PO: 311- Grassroots(On Vinyl for the 1st Time)

I don't understand how people are still taking this guy's side after reading a transcript of a conversation with a member of the band saying "hey asshole, I was trying to put this out with people I know, and I don't know you".

This is what it's come to - fuck the musicians, fuck courtesy, fuck integrity, I just want the colored vinylz.

I don't understand what part of his explanation of not wanting to do it without consent you are missing.

I'm sure plenty of records have been pressed without a band knowing it was going to happen. In this case it's a one-man show and all fingers are being pointed at him because he posts on this forum. Are you trying to tell me every piece of vinyl you own was cleared by that band? Don't be so naive.

At least the dude is trying to do something. 311 didn't act like a bunch of bitches when they heard about this, unlike this dude from NFG. And after his bitch reaction, ETR still won't press it? He could just as easily say 'fuck you I'm doing it anyway.'

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure plenty of records have been pressed without a band knowing it was going to happen. In this case it's a one-man show and all fingers are being pointed at him because he posts on this forum. Are you trying to tell me every piece of vinyl you own was cleared by that band? Don't be so naive.

I'm going to go ahead and say yes, with 95% certainty. With the exception of the 2009 Radiohead reissues, Anberlin's Cities (which I found out later was done without the band's knowledge, but this is par for the course with Tooth & Nail), and maaaybe some SST stuff that the band could raise a stink about still being in print despite never receiving royalties. I do know, though, that nothing I own was pressed by some licensing-only "label" that exists to make someone feel like a cool record company boss who's "giving back" to the band and their fans by licensing their releases and sending the master and some artwork files to Pirate's Press to get pressed on superdeluxe haze/splatter/swirl vinyl.

Also, he may be in the early stages of starting to put out that NFG record, but the fact remains that he put in 6 months of "jumping through hoops" before getting in contact with the band. His defense being that he didn't want to waste the band's time by asking them about something that might not be possible on the legal end of things, but when you are in a position to profit off someone else's art, shouldn't the first thing you do be to see what the artist thinks? I mean the very first thing, not after you've gotten permission from the licensing department. It blows my mind that anyone could think otherwise.

I feel like this is the "stand in line for 30 minutes, buy 10 Happy Meals, dump the food in the garbage, immediately put the Beanie Babies in protective cases" phase of the vinyl/licensing craze. The insanity can only decrease from here, right? RIGHT?

What, is the vinyl mafia going to put a hit out on him? Give me a break.

I don't think there is a such thing as the vinyl mafia. But there are labels and bands, and distributors and pr guys and on and on. The music scene isn't quite as sanitized and safe in the real world as it is on the internet. 6131 is a great label, and a real label, not some fly by night licencing house. If a particular label keeps stepping on everyones toes, It's inevetable that something will eventually happen. It is certainly not unheard of to be shut down against your will.

This dude is treading dangerously into a scene he knows absolutely nothing about, except being a "big fan for 10+years".

They should really think about giving up the whole thing of pressing releases that bands don't want them to press.

Yeah, but this is NFG we are talking about, not U2. I don't think the Illuminati are backing NFG.

I don't understand how people are still taking this guy's side after reading a transcript of a conversation with a member of the band saying "hey asshole, I was trying to put this out with people I know, and I don't know you".

This is what it's come to - fuck the musicians, fuck courtesy, fuck integrity, I just want the colored vinylz.

I don't understand what part of his explanation of not wanting to do it without consent you are missing. He got permission to press the record BEFORE asking the band. End of story. He is in the wrong 100%. Put yourself in the shoes of any band member right now and you will understand how shitty this dude is being.

I'm sure plenty of records have been pressed without a band knowing it was going to happen. Labels that own the rights do shitty things like this for example the AFI, Taking Back Sunday, and Silverstein greatest hits albums. This does not make it right and should not be a defense. Even worse is someone licensing an album from a label that is going behind its bands. In this case it's a one-man show and all fingers are being pointed at him because he posts on this forum. Why does he say "we" in his stupid press release thing for his label then? Are you trying to tell me every piece of vinyl you own was cleared by that band? Don't be so naive. Once again not being naive, but it does not make it right

At least the dude is trying to do something. This is pretty fucking stupid logic. Everyone is trying to do something. Only difference is most people are doing something more worthwhile then releasing nostalgic records on vinyl. 311 didn't act like a bunch of bitches when they heard about this, Didn't they deny it was happening at first, because again the band had no idea this was happening and now all the sudden the record is already for sale. unlike this dude from NFG. And after his bitch reaction, ETR still won't press it? He could just as easily say 'fuck you I'm doing it anyway.'

I don't understand what part of his explanation of not wanting to do it without consent you are missing. He got permission to press the record BEFORE asking the band. End of story. He is in the wrong 100%. Put yourself in the shoes of any band member right now and you will understand how shitty this dude is being.

I'm sure plenty of records have been pressed without a band knowing it was going to happen. Labels that own the rights do shitty things like this for example the AFI, Taking Back Sunday, and Silverstein greatest hits albums. This does not make it right and should not be a defense. Even worse is someone licensing an album from a label that is going behind its bands. In this case it's a one-man show and all fingers are being pointed at him because he posts on this forum. Why does he say "we" in his stupid press release thing for his label then? Are you trying to tell me every piece of vinyl you own was cleared by that band? Don't be so naive. Once again not being naive, but it does not make it right

At least the dude is trying to do something. This is pretty fucking stupid logic. Everyone is trying to do something. Only difference is most people are doing something more worthwhile then releasing nostalgic records on vinyl. 311 didn't act like a bunch of bitches when they heard about this, Didn't they deny it was happening at first, because again the band had no idea this was happening and now all the sudden the record is already for sale. unlike this dude from NFG. And after his bitch reaction, ETR still won't press it? He could just as easily say 'fuck you I'm doing it anyway.'

the world ain't perfect. get over it.

Is his licensing idea the greatest idea in the world? no.. but he was obviously trying to get in touch with the band and the label at the same time. What band is going to give an unknown label a shot at re-pressing one of their old albums? ZERO. not one. So he took the incentive to go to the label, got the approval and then came back to the band to ACTUALLY SHOW THEM SOMETHING. Sometimes you gotta kick a few doors down to get things done. If everyone waited around for things to be "just right", nothing would ever get accomplished.

Frankly, to me it is 'about the vinyl' (for 311). This kid got it done and it probably would never have happened otherwise. So he made a few enemies, big fucking deal. The world isn't full of rainbows and unicorns like you guys all seem to think it is.

What band is going to give an unknown label a shot at re-pressing one of their old albums? ZERO. not one.

http://robbedthebank.storenvy.com/

http://youthconspiracyrecords.com/

http://brokenrimrecords.storenvy.com/

http://fatsandwich.storenvy.com/

http://store.mtsrecords.com/

:golf clap:

let me know when you find one with a band that more than 10 people know about.

you're right, dude. only 10 people know about that band called blink something or other. or the ataris.

Yeah, they are called bootlegs, which is essentially what these releases are. They may have been legally cleared with the major label's lawyers, but anyone who had anything to do with creating the album had zero say or input.

It's sad that having an album on vinyl for your collection is more important to you than respecting the band's wishes.

Yeah, they are called bootlegs, which is essentially what these releases are. They may have been legally cleared with the major label's lawyers, but anyone who had anything to do with creating the album had zero say or input.

It's sad that having an album on vinyl for your collection is more important to you than respecting the band's wishes.

Bootlegs? No.. a bootleg would have no consent from anyone and is usually not worth anyone's time. Getting legal approval is not the same thing.

I understand the reason to hate this situation, but the fact of the matter is, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Trent Reznor's old label still puts out shit without his approval, and his message is "disregard/ignore" etc -- which is fine, most people won't buy that copy, but guess what, plenty will. Thus, the cycle continues.

And why does everyone feel like we OWE it to the band? And I'm not talking about indie/underground bands or bands who's lead singers still hang out the merch booth during their own show. I'm talking about bands that have achieved a considerable level of success/fame/popularity etc. If attempts to contact them go unfulfilled, should the idea just end there? Should he have gone to their homes and knocked on their door? Waited outside their tour bus for a shot at 5 measly seconds to try to get their attention? Sponsored the CNN homepage for a day? This dude took the necessary measure to get something worth putting in front of the band to get their attention. In NFG's case, it backfired. In 311's case, the label lied to him (in saying they would clear with the band). Clearly he did not like whatever went on with the RxBandits so he made reasonable efforts to clear with the bands first this time around. As far as he knew in 311's case, he was good to go. Does Nick Hexum have to call this guy up himself in order for him to think he's all set? What exactly is OWED to these bands? It's not like a 3000-unit run of vinyl will have any sort of impact on a band. Common courtesy only gets you so far. "Honoring the band's wishes?" So you're saying a band "wishes" not to have something pressed on vinyl? Or their friend was unable to get it done so now they're pissed? What does that say about their friend and his label?

What do labels like this do when the run out of things to reissue? What was the first label to solely exist to re-release other records?

when they run out they run for cover. get it? I'm funny in a funny 311 thread.

I have an original band signed that I spent a ton of money on before i got involved in the vinyl re-issue thing. There debut album was produced by Brian Mcternan and they have been busting their ass on the road for the past 2 years. It took me 2 years and im still pretty far away from recouping but a larger label is stepping in to pick them up and release the next album on a joint venture thankfully. We are putting out their debut lp on vinyl in january. The entire album can be streaming at http://harvard.bandcamp.com/album/the-inevitable-and-i I also managed bands for a few years before opening the label. Its just really difficult making money breaking a new artist in this day and age.

You should really change your mission statement from that thing that says

"We are here to help propell bands from nobodies to the next big thing" etc etc etc.

That does not in the least bit, minutely describe what you do. Maybe change it to, we had one band, but we didn't make money, so now we licence stuff, and piss off bands.

You should really change your mission statement from that thing that says

"We are here to help propell bands from nobodies to the next big thing" etc etc etc.

That does not in the least bit, minutely describe what you do. Maybe change it to, we had one band, but we didn't make money, so now we licence stuff, and piss off bands.

will do

mts has "the age of quarrel" album. if you don't know about that album and the bands following you probably should look into it.