Shit on bands here

I don't want to turn this into a genre debate, but genres change. I mean, take ska.  1st wave ska sounds NOTHING like 3rd / 4th wave ska, and yet it's all ska in the end.  You get a bunch of 1/2nd wave ska fans (dorks hehe) who refuse to like 3rd or 4th wave ( except they ALWAYS like streetlight ) but in the end it's still ska music.

You can sit there arguing that mineral are emo but when you ask a huge percentage of the world to name an emo band, you know they're gonna say fallout boy or mcr or god knows what.

i guess what i'm tryna say is it doesn't fucking matter whether you think the band is pop punk or not because if all of their hundreds of thousands of fans are callin them pop punk, your little message board post won't do shit!

If you couldn't see a band opening up for the ramones, it's not pop punk (they invented the sound). A lot of the bands that claim to be pop punk (or their fans claim they are) are emo bands. Seems like no one wants to call themselves emo though because it has a sort of negative stigma.

Also find it funny people are ripping avenged sevenfold (rightfully) but seem to have listened to all their albums. I just would have expected to stop at one (if they even decided to buy that).

I'd really put this more on Descendents than Ramones. I've always categorized Ramones with the Clash and other first-wave punk bands, as "classic punk." Descendents, while definitely second-wave (or even third depending on who you ask, some people are anal about it), are the progenitors of pop-punk in my opinion. 

Also, nothing against you personally, but it is Ramones, not the Ramones. Like Talking Heads. People get anal about that too. 

Also, nothing against you personally, but it is Ramones, not the Ramones. Like Talking Heads. People get anal about that too. 

I really love listening to Talking Heads.  I also really love listening to Ramones.  I really love listening to The Talking Heads is wrong.  I really love listening to the Talking Heads, is okay.  According to the dictionary of google :)

the
T͟Hē,T͟Hə/
determiner
determiner: the
  1. 1.
    denoting one or more people or things already mentioned or assumed to be common knowledge.
    "what's the matter?"
    • used to refer to a person, place, or thing that is unique.
      "the Queen"
    • informal
      denoting a disease or affliction.
      "I've got the flu"
    • (with a unit of time) the present; the current.
      "dish of the day"
    • informal
      used instead of a possessive to refer to someone with whom the speaker or person addressed is associated.
      "I'm meeting the boss"
    • used with a surname to refer to a family or married couple.
      "the Johnsons were not wealthy"
    • used before the surname of the chief of a Scottish or Irish clan.
      "the O'Donoghue"

I really love listening to Talking Heads.  I also really love listening to Ramones.  I really love listening to The Talking Heads is wrong.  I really love listening to the Talking Heads, is okay.  According to the dictionary of google :)

the
T͟Hē,T͟Hə/
determiner
determiner: the
  1. 1.
    denoting one or more people or things already mentioned or assumed to be common knowledge.
    "what's the matter?"
    • used to refer to a person, place, or thing that is unique.
      "the Queen"
    • informal
      denoting a disease or affliction.
      "I've got the flu"
    • (with a unit of time) the present; the current.
      "dish of the day"
    • informal
      used instead of a possessive to refer to someone with whom the speaker or person addressed is associated.
      "I'm meeting the boss"
    • used with a surname to refer to a family or married couple.
      "the Johnsons were not wealthy"
    • used before the surname of the chief of a Scottish or Irish clan.
      "the O'Donoghue"

Well... huh.

Thank you, sir. 

Can you point to an article or something official that points to them being referred to as Ramones without the "the?"

I'll consider your point, but I've never heard the band mentioned without "the" in front of the name (ignoring the semantics of "the" versus "The")

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IbYS2qcwJvU

"Even opened up for the Ramones..."

Can you point to an article or something official that points to them being referred to as Ramones without the "the?"

I'll consider your point, but I've never heard the band mentioned without "the" in front of the name (ignoring the semantics of "the" versus "The")

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IbYS2qcwJvU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramones

Well, all of their album covers do say "Ramones" as opposed to "the Ramones." 

From a Google search, it looks like there are plenty of arguments both ways. But, like Talking Heads, it's my understanding that the band's preference was to be called Ramones and not the Ramones (or The Ramones). 

I personally hear "Ramones" more than I hear "the Ramones," for what it's worth. And I can understand saying "the Ramones" in your song lyrics, as "ever opened up for Ramones" wouldn't sound quite right.

if bomb the music industry! opened for the queers who opened for the ramones.......

following the law of equivalent exchange transitivity, than bomb the music industry opened for the ramones.

my ska band, knightsbridge fiasco, opened for BTMI once.  Therefore, http://knightsbridgefiasco.bandcamp.com/album/the-nights-we-remember is pop punk

I don't want to turn this into a genre debate, but genres change. I mean, take ska. 1st wave ska sounds NOTHING like 3rd / 4th wave ska, and yet it's all ska in the end. You get a bunch of 1/2nd wave ska fans (dorks hehe) who refuse to like 3rd or 4th wave ( except they ALWAYS like streetlight ) but in the end it's still ska music.

You can sit there arguing that mineral are emo but when you ask a huge percentage of the world to name an emo band, you know they're gonna say fallout boy or mcr or god knows what.

i guess what i'm tryna say is it doesn't fucking matter whether you think the band is pop punk or not because if all of their hundreds of thousands of fans are callin them pop punk, your little message board post won't do shit!

I get your point. I'm just sharing an opinion, not trying to start a revolution.

However, there is a large difference between the situation you describe and the one I bring up. The ska community is mostly heterogeneous in what they define is ska, even if they want to subdivide it further into waves and say some are better than others. The term pop-punk does not have anywhere near that level of consistent definition. I don't really see it as a good comparison.

I get your point. I'm just sharing an opinion, not trying to start a revolution.

However, there is a large difference between the situation you describe and the one I bring up. The ska community is mostly heterogeneous in what they define is ska, even if they want to subdivide it further into waves and say some are better than others. The term pop-punk does not have anywhere near that level of consistent definition. I don't really see it as a good comparison.

Since pop punk doesn't have consistent definition, then both ramones and wonder years are pop punk ??

Since pop punk doesn't have consistent definition, then both ramones and wonder years are pop punk ??

I don't really know the wonder years but we've circled back to my original post -- if you can see a band opening for Ramones, they are pop-punk.

That's a consistent definition. There's just a lot of people/bands that abuse the term.