Everything about Fest is awesome except...

...that you could smoke inside venues. Its been banned in NYC since 2003. I know it sounds crazy and foreign to those who live in areas where you can smoke in bars and restaurants but for those that don't it makes a big difference in how people enjoy shows. I don't smoke or drink so yeah PBR gets thrown everywhere by assholes but it doesn't make me drunk. Cigarette smoke make people sick. It's disgusting. Gainesville or Florida itself should ban this, or Fest should have venues temporarily ban it. Just a thought.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the smoking sucked, the crowd surfing was far more annoying to me. Couldn't even begin to count how many shoes I took to the back of the head.

Definitely was copious amounts of crowd surfing. What I found annoying especially at The Venue (Florida Theater) was the amount of people in the middle of the set pushing their way through and knocking people down the stairs. One dude was elbowing my neck on the way down so I grabbed his hat and tossed it. Hope he never found it.

I think all of NY has that smoking ban. NYC just put up the biggest fuss while the rest of us went along with it. I wasn't 21 yet when the law went into effect, but I realized how much I love it when I lived in England and I'd come back from the pub or bar and just reek of stale cig smoke the next morning. It's awful and I'd spend the next morning sneezing a lot for some reason.

i smoke so i kinda enjoy the fact i can smoke inside a bar for once. but since i'm use to having to go smoke outside it wouldn't be a big deal anyway. i kinda like smoking outside anyway, away from crowded people. i like having my space.. and not going home smelling like smoke helps too.

no sense in whining about stage diving or crowd surfing.. shits not gonna go away. if you don't like it stay away from the front of the stage. but to tell you the truth, the stage diving at FEST is rather tame compared to what you see at CHAOS IN TEJAS.

I didn't go to Fest, but the most annoying thing to me was everyone at Fest tweeting about being at Fest, constantly.

i don't have twitter, so you didn't see it from me.. :P i didn't even make a facebook update more than once. and my update was about food.

but the place we stayed at was awesome.

no sense in whining about stage diving or crowd surfing.. shits not gonna go away. if you don't like it stay away from the front of the stage. but to tell you the truth, the stage diving at FEST is rather tame compared to what you see at CHAOS IN TEJAS.

I meant it as more of a surprise than a complaint, as I wasn't even that far up front for most of it.

For the most part, the smoking wasn't too bad. Someone had a cigar lit right up front during one of the shows I caught at the Florida Theater, which I thought was pretty funny. I don't smoke myself, and they ban it here in AZ, but it wasn't really too bad to deal with for 3 days. It's good to be home and finally have my nasal passages unclogged.

I meant it as more of a surprise than a complaint, as I wasn't even that far up front for most of it.

For the most part, the smoking wasn't too bad. Someone had a cigar lit right up front during one of the shows I caught at the Florida Theater, which I thought was pretty funny. I don't smoke myself, and they ban it here in AZ, but it wasn't really too bad to deal with for 3 days. It's good to be home and finally have my nasal passages unclogged.

i saw a dude smoking a cigar as well. wtf? yeah, the smoke in the venue wasn't nearly as bad as it's been other times. once i actually had to walk out.. but then again, there's something nicer about walking outside and smoking than inside a smoggy club. weird, i know.

I think all of NY has that smoking ban. NYC just put up the biggest fuss while the rest of us went along with it. I wasn't 21 yet when the law went into effect, but I realized how much I love it when I lived in England and I'd come back from the pub or bar and just reek of stale cig smoke the next morning. It's awful and I'd spend the next morning sneezing a lot for some reason.

You are correct but the NYC laws are stricter than the state ban.

One time i saw someone smoking weed at a show. Had to powerbomb him, but he got the message. i took one of the beers he had hidden in his backpack, too.

No, i didn't.

I am allergic to smoke and get horribly sick of I go to a show and there's smoking.

I echo the "smoking in venues is the fucking worst" sentiment. If you can't go a couple hours without it, you should probably seek help.

there is no such thing as an allergy to smoke. my girlfriend said the same thing and the doctor laughed at her. you're irritated by smoke and it lessens your immune system to other pollens and such in the air causing the reactions. its more a trigger, but not an allergy per se.

but by the other hand, if you can't handle smoke for a few hours you probably shouldn't go. it goes both ways, unfortunately, if you can legally smoke in a club then, people's arguments against it are moot. i personally like non-smoking clubs, but i also don't care when the clubs allow smoking too. if i can see the band live, that's all i care about.