchase. you'd think the clerk wouldn't be cool with someone buying her another copy, but sure. all in the spirit of RSD (google it, i'm not gonna type it out).

at least she's not selling the 2nd copy on ebay but i'm sure her friend's baby could always have her 2nd copy....yeah, it's gonna take that kid 20 years to like City & Colour. ::)

Hah. Very well said.

To be fair... my comments were made in jest, for the most part. The only aspect that bothered me was the attempt at hoarding. The intention of buying all four copies if she could have, you know? I know she's a huge fan of Dallas, and that the release is super limited, but... why would anyone need to grab all of the available copies?

It's cool that she bought her friend a copy or whatever. But using said friend's baby for justification is a little sketchy. Far be it from me to ridicule that, though.

To add my $0.02 to what a lot of people have said - I don't think that there's necessarily anything wrong with your first record or two being purchased prior to a turntable. I'm certainly "guilty" of that; I grabbed a few [common] records for cheap, years ago, and it was a few months before I decided that it'd be cool to listen to them. It happens. I'll even admit that I initially framed one of them, in shrink and all. Wanna'fightaboutit?

But I'm grateful I went that route, obviously, since I've come to love vinyl over the years. Collecting and playing them, that is. I have a friend who owns an entirely mint collection: he loves tracking down his favorite albums, so long as they're available today. He keeps them unplayed [and sealed if applicable], as well. He hasn't sold a single one, as far as I know - he says that he may someday play them, or pass them on to his future kids, but for the time being... he just has a passion for collecting. And I see nothing wrong with that, I guess. Especially since he's not "on the ball" enough to get in on the super limited releases or variants.

(Vague tangent, for those folks who are immune to tl;dr syndrome. At what time does it become "cool" or respectable for people to keep a record mint? I've seen Youtube videos of people with an impressive collection of dated vinyl, still in the shrink. And they receive praise for maintaining such a pristine library of releases. They get no flack for never opening the albums, but rather, they're considered hardcore collectors. Just wondering how long that takes; 10 years? 20? Surely, there comes a time when you can shake off the dirty flipper title and suspicions.)

Those are my thoughts. As a lot of people have said - and said well - no one should be "entitled" to own a record over anyone else. I'm glad that this chick isn't flipping the record, but at the same time, I still can't respect her hoarding intentions.