Smashing Pumpkins

don't think we need everyone's tracking information, amirite?

Honestly who gives a shit. People are excited about this! It's a nice set, and there's been a lot going on about it. When a thread is chugging at 65 pages long, it takes on a personality of its own.

As far as the VINYL, it seems like good presses and bad presses are a luck of the draw, regardless if it's a .ca or .com purchase. I'm crossing my fingers for a good one! Will be spinning this tomorrow!

For the sake of beating a dead horse, I got my copy yesterday from .ca and "Zero" sounds atrocious.  I haven't listened to anything after "Zero", but the beginning of that side of the record sounds fantastic.  It actually prompted me to check my cartridge alignment, and it turns out my cartridge was slightly off.  So that's a plus.  Unfortunately improving the alignment may have made "Zero" sound worse - if possible.  On the bright side the rest of the record sounds even better than my first listen through.

So I have to say that after spending some time with the reissue - the first serious time I've spent with the album in many years - I may have been giving it the short end of the stick all this time. There's still some dreck that hasn't aged well, but there's also many gems that I let get overshadowed by what I didn't like.

Song for song I still think 'Aeroplane' is stronger, but I was pleasantly surprised by my listening experience in terms of the songs themselves. So in that regards, reissue success!

(That said, I still can't see myself committing to listening to the entire thing all too terribly often.)

Just got in to Los Angeles last night. Moving from Idaho. My copy was here and I was so excited that I had to pull my receiver and turntable out of the U-Haul to check it out. Unfortunately I am experiencing the crazy sibilance on Billy's vocal at the very end of Zero like many have described. Headed to Pennsylvania on Thursday for Christmas and when I get back, I plan on checking my cartridge alignment and trying again. There were also some problems near the end of Galapogos, but not nearly as bad as Zero. Overall, the packaging and the sound are incredible. It's unfortunate for something that appears to have a lot of thought and effort put in to it to have problems like this.

To the person that requested the EU press from Amazon.ca: how did that go down? Did they accommodate you and and did you get a good-sounding copy with more dead wax near the center labels?

This issue cannot simply be a cartridge alignment issue. That's BS. The problem is maxing the levels in the cutting process. Its so goddamn stupid and unnecessary. They made a bad choice in Stan Getz for this one. The funny thing is that SD and Gish seem to not have any of these types of problems but on the big Kahuna they decide to get dicey and flirt whorey with the red zone and the dead wax at the same time. Recipe for disaster. The first half of most of the discs are great albeit unnecessarily loud but it works. Once you cross the halfway point on all of them it gets progressively more clipped. The only thing that saves most of the sides from getting terrible is the occurrence of quiter dynamic songs falling on those regions close to the inner grooves and dead wax but even on most the songs that sound good on the inside, the vocals are mixed high enough to produce crazy amounts of silibance. The soft clean guitars are ringing nicely but the vocals are turning red.

I know that any record is going to begin losing fidelity as you get closer to the label but this is the most intense and immediate flip I've ever heard on that process. The person cutting should have erred on the side of caution rather than max it for loudness.

Got this today, only listened to the first and second side but all the songs sound great except zero, which is just really horrific for the latter half of the song, it was just all noise.

That being said, the box is amazing, especially the lyric book and the personal note book. I'm just so happy to hear these songs on my stereo that I wont even bother with the hassle of exchanging it or some other option

This issue cannot simply be a cartridge alignment issue. That's BS. The problem is maxing the levels in the cutting process. Its so goddamn stupid and unnecessary. They made a bad choice in Stan Getz for this one. The funny thing is that SD and Gish seem to not have any of these types of problems but on the big Kahuna they decide to get dicey and flirt whorey with the red zone and the dead wax at the same time. Recipe for disaster. The first half of most of the discs are great albeit unnecessarily loud but it works. Once you cross the halfway point on all of them it gets progressively more clipped. The only thing that saves most of the sides from getting terrible is the occurrence of quiter dynamic songs falling on those regions close to the inner grooves and dead wax but even on most the songs that sound good on the inside, the vocals are mixed high enough to produce crazy amounts of silibance. The soft clean guitars are ringing nicely but the vocals are turning red.

I know that any record is going to begin losing fidelity as you get closer to the label but this is the most intense and immediate flip I've ever heard on that process. The person cutting should have erred on the side of caution rather than max it for loudness.

exactly my thoughts.  the no dead wax problem is compounded by the mixing and mastering.  i think the music on zero sounds fine but the vocals are all distortion

a lot of aeroplane wound up on the bonus discs of the CD box. it makes me wonder if they're really going to do it.

then again, quite a few tracks from PI were on the siamese dream bonus disc, so i dunno.

Billy's mentioned working on bonus material for 'Aeroplane' more than once, so I'd imagine it'll be next.

It's probably going to be another incredibly overpriced massive set like 'Mellon Collie', but that's to be expected I suppose.

I wonder if there will be a 5xLP set with packaging similar to the 'Mellon Collie' set. (And then another Amazon.ca price eff up so I can justify purchasing it.)

So my girlfriend just gave me this for my birthday and she doesn't listen to vinyl and has no expertise in audio in any way and she picked up on the terribleness in Zero IMMEDIATELY. She even went as far as to say it started in Jellybelly. Chic is a whiz. I never even told her ahead of time that there might be an issue. After she said something about it I gave her a crash course in input gain audio, the loudness war and Mr. Stan Getz' lacquer cutting ethic and she's been cursing his name and talking some serious shit about him. It's been cracking me up. I wish she would let me video her saying this shit 'cause you guys would be eating that shit up. So if even a chic who is familiar with the cd and has no other thoughts about high fidelity audio says some shit, you know it's for real. I think we should all push for recut replacements not another copy of the shit job Getz did. A recut with the levels lowered and closer grooves. This same quantity of minutes per side can sound beautiful if cut correctly. This is such a fuck up its not even funny.

So my girlfriend just gave me this for my birthday and she doesn't listen to vinyl and has no expertise in audio in any way and she picked up on the terribleness in Zero IMMEDIATELY. She even went as far as to say it started in Jellybelly. Chic is a whiz. I never even told her ahead of time that there might be an issue. After she said something about it I gave her a crash course in input gain audio, the loudness war and Mr. Stan Getz' lacquer cutting ethic and she's been cursing his name and talking some serious shit about him. It's been cracking me up. I wish she would let me video her saying this shit 'cause you guys would be eating that shit up. So if even a chic who is familiar with the cd and has no other thoughts about high fidelity audio says some shit, you know it's for real. I think we should all push for recut replacements not another copy of the shit job Getz did. A recut with the levels lowered and closer grooves. This same quantity of minutes per side can sound beautiful if cut correctly. This is such a fuck up its not even funny.

Wow dude. Wife her now!