Prometheus (Ridley Scott flick)

Definitely an entertaining movie, but surely a let-down if you go in expecting it to be the Alien prequel you really want it to be. The connection in the movie is very, very loose, but still fairly satisfying.

I also laughed quite a bit throughout the movie. Some parts of it are so unbelievably cheesy and tacky, but I wouldn't say it hurts the movie.

my thoughts exactly. it had been a while since i've seen any alien movies and i totally forgot that it was supposed to be a prequel so with that going into the movie made me like it a lot. i can see how lots of people would be disappointed if they expected a direct alien prequel. even on the wikipedia page it says that it was meant for the same alien universe but ultimately they were trying to do something different with it.

I enjoyed it a lot. and yeah there was definitely lots of cheesy parts.

I started Alien for the first time tonight. I've been meaning to see if for years but I never got around to it... To my surprise, I was disappointed and ended up turning it off just over halfway through... I just thought the first hour was kind of slow and made me tired and unwilling to continue on... Should I begin watching from where I left off tomorrow?

Did anyone else think that there was inconsistency to the pacing of the film? Some parts felt rushed while others were slooooooow. If that was supposed to add to some sort of tension build-up I didn't see it.

Totally. I was fine with the slower parts because most of the action felt so rushed. I thought everything after that gross ass C section scene went too fast. The movie should have been longer...it was only two hours. I just don't think you can make a movie about something as complicated as this and have it be so short. I'm talking LOTR length

I started Alien for the first time tonight. I've been meaning to see if for years but I never got around to it... To my surprise, I was disappointed and ended up turning it off just over halfway through... I just thought the first hour was kind of slow and made me tired and unwilling to continue on... Should I begin watching from where I left off tomorrow?

It was intentionally slow to build tension which just explodes at the end of the film. If you grew up not watching older films then I can see why you'd think it was boring. Movies just don't have that kind of pace anymore. Things just have to be action packed from minute one or the ADHD generation's attention span can be held.

On the topic of Prometheus I didn't didn't know how to feel about it once it was over. Once my friends and I talked about it for awhile the next morning I definitely felt satisfied with it. The special effects were amazing

The thing is, I did grow up watching old films. I love psycho (60s), the thing, jaws, bttf, and plenty more. I guess there was just so much hype with this movie from all around me that I didn't really see where it was coming from..

i feel ya, it makes sense though. Alien is a huge slow burn of a film that i think you should give another shot. the second half is where it really picks up though

Went to the midnight showing with zero knowledge (watched only one trailer) and no expectations other than the fact that I love Ridley Scott sci-fi and loved this. The only movie I've wanted to see more than once in theaters since Lord of the Rings.

Interesting breakdown of the film (contains spoilers):

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/uswn1/prometheus_everything_explained_and_analysed/

Saw this Friday night and I think I may have had unrealistic expectations going into it. I should have known better than to pay attention to all the hype and promotion. I'd probably give it a 3/5 maybe even a 3.5/5. The majority of my beef with the film is summed up quite nicely by the folks over @ the A.V. Club:

http://www.avclub.co...ometheus,79947/

Oh yeah, don't click on that link above unless you've seen the movie already. MAJOR spoilers!!!

For me it was a solid 9/10. I absolutely loved it.

This. Finally got a chance to see it yesterday and loved it. My expectations were set pretty high and I walked out totally satisfied.

I was definitely left with a few questions after though, but going through and reading that Reddit article breaking down some of the scenes it made more sense and answered the questions I had.