vinyl pet peeves?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same, but it also bothers me when a single LP has gatefold packaging.

Brand New's Daisy is like that and its pretty bad ass if you ask me.

I think its weird when a 5/6 track EP is pressed on a 12" or when one track is pressed on a 12".

12" singles have their place.

It irks me that there are far fewer physical places to rummage through stacks yet vinyl is hugely popular. I wish I could have more options from beyond the internet.

i know you're from jersey. ever go to scotti's? even if you wanted to rummage through vinyl, you couldn't afford anything. having only 2-3 good record stores in the state sucks.

Don't know Scotti's. Princeton Record Exchange and Vintage Vinyl are the two best in my experience. Hold Fast in Asbury is the closest thing to an old-school punk shop. With a one year old it is really hard to take a whole day to record shop so I cruise this site more than any physical store and that's criminal.

I am a bit spoiled though since I work in NY and kill the occasional lunch hour at Generation and Other. But that too is a rare pain in the ass even though they are awesome stores.

i know you're from jersey. ever go to scotti's? even if you wanted to rummage through vinyl, you couldn't afford anything. having only 2-3 good record stores in the state sucks.

Don't know Scotti's. Princeton Record Exchange and Vintage Vinyl are the two best in my experience. Hold Fast in Asbury is the closest thing to an old-school punk shop. With a one year old it is really hard to take a whole day to record shop so I cruise this site more than any physical store and that's criminal.

I am a bit spoiled though since I work in NY and kill the occasional lunch hour at Generation and Other. But that too is a rare pain in the ass even though they are awesome stores.

there used to be 5 or 6 scotti's around north jersey, now there are 2. wildly overprices. like, $20 is their least expensive new record, and they charge like $5-15 for used records in average condition. VV and PREX are good, but they're at least an hour hike from where I am to either. i should start taking the train into the city just to go record shopping...

People who buy records but don't own a turntable of any kind.

Framed records.

vinyl.

Pre-orders for in demand releases/bands on sites whose servers cannot accomodate the volume. If you can't handle it, do it another way (or don't announce it ahead of time, etc).

Limited variants/7" only available in "bundle packages". Most recent example is The Horrible Crowes presale that just happened. I'd like the 7" but didn't need the other bullshit.

...And almost everything else that's been posted previously.

Seam splits. Great packaging looks shitty w/ seam splits.

Records not coming with paper sleeves.

Records with printed inner sleeves, give me a regular insert please.

No inserts.

Flimsy vinyl.

One sided 12" records with a blank B-side and no etching/screen print.

33rpm 7 inches. I just always expect a 7" to play at 45.

Variants. Just do one colored version and/or plain black and that's it. Keep it simple and affordable.

Like said by others the whole not labeled sides and speeds is annoying as hell.

If for some reason there isn't a insert or printed inner sleeves for the love of god put the track list on the back. Some of us actually buy vinyl to play and not to just collect and look at.