a DISCOGS question

speely

I've just registered on Discogs. Has anyone here used it for selling stuff? What's your opinion? Does it work smoothly? Is it good for both vinyl and CDs? Any tips you feel like giving?

Also, when I add items for sale I see that people have them on their want lists. Do they receive a notification that such record is now available, or shall I maybe contact them directly?

Has anyone experienced any problems with Discogs so far?

Thanx for your help!!

adam

Discogs is awesome. All kinds of good deals for buyers. I have gotten all kinds of gems off there that I wouldn't have had a chance for that price on Ebay. Cursive Disruption 7" First Press ( Yellow Cover) is my best deal ever on there for $23 dollars. That would go for at least 60 on the bay and in the past has gone over $100.

I've used Discogs a good bit in the last year and for the most part (the exception being a seller whose standards of VG and NM were infact NOT those things at all) have had good experiences with it. Folks tend to be more apt to haggling on there as they keep their items listed until they sell which in some case means records can sit there for years which translates to them being willing to move them for less than what they have them marked for. Definitely recommended.

So, if someone contacts you that he/she has an item on your want list, would that be considered curteous or pushy?

I could see many buyers thinking that's a bit pushy. If it's in their want list, they're already gonna get an e-mail saying it's for sale so I wouldn't worry about sending them a direct message about the item as well. Discogs is a fantastic site, it's the main place I buy from these days. Only drawback is the fact you may have to wait a bit for your item to sell since there's not as much traffic as a site like eBay. You also have to send an invoice once someone decides to purchase something so it's not as instant as buying something on eBay.

So, if someone contacts you that he/she has an item on your want list, would that be considered curteous or pushy?

You also have to send an invoice once someone decides to purchase something so it's not as instant as buying something on eBay.

Is this "invoice" something provided directly by Discogs? I suppose you don't have to be a registered company in order to sell something.

You also have to send an invoice once someone decides to purchase something so it's not as instant as buying something on eBay.

Is this "invoice" something provided directly by Discogs? I suppose you don't have to be a registered company in order to sell something.

The invoicing is very informal. Once someone places an order, Discogs emails you the details. You then have to "invoice" the customer by emailing them back and saying "Here is the total plus shipping. Please send to [email protected] via PayPal".

Guest deathbydrums

^^Actually, just recently they've implemented an invoicing system less than a month ago.

Discogs is awesome. You can find most things on there and haggle with ease, trade and there is pressing info for a lot of the releases. People there seem to know how to pack vinyl because that's all they sellz.

What do you mean by "higher standard of condition"? People overdo M and NM or you think they rate their records lower than they do on Ebay?

They rate more accurately than on ebay.

Similar experience unless the persons only sells hip hop records often the sleeves are way more beaten than rated. Dont know if it is common, but it happened three times when I bought from sellers who sell mostly hip hop records.

If someone contacts you about an item on your wantlist, it depends on the price and quality if it a curteous or pushy. But often it is seems more pushy to me, especially when they offer a common record which you can pick up for 10 to 15 bucks and they say it is ultra rare and they want "just" 75 bucks for it. Like they are given me an awesome deal.

I have only had 1 experience where I bought something that was not correctly listed. I purchased an import and I got the US pressing. But the dude was more than helpful in refunding me right away. It turns out that he is a user here in VC as well and I ended up buying other stuff from him because of how well he communicated with me on discogs. Other than that, it is awesome!

They rate more accurately than on ebay.

Not strictly true. Most Discogs sellers also sell on Amazon and Ebay. Discogs uses the Goldmine standard which is very strict. Most users abide by this grading, however many "interpret" the guidelines for personal gain rather than representing exactly what the record grading is. There are a whole host of sellers there who use the mint grading for all their stock and cause no end of controversy. Discogs is better than Ebay in my view, but the difference is the feedback system, if you get neg fb and it's retaliatory Discogs are very adept at sorting things out. For sellers its more balanced that Ebay (Ebay is very buyer-centric). I love Discogs but it is not without its problems.

I've purchased a record listed as NM and it was VG. It was covered in black gunk and scratched up. The seller was cool and gave me a partial refund (it was an expensive record). I prefer discogs over eBay, but because there are no photos of items, it's sometimes hit or miss.

Italians have been really cool. Americans so so.

^^Actually, just recently they've implemented an invoicing system less than a month ago.

Have they! I'll have to look out for that!

I sell quite a bit on discogs, and when I get an order I just send an invoice via paypal, it's simple enough, but It'd be better to do it direct through discogs.