Has anyone ever sold all their shit and just moved

never done that, but if you're planning on it, i'll take these ;)

7"

Get Up Kids, The-Woodson. 1st Press. Black No Insert OOP

Saves The Day-Anywhere With You. 1st Press. Orange OOP

10"

Frank Turner-Campfire Punk Rock. 1st Press. Black /200

12"

Able Baker Fox-Voices. 1st Press. Black/Yellow /275

Beatles,The-White Album. 1978 Capitol Press. White with all original inserts/posters 2xLP OOP

just because? Like all or almost everything you owned for no good reason and just took off to another city?

yes. i moved to san antonio that exact way. i took my records (about 200 lps and 300 7"s, and two trashbags of clothes. no toothbrush, nothing. i had money so i just bought stuff when i get to my destination. did the same when i moved to austin. was suppose to visit and just stayed. had nothing. sometimes it's so much easier that way. but over the years i've kept so many momentos i can't get rid of. :(

Not just up and left, though I have seriously considered it once or twice. I'm moving within the next month and really just looking around at all the things that I own, you really don't realize how much stuff you have until you have to pack it and all. So i'm going through and selling off a TON of stuff. Figure I'll start fresh after the move.

there was an article online a few years back about a guy who had like a ballin' ass job and was raking in the cash huge house, nice shit, a few cars....just up and decided, don't wanna do this anymore, bought a passport and sold every item he owned except for his passport, wallet, and the clothes he was physically wearing and just left and started globe-trotting until he found a destination he wanted to be in

there was an article online a few years back about a guy who had like a ballin' ass job and was raking in the cash huge house, nice shit, a few cars....just up and decided, don't wanna do this anymore, bought a passport and sold every item he owned except for his passport, wallet, and the clothes he was physically wearing and just left and started globe-trotting until he found a destination he wanted to be in

that's what i would do if i had the $$$.

I've done it once before, and am about to do it again. I'm originally from California, born in Oakland in 78. After high school, just didn't have things going on, was doing bad drugs, and fucking up left and right. Told a few close friends I was going to bail, and if they wanted to go, now is the time we were 20 years old. Everyone was to scared. I sold all my shit, my car, clothes, vinyl, etc quit my job and hit the road. Ended up north in Seattle for about five years ..

Met my wife who was from Portland, moved to Portland, and been since the past 7 years. Now, I have two very decent jobs, one I like a lot, I'm making good money, have a house, and just in general happy, have friends here up I5 in Seattle, and in Portland where I live that I'm very close to. Its nice to be able to go to the coast in two hours, or go to a punk show here in Portland.

Now I'm planning on leaving everything behind, selling most of my personal things off, and moving to the middle of no where Arizona. Where the economy is bad, there is no jobs at all, the jobs they do have pay shit, no benefits, and nothing to do. Except, I kind of like the idea of moving out in the middle of a desert and starting over. My wife has a side of her family in the Phoenix area, so she's into it. I'm 32 years old. And my life is just about to get really interesting again, on how to survive and thrive.

Good luck to you if you do it, it's definitely good for you, it helps you grow as a person, teaches you some life lessons.

late

sickteen

Wanted to do this so many times. Never had the guts.

I read an article a few years back about a guy who sold his house and all his belongings in one go from a personal website. I think this might be what birdwell is talking about. Can't find the website or any news stories about it, but I remember that's what made me want to do this.

I just upped and moved to Tokyo from Chicago. It's for a year, at least for now. packed up 2 boxes full of cloth, and my computer. Left some belongings and records (to expensive to ship for a year, and i miss em like crazy) I've only been here 3 days but its pretty legit and so weird having not 1 person know 1 thing about me, kind of nice but also pretty damn scary

I just upped and moved to Tokyo from Chicago. signed on for a teaching job for a year, at least for now. packed up 2 boxes full of clothes, and my computer. Left some belongings and records (to expensive to ship for a year, and i miss em like crazy) I've only been here 3 days but its pretty legit and so weird having not 1 person know 1 thing about me, kind of nice but also pretty damn scary

im thinking about doing this myself. im slowly getting rid of my collections(comics, vinyl, books, etc.), old clothes, and some other shit. once my lease starts getting close im going to try and get rid of some bigger stuff. sell my imac and try and get macbook, upgrade my camera and lastly frop the car. things are gonna get weird if i follow through.

I have always been somewhat of a minimalist, everything I own can fit in a small van. since High school I have been somewhat of "gypsy" moving at will, get tired of a place, pack up and move on.

its not a bad lifestyle. I really dont have anything that holds me down, I'm through with college, no kids, not married. cars paid for.

I'd like to do this, but a number of stupid reasons keep me around. I don't really like interacting with any of my family, but my Grandmothers are getting up there, and I'd hate to be away if they pass. I have a few really close friends in the area still, but the majority of my so called friends I wouldn't mind not seeing anymore. Money is low for me now, and I have no ambitions for what I want to do to make money for the rest of my life. No clue where I'd run off to anyway, but anywhere but here is would be better.

I also have horrible anxiety which may or may not get worse with a relocation. At least here I know where everything in the greater area is, so I'm not lost and freaking out driving.

The way I did it is different. But I needed change. I left everything at home with my mum in Australia, took all my money and traveled Tokyo, Europe and North America. Moved into a place in Toronto with just my backpack full of clothes mainly and starting to live here now. For how long, who knows? I do know that we have to move again in a month. Where to, we arent sure yet. Perhaps another part of Canada.

Guest errolwest
The way I did it is different. But I needed change. I left everything at home with my mum in Australia, took all my money and traveled Tokyo, Europe and North America. Moved into a place in Toronto with just my backpack full of clothes mainly and starting to live here now. For how long, who knows? I do know that we have to move again in a month. Where to, we arent sure yet. Perhaps another part of Canada.

if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, come say hi!