Shit on bands here

Grace was her mother's maiden name. Apparently things have never been that great with her dad, especially since the news of Laura coming out as transgender. According to an article I read awhile back, at least. 

Ah, thanks.  That's the part that didn't sit right with me.

That's like saying they are two different people!  Laura wrote the lyrics and Laura sang the songs.  There isn't even a need to be pedantic about it since her voice never changed.

I wonder if they repress one of the older albums if they will update Tom to Laura in the credits/liner notes.

You're right. I haven't listened to the new album (I'm not an Against Me! fan anyway), but I had assumed that her voice had changed, either due to hormones or of her own volition. 

I didn't mean to imply two different people - but like I said, if it were me, I would be identifying as a new person, not just that old Tom Gabel with a new name, and as a woman. I can understand if she would want people to use different pronouns to refer to the past, but I personally wouldn't.

I guess it is a matter of personal preference, or perhaps I am just pedantic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the point is that she has felt like a she the entire time.  It's not as if she woke up one day in 2012 and was like "oh I don't feel very much like a Tom anymore, I think I am a Laura."

The idea is that the person is the same as they always were internally, just now the external world can recognize her as a she.

I don't think you can say what your personal preferences would be as it isn't something you (or I) can really understand.

Ah, thanks.  That's the part that didn't sit right with me.

I wonder if they repress one of the older albums if they will update Tom to Laura in the credits/liner notes.

...and Fat Mike's Twitter response to the original news:

Oh, and Fat Wreck will be releasing a special edition of Against Me as the Maternal Cowgirl sometime next spring! :)

— Mike Burkett (@FatMike_of_NOFX) May 10, 2012

I think the point is that she has felt like a she the entire time.  It's not as if she woke up one day in 2012 and was like "oh I don't feel very much like a Tom anymore, I think I am a Laura."

The idea is that the person is the same as they always were internally, just now the external world can recognize her as a she.

I don't think you can say what your personal preferences would be as it isn't something you (or I) can really understand.

Fair enough. I really can't weigh in on it because I haven't experienced it.

...and Fat Mike's Twitter response to the original news:

Oh, and Fat Wreck will be releasing a special edition of Against Me as the Maternal Cowgirl sometime next spring! :)

— Mike Burkett (@FatMike_of_NOFX) May 10, 2012

I think Mike has been pretty good with the lighthearted jokes about the subject. He posted a picture on Instagram of him with Against Me! in the background, with a caption about how they got a "new chick singer."

i think that as long as someone isn't nefariously using the incorrect pronoun/name to refer to someone who is newly transgendered, there's no harm done. sometimes i legitimately do not know what to do/say, and i certainly don't mean to be offensive. in fact, sometimes i stress wayyyy too much over whether someone who is transgendered will take offensive over a mistake i may make.

I feel that stress too, a lot.  Especially because people can get a lot of shit for saying the wrong thing and not immediately understanding. When I don't know what pronoun to use, I usually just use the singular 'they'.

Which is totally the right way to go, or simply asking what pronoun someone would prefer.

I see at as the "he/she" argument is like arguing whether you should say black or African American. Even if one is the preferred title, neither is really malicious and life is too short to get hung up on technicalities.

Using "it" is like dropping an N bomb.

One most certainly is malicious. The father of my friend who is transitioning male-to-female always calls her by her male name and has a picture of her before she began transitioning as his cell phone background. It's been three years. He refuses to acknowledge her the way she wants to be/ should be. It is dangerous for people's mental health to go out of your way to not identify them the way they want. Anyone who can't treat someone the way they want to be treated is a fucking jerk. Is Laura an asshole too? Entirely, I'm not defending her. But this isn't just about Laura, being ignorant about her is being ignorant to all trans people. It has nothing to with being PC. It's about not hurting other people.

yo for real, what's with sports themed emo bands like: football etc, american football, ice hockey, modern baseball, you catch my drift

The band name trend that bugs me is taking a word, removing the vowels, putting in all caps, and calling it a name.

Except RVIVR. That band is the shit.

The band name trend that bugs me is taking a word, removing the vowels, putting in all caps, and calling it a name.

Except RVIVR. That band is the shit.

i think its very KVLT 2 do that

wait band name trend of putting "thee" instead of "The" as in "thee oh sees" "thee nodes" etc. it just makes me uncomfrotable like how do i pronounce your name is that right, idk

rvivr is kewl 2

• 3 weeks later...

Which is totally the right way to go, or simply asking what pronoun someone would prefer.

-"Hi, I'm Earl."

-"Oh hi Earl, My name is Sam"

-"Nice to meet you Sam. So, what pronoun do you prefer? And should I use that pronoun when referring to you in the past tense?"

It really is such a natural conversation. I echo Lebowski in saying life is too short to make a big deal about semantics.

I saw one of their last shows as The Hotel Year, never heard of them before, and thought they were pretty damn good.  I don't really follow hype bands ( I' am always late to the game ), but I thought they ruled!

Live shows vs. recordings is always rough, I've seen a lot of live bands who have their shit together and sound tight, but the recordings sound way different and I can't dig it

Bumping to say fuck the beatles.

I feel like hating the Beatles is the "cool indie" thing to do. 

"Yeah, American Football definitely had a bigger effect on modern music than the Beatles did... but you wouldn't know that."

It's tough to deny that the Beatles changed not only how music was recorded and produced but how people looked at music. I'm not a huge fan, but I have a few of their albums and I do like their later stuff enough to listen to it now and then. There's a reason that the Beatles will always be remembered, and a band like Modern Baseball for instance will not.