Record collection question

only stuff i absolutely love have i bought on multiple formats.

typically i exclusively buy vinyl unless it was only released on another format.

i have a pretty huge cd collection but 90% of them were purchased before i got dick deep in teh rekkidz.

edit:

never answered your question.

probably less than 20.

Not many, I only buy CDs from local bands that won't have the money to press a record. I'll buy it on vinyl or download it. Screw buying CDs when all I'll do it rip it on to my computer then put it in a cupboard for years

I havent bought a cd in at least 3 years

However that does not mean I wasnt buying cds in 1994. Kind of like the original post mentions

I bought cd's exclusively up until I was 18 when I switched over to vinyl. In the several years since then, I've gone back and replicated much of my cd collection to my record collection - alot of it I haven't been able to as much of it either never came out on vinyl (we are talking the 90's here) or is mad expensive (again, we're talking the 90's where the records that DID get pressed to vinyl were done so in far more limited quantities - I'm referring to more major label stuff, not the indie labels who pressed just as much as they ever did).

When I was working at Lou's Records in San Diego, I would grab the cheap discs, cutouts and promos. I would hear new music that way, and decide whether or not to grab the LP. By this process, I collected a ton of cds, and was way more selective about my vinyl.

And I got some great used records at Lou's too. Employees got first pick before used stock went on the shelves. That was probably the best job I've ever had.

I had a few hundred cds by the time I bought my first record player in '97. I started buying the albums I had on CD on LP, but figured I could never afford it and decided to spend money on new music. One day I copied all of my cds onto blanks and sold the originals on ebay. I moved across the country and forgot about my records. I returned home, got an ipod and only listened to mp3s for several years. I found this site in 2008 or 2009 and bought another record player. I realized that mp3s (the 120/160kb I had) sound like shit and have been slowly but surely buying everything again on vinyl.

How many records have you purchased after owning the cd? Example, you liked Jawbreaker- Dear You in the 90's and when they reissued it on vinyl you bought that

I would say I own about 150ish records that I purchased on cd prior

I disliked that Jawbreaker album when I bought it when it was released. I'm still not really a fan of it but i don't hate it like I once did. I owned the vinyl back then.

Harkonen - Shake Harder Boy is an example of something I got on vinyl once it was released after already having the cd. Of course had it come on vinyl when it was released I'd have never bought the CD.

And to finish answering your question, there's been plenty of stuff I only bought on CD in the 90's that I have picked up vinyl of when I find it used.

all i know is that i bought tell all your friends on cd. then i bought it on cd again when they released a deluxe edition. then my friend gave me an og press. then they released it on purple and i bought that, because, well, i wanted a purple record.

tell all your friends isnt even my favorite tbs album.

I can't bear to calculate an exact answer to this question, but I know that I still collect CDs at an alarming rate along with records.

I have probably 100+ instances where I bought the CD and then scooped up the vinyl when it was pressed after the fact, but I'd say that the majority of my multi-format overlaps come from the fact that I still utilize the CD player in my car and being that I am a very frequent customer at my local record store, I scoop up most used CDs for about a dollar (or less if it's a particularly easy-to-find title), so I tend to fill out most albums that I'm into that way.

The latter generally happens when I've shelled out decent money for a limited edition preorder+shipping first and then I stumble upon a used copy down the road. I can't recall ever thinking "Damn! I need to go to FYE and pick up that CD *and* LP of..."

I am happy when a 90s release makes it to vinyl. For me there's about ten CD only releases I would kill for on vinyl. That said, about a year ago I gave away 600 of my 700+ CD collection.

I'm also prone to buying ridiculously expensive 90s vinyl that's OOP.

I'm going to start an OOP 90s vinyl blog. Pirate all things that are too valuable on vinyl at 24/96. For instance... I love Third Eye Blind and Cake's first major debuts...but no one should have to pay over $100 for them.

I have quite a bit of vinyl that I also have on CD. Most of the older instances of this (mid-late 90s stuff from when I was in college) are mostly the albums I really adored (usually from my favorite-est of favorite bands) and I would buy both at the same time or within a week or two. This was when CDs were in their extreme prime and vinyl was pretty uncommon except for a few things. I bought the vinyl basically as a sort of "collector's item", even though I would play the vinyl occasionally back then and I'm not in it for the money/trading aspects of collecting.

I more or less stopped buying CDs and moved to buying/torrenting mp3s (or AAC from iTunes, I guess) shortly after I got an iPod in 2005 aside from the bands I really really liked and wanted the experience of the artwork and all that. At this point I didn't have a working turntable so I probably only bought 2-3 records over a 3-4 year period for lack of a player, and these were pretty much all from random browsing at a record shop where I saw something and really felt it was noteworthy.

Now I have a turntable again and I've bought 5 CDs in the last 3 years - one was the Foo Fighters' Wasting Light because it came with a piece of the master tape and how cool is that, and the other three were "deluxe editions" with fancy packaging/extra discs/DVDs/vinyl/booklets/art/etc. I buy vinyl for new music I really dig, and I also buy older music that I already have on CD because I want the vinyl. Some of that older music is 90s stuff getting vinyl presses that didn't exist before, some of it is 2000-decade stuff that either is getting repressed or is just stuff from when I wasn't really buying vinyl. I'd say my current purchase pattern is a rough 50-50 mix of new stuff and stuff I already have on CD, and my entire vinyl collection (a little over 200 LPs) is probably 35% duplicated on CD.

At this point, the only scenario in which I would ever buy a CD is if it was a local band who only had CDs and I wanted to support them.