Euthanizing my dog tomorrow morning.

Yes I will be. I live pretty close to my parents and I know my boss will be really understanding to the whole thing, she has a bunch of pets she is really close with. I can't even imagine how hard it is going to be, but it's going to be the right thing to do and I'm happy I've had so many good years with her.

I'm so sorry man, I know what it's like. :(

When our Rat Terrier went blind, we bought her a seeing eye dog (a little chihuahua) and when he was two, he was killed by coyotes. Coyotes also took my blind dog and ripped her up pretty bad. After she recovered, we got another chihuahua and she ended up becoming our indoors dog because we didn't want her to have the same fate, as the blind dog was attacked yet again by coyotes. About six months ago we woke up to her in a puddle of blood in her bed. She couldn't walk and could barely even cry. By the time we got her to the vet, she was bleeding from her ears, eyes, mouth, and died on the vet's table. My family just has bad luck with our dogs. 2 months ago we all watched as two pit bulls jumped out fence and attempted to rip my dog's head off. She's doing fine now. I swear she's a miracle.

Wow, I'm so sorry for your loss. I just got my dog a little less than a year ago (a female Maltese). She's the sweetest and most innocent pup ever. Can't imagine what it'd be like to go through something like having to go to the vet to put her down. Stay strong and enjoy these last moments.

I'm so sorry man, I know what it's like. :(

When our Rat Terrier went blind, we bought her a seeing eye dog (a little chihuahua) and when he was two, he was killed by coyotes. Coyotes also took my blind dog and ripped her up pretty bad. After she recovered, we got another chihuahua and she ended up becoming our indoors dog because we didn't want her to have the same fate, as the blind dog was attacked yet again by coyotes. About six months ago we woke up to her in a puddle of blood in her bed. She couldn't walk and could barely even cry. By the time we got her to the vet, she was bleeding from her ears, eyes, mouth, and died on the vet's table. My family just has bad luck with our dogs. 2 months ago we all watched as two pit bulls jumped out fence and attempted to rip my dog's head off. She's doing fine now. I swear she's a miracle.

Geeeeze man that sucks.

I'm fostering a pitbull and 8 pups right now for the humane society. I don't know how I feel about them. The mom is super friendly towards people but is definitely aggressive towards other dogs. Even the pups can get aggressive with each other. I hope these dogs go to good homes and I'm doing everything I can to take care of them. But my opinion of that breed as a whole is that we would be better off just fixing all of them and letting the breed die out. So many dogs out there that are just as loving and smart as pitbulls towards people (which is why so many people love them) but that aren't predisposed to dog-on-dog aggression.

Sorry to hear about this. I had to put down my cat that I had for 20 years. There were so many memories and pivotal moments in my life that she was a part of and it was a very difficult time. The day we had the vet come over to give her the shot, she seemed fine, but I knew that was just the selfish part of me trying to convince myself that maybe she could hold out for a bit longer. She was suffering and it would have been cruel not to let her go. I held her as she slipped away.

Geeeeze man that sucks.

I'm fostering a pitbull and 8 pups right now for the humane society. I don't know how I feel about them. The mom is super friendly towards people but is definitely aggressive towards other dogs. Even the pups can get aggressive with each other. I hope these dogs go to good homes and I'm doing everything I can to take care of them. But my opinion of that breed as a whole is that we would be better off just fixing all of them and letting the breed die out. So many dogs out there that are just as loving and smart as pitbulls towards people (which is why so many people love them) but that aren't predisposed to dog-on-dog aggression.

As we later found out through neighbors of the dog's owners and from police records, the owners were young adults whose parents had been deported. Drug dealers that were breeding the dogs and training them for "protection." They had multiple sets of dogs going through the house all the time. I guess the dad pitbull (the ones that attacked my dog were both female) would kill the puppies. They aren't allowed to own dogs anymore. The two pits became "property of the city."

So this is happening for me tomorrow.  :( The vet is going to come to us, which I think will be better for my dog, she always hated going to the vet. I keep telling myself I should be happy I had her for 19 years and she had a great life, but it's still incredibly difficult...

Everyone should spend some time with their pets tonight!

aw jess, i'm sorry :( i am sure your dog has had a great life. sucks that they can't live as long as we do :(

my parents, usually my dad, was always the one in the room with our cats when the time came. i don't know if i could do it. i have three cats of my own now and it makes me sick thinking about it.

So this is happening for me tomorrow. :( The vet is going to come to us, which I think will be better for my dog, she always hated going to the vet. I keep telling myself I should be happy I had her for 19 years and she had a great life, but it's still incredibly difficult...

Everyone should spend some time with their pets tonight!

F... Tearing up so bad right now. Sending you and your family my thoughts. I have two dogs and I hope if they're in pain and at the end of their lives I'd be able to make that decision... But god would it be difficult because I just want them around forever. When I get home, I'm going to give both of them giant bear hugs.

Had a hard time reading through this thread, knowing that the dog that I've had since I was 7 (the one in my picture) is getting on the older side. We rescued her from an abusive home, and I think when the time comes, its just best to know that we gave her a much better life then she would have had. It's been hard being away from home for the first time this year since I don't see her that often, I can't wait to see her again, I loved being home on winter break and getting to hang out with her all day like before.

But anyways, I think that that is the most important thing to remember, that you made a difference in their life for the better. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had to put a dog down this week. She was 10 but looked at least 15. Horribly bad hips. Was having accidents. Not mean but also not the nicest dog in the world. I had her for about 3 years. Her original owner was going to have her put down cause she couldn't be trusted around an infant so I took her. Gave her a little more time but I knew it was time to call it quits.

Anyways, I'm friends with this lady who lives on the other side of my canal (which is as close as a next door neighbor). Super nice and a dog person (has 3). I guess my sister texted her that I had to put the dog down, so this morning there was an "I'm sorry for your loss" card in my door from her. Pretty sweet gesture.

I'm about to text her a response. Being brutally honest, I'm happier without the dog (I have a much better, healthier one now). She wasn't a great dog and it wasn't my childhood best friend. I don't want to ever see a dog put down but I'm happy to not have the responsibility. I'm gonna text something much different, though.

I put down my first dog after just five years. Autoimmune disorder just kind of clicked, and by the time we noticed there was a problem, it would've been too late, and would've just been more pain for him.

I miss that fucker so much. Seriously, I'll randomly break into fucking tears. When presented with the form to sign to put him down, I walked out of the building and into traffic, and just hoped someone would hit me. Al the shit I'm dealing with then and still plus that just was too much that night.

Fletcher, aka Dogeetus J. Vanderhorst Pupington LXXXVII, will always be missed. So goddamn much.