Smashing Pumpkins

First post here, just registered to add my two cents.

I've been following this thread since I got my 4lp set a couple weeks back, as well as the thread over at the SH forums.  The distortion on Zero seems to be causing lots of people issues.  Now, I'm not saying there aren't bad copies out there, as this was likely mass produced and with the preorder debacle with Amazon worn stampers could have been used somewhere in the production.

But unlike many here and over at SH, I barely got any IGD on Zero or anywhere else on the 4LPs.  In fact, the set sounds fantastic.  I'm running a Technics SL-5300 with a vintage Stanton 681eee armed with a Jico Shibata stylus, so it's not like I'm using a $20,000 setup to get these good results.

A user on SH with a similar setup as me was getting similar results to most people on here: crappy distortion on Zero and unbalanced stereo imaging.  Then he used a printout Stevenson arc protractor from Vinylengine (as suggested for Technics S-shaped arms) and tweaked his alignment and low and behold--no more distortion!!!  Here's his post:

Ok. i just finished to align my TT using a printed arc Stevenson protractor and I got my the cartridge aligned with a accuracy of +/- 0.25mm. Now i am playing the record and I can not hear the distortion at Zero. Also the balance is much better now. Now i can say the problems were with my TT setup

So instead of using my Baerwald mirrored protractor I did the same thing and used a Stevenson arc protractor.  Guess what...now instead of a little IGD especially on Zero and other tracks I get none whatsoever.

I know it's going to sound arrogant and condescending of me but please folks, really look into aligning your carts, checking your stylii, etc.  Find out the preferable protractor types for your tonearm types.  Most can be found for free online and printed out.  This remastered vinyl set sounds fantastic--warm, dynamic, and clear, and I'd hate for most people not to enjoy it because they're not patient enough/too pissed to work out any equipment issues.  That being said, this really should have been cut better so that it would have been easier to track, but the reward is worth the hassle in my opinion.

Happy playing folks.

^you realize plenty of people here have a properly set up turntable already. i am sure you also realize that it makes no sense that that this could be an alignment issue since "zero" sounds like shit when compared to the other 7 inner groove tracks on the 4xLP set...and several have the same amount of dead wax (or lack there of).

Just listened to my set, same issue with jellybelly and zero as a lot of people are experiencing. The rest of the songs sound really good! I'm pretty sure my TT is aligned correctly, but I'm gonna look into that Stevenson arc protractor. This is the first record I ever had distortion issues with. 100% correct alignement might solve the issue, but it's still a production failure in my book.

^you realize plenty of people here have a properly set up turntable already. i am sure you also realize that it makes no sense that that this could be an alignment issue since "zero" sounds like shit when compared to the other 7 inner groove tracks on the 4xLP set...and several have the same amount of dead wax (or lack there of).

I thought that people over at SH would have their stuff set up properly too but you'd be surprised.

Not just any kind of track on inner grooves give carts trouble.  It's usually loud and bassy tracks on inner grooves that cause tracking problems.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Zero is by far the loudest song along the inner groove of any side on the album.  Back in the old days, if there had to be a longer LP side, artists would typically put quieter acoustic songs at the end of sides to eliminate extreme loss of sound quality.

Like I said, this could have been cut in such a way that most people would have zero (see what I did there!) problems playing it, but from personal experience and from the experiences of others I'm urging others to be patient with trying to figure this out.

And I'm guessing there really are bad copies out there.

Just listened to my set, same issue with jellybelly and zero as a lot of people are experiencing. The rest of the songs sound really good! I'm pretty sure my TT is aligned correctly, but I'm gonna look into that Stevenson arc protractor. This is the first record I ever had distortion issues with. 100% correct alignement might solve the issue, but it's still a production failure in my book.

Exactly.  My point is that we're more likely to get the results that we want (an awesome sounding LP) through messing with our equipment calibration than getting the record company to repress it and replace it for us.

PETITION: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/smashingpumpkins-melloncollie/

or http://bit.ly/UVDljr

I set the target at 500 signatures, so GET SHARING, PEOPLE.

and I know how fast this thread grows, so keep quoting this post so everyone can see it. Let's get our replacements!

thanks.  signed.

PETITION: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/smashingpumpkins-melloncollie/

or http://bit.ly/UVDljr

I set the target at 500 signatures, so GET SHARING, PEOPLE.

and I know how fast this thread grows, so keep quoting this post so everyone can see it. Let's get our replacements!

NEW PAGE QUOTE