Smashing Pumpkins

I discussed this at Steve Hoffman board and apparently only the EU press of Oceania has problems, the USA press of Oceania is supposedly fine (I say supposedly because I have the USA press, but I just havent found the time to listen to it :)) I dont have the EU press.

i have the US pressing and it's pretty bad throughout so I think this is wrong.

My US press is fine, minus a little bit of IGD at the end of a couple sides.  Again, like MCIS, I think it has to do with stylus/cart combinations.  Which is BS since these are mainstream releases and should be generally playable for almost everyone with decent setups.

Here is the thread, look for the last few replies there, especially this:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/smashing-pumpkins-oceania.264018/page-6

"The only difference that I know of, is that the EU vinyl pressing is supposed to be bad, many returns due to warped discs, etc. I had it on pre-order and cancelled in favor of the US pressing. I'm glad I did as the US press is so well done, quiet, flat LP's, really heavy too. Some have complained of the lack of deadwax causing issues with their TT's, but mine handled it fine, didn't cause a problem. I've never seen an LP with so little deadwax, especially LP number 2."

As I mentioned earlier, this LP set has caused me to give 'Mellon Collie' a serious reassessment and I'm enjoying it way more than I have in ages. Listening now, my thought is that if they had put "Stumbeline" at the end of side F where it belongs, the third LP would be just about perfect.

I've also always had a very, very soft spot for both "In The Arms of Sleep" - one of the most beautiful songs Billy's ever written - and "Tales of a Scorched Earth", so there is that.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they were all EU pressings?

There were two different pressings with two different stamper/matrix codes.

I don't know where they were each cut, but the one produced for US/Canada distribution has the thin deadwax and the tracking problems as on Zero.  The stamper codes look like this on the US/Canada pressing (according to Discogs):

• Matrix / Runout (Side A): 5099997855316 Disc1-A (handwritten)P.USA (handwritten) -26098-
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B ): 5099997855316 Disc1-B (handwritten) -26098- (handwritten)A+R Dallas -SPGII (handwritten)P.USA

And this on the EU pressing:

• Matrix / Runout (Side A): 5099997855712A
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B ): 5099997855712B

There were two different pressings with two different stamper/matrix codes.

I don't know where they were each cut, but the one produced for US/Canada distribution has the thin deadwax and the tracking problems as on Zero.  The stamper codes look like this on the US/Canada pressing (according to Discogs):

• Matrix / Runout (Side A): 5099997855316 Disc1-A (handwritten)P.USA (handwritten) -26098-
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B ): 5099997855316 Disc1-B (handwritten) -26098- (handwritten)A+R Dallas -SPGII (handwritten)P.USA

And this on the EU pressing:

• Matrix / Runout (Side A): 5099997855712A
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B ): 5099997855712B

The first set of runouts is a Pallas press.

The first set of runouts is a Pallas press.

Ok, got the EU pressing with the WIDE deadwax.  Zero has none of the problems that the US pressing had.  This pressing isn't cut nearly as hot but is equally as quiet.  I tested it with my Nagaoka MP-110 that was giving me more issues than my Stanton/shibata.  The US pressing caused some crackling distortion on the US pressing during the last 15 seconds of Zero and the EU pressing sounds clear as can be.  I can post comparison samples if there's enough interest.

So yeah, after listening to zero, I have the distortion. And it wouldn't be the way it was had it been a different song that isn't so noisy. It's funny because the last line of the song that's just billy song by himself with no instrumentation is clean as whistle. Everything before it sounds like its gonna make my turntable explode. I guess if I had a better setup that could handle it, it wouldn't be so bad. It really sucks, but I'm still happy I bought it, and I paid full price

It's just sad that we waited so long for this to come out, and when it finally did, it had a few problems.

But I wouldn't hold out for a repress, I don't think they'll change this one.

Ill buy the fucked up press. Just dont wanna pay that price and Im sure these will hit popmarket eventually