Bands you like despite douche members

I have seen Jon (singer, whatever his name is) at quite a few shows in Philadelphia. Dude is NEVER nice at all to anyone who goes up to him or even says anything as they walk by him. I'm not really a fan of theirs anyway, so I don't care, but it isn't just you.

Yeah I've seen them 3 times and even got the whole band to sign my vinyl and they have always been super cool genuine dudes especially Jon. I'm sure you got the wrong idea

I want to tell a story cause I can.

I don't know if they are that popular on these boards but still I want to tell it.

My friends and I were a huge fan of Cerce; and one of them booked them for a show. After the show the bands crashed at his house, and some kids from the group went to his house to hang out. Well apparently the vocalist was really tired and didn't feel well (and did mention that on stage at the show) and just wanted to sleep. So now all the local kids shit talk on her for "being a bitch and just going to sleep". 

When they announced she left the band, some of them (kids not even at the house) posted up some really mean things directed at her.

It all really bums me out cause she was super nice and their attitude reflects badly.

I still love them! 

Yeah that whole shit with Cerce is goddamn ridiculous. Love the band, and have lots of mutual friends and rthey seem like great people. Everyone is so angry about Becca not being in Cerce anymore, and i think its stupid. Like, these are people in a band, they have real lives outside of music,...
It's like, people have such a sense of entitlement about bands and act like they own them.

so annoying.

Agree with the newer hardcore bands being snobby. I understand to some extent why the members of Sleeping with Sirens are rude (the magnitude of how people act over Kellin Quinn is ridiculous), but when people are acknowledging the other band mates - at least be nice to the people who know who you are and appreciate your music.

Never Shout Never are pretty annoying as hell too. I get that Christofer Drew used to have a drug problem - but he acts like an entitled dick most of the time. And of course there is Ronnie Radke...

I wouldn't call any of these bands hardcore.

When I was a super Christian Ska kid Matt Morginsky from the supertones was the worlds biggest tool bag to me and my friends. I hate that band though now so it doesn't count. 

Still love the shit out of five iron frenzy though and some of the nicest people I've met. 

Matt was always a dick. Glad I don't like them any more too. FIF are the nicest people ever. Reese can be a little stand offish, but he is really nice and Jeff the Girl is hot.

Since were all telling our stories

Idk why but I've had some bad experiences with some usually awesome dudes

I had Anthony from bayside call me an asshole and give me the finger on stage when I left their show early (my ride had to go). This was a long time ago, beatz was still with them. But he was pissed. I planned on writing them off but a few weeks the accident happened and I guess I felt bad so I came back to show my support. I've met them numerous times since then but I've never brought it up before, I wonder if they'd remember.

Now The guitarist from boys night out HATES me, I have no idea why tho. They've slept over, I've smoked them out countless times, made them food, but he always just brushed me off like I wasn't important or an overly excited fan. He'd always whip out his game boy every time I tried to start a conversation. But everyone else have always been awesome so I guess I didn't care

Same with the singer from fallen from the sky, except most of those guys can go f themselves for all I care. Idk if they're even a band anymore.

Worst had to be evergreen terrace, they're home town boys and I've been front row center from 2001-2009 at EVERY home show, never missed one. I'm in their live DVD signing and they've met me before but every time I see them and say hi it's total cold shoulder, ill get a head nod if I'm lucky. But I stopped caring long ago. I was offended at that point.

My favorite is when I went to say hi to the guys from motion city soundtrack, a really wasted singer from all America reject walked up and asked me who I came to see, I said mcs with the band right next to me, he then begins to go on a tirade about how no one gives his band any love bc they arnt punk enough while he pisses on a random cars tire, ignoring the two girls there trying to get a pic. I asked for a pity autograph and made up the excuse that I figured they were too big since they're debut was on MTV. He got really happy and gave me a hug and stumbled away. We laughed for a good ten minutes and was told hed been acting this way the whole tour bc MCS was getting way more love and all they were getting was pre teen girl attention.

story time...

It's really not that long of a story. We play guitar and like talking about gear. We had some questions about some of the gear they used on a random Norma Jean album. My friend said something about his amp, and the guitarist look at us and said in a semi-loud voice: "whoever it is that says that is an idiot, this amp is kick ass!" Then just turns his back and ignores us. So we were like "okaaaayyyy" and walked off. The Chariot was much nicer to us, haha. 

The thing is is that my friend nor I said nothing worthy of a rebuking of that caliber. That always just kind of stuck with me.

super interested to hear more about this.

nope. 

Agree with the newer hardcore bands being snobby. I understand to some extent why the members of Sleeping with Sirens are rude (the magnitude of how people act over Kellin Quinn is ridiculous), but when people are acknowledging the other band mates - at least be nice to the people who know who you are and appreciate your music.

Never Shout Never are pretty annoying as hell too. I get that Christofer Drew used to have a drug problem - but he acts like an entitled dick most of the time. And of course there is Ronnie Radke...

Chris acts like that because he's never had to work to get where he is.  what I mean is that he had mgmt and record deals before he played his first show outside of missouri.  I booked him/NSN on their first headline tour ever, had over 600+ 12 year old girls show up.  he never had to work like most pop punk/pop/folk artists work to get a fanbase, he posted songs on myspace, looked cute, and sold his image.  incredibly nice kid from when I worked with him, but he acts the way you described because he's never known anything but success.

Since were all telling our stories

Idk why but I've had some bad experiences with some usually awesome dudes

I had Anthony from bayside call me an asshole and give me the finger on stage when I left their show early (my ride had to go). This was a long time ago, beatz was still with them. But he was pissed. I planned on writing them off but a few weeks the accident happened and I guess I felt bad so I came back to show my support. I've met them numerous times since then but I've never brought it up before, I wonder if they'd remember.

Now The guitarist from boys night out HATES me, I have no idea why tho. They've slept over, I've smoked them out countless times, made them food, but he always just brushed me off like I wasn't important or an overly excited fan. He'd always whip out his game boy every time I tried to start a conversation. But everyone else have always been awesome so I guess I didn't care

Same with the singer from fallen from the sky, except most of those guys can go f themselves for all I care. Idk if they're even a band anymore.

Worst had to be evergreen terrace, they're home town boys and I've been front row center from 2001-2009 at EVERY home show, never missed one. I'm in their live DVD signing and they've met me before but every time I see them and say hi it's total cold shoulder, ill get a head nod if I'm lucky. But I stopped caring long ago. I was offended at that point.

My favorite is when I went to say hi to the guys from motion city soundtrack, a really wasted singer from all America reject walked up and asked me who I came to see, I said mcs with the band right next to me, he then begins to go on a tirade about how no one gives his band any love bc they arnt punk enough while he pisses on a random cars tire, ignoring the two girls there trying to get a pic. I asked for a pity autograph and made up the excuse that I figured they were too big since they're debut was on MTV. He got really happy and gave me a hug and stumbled away. We laughed for a good ten minutes and was told hed been acting this way the whole tour bc MCS was getting way more love and all they were getting was pre teen girl attention.

fuck motion city soundtrack.  booked a couple shows with them, the 2nd of which they ended up cancelling about a week out from the date to play some huge college show on Long Island for a ton of money.  I told the agent thats fine, they had to make it up, and we were going to figure it out for one of their next couple tours.  day of the show comes, the rest of the bands show up and load in (Zolof & R&R Destroyer, some band from minneapolis, and a local).  the sound guy asked me where MCS was at, so I told him the story (sound guy is someone I grew up with, went to shows with, told him pretty much everything, he handled the money for the venue at that time, too).  as I told him this, the touring bands were walking past.  I put a sign up at the door saying MCS had to cancel (i had already sent an email out earlier in the week) due to another obligation by mgmt and they would be back in the spring time.  kids asked me what it was at the door, but I told them nothing other than they couldnt make it.  fast forward about... 2 months... I get a phone call from their agent, and im thinking "cool, this is great, we'll get the new date settled".  I answer say hello ____, how are you doing? 

the agent goes... "mike, we've got a problem.  whats this I hear you were telling everyone at the show that MCS didnt play Erie because they were getting paid $10k to play a college show?  the band is pissed, man, who does that?  not cool".  I dont think ive ever been more pissed off...

I told him "____, I dont know what you're tlaking about, I never told anyone why MCS cancelled, I said they had another obligation, but I never said what or where.  who told you that?" 

agent - "the band did, man, they called me up the next day (2 MONTHS AGO!) pissed off, they told me they never want to work with you again". 

me- "first off, what the hell man?  I didnt tell anyone at the show.  the only person I told was the sound guy because he handles the money at the venue, but that was hours before doors opened, and no one was around.  I dont know what you're talking about man."

agent - "Mike, it was one of the bands on tour, they said they heard you tell fans at the show why MCS didnt show up". 

at this point I am fucking pissed.  I knew exactly what band said it, the band from MN was good friends with MCS, they walked past me when I told the sound guy, and they didnt like me at the show because the turnout sucked because I had already told everyone MCS wasnt showing up earlier in the week.  so I told him

me - "whatever dude, clearly youve already made up your mind, its my word against theirs, your interests lie with the band, so why would you ever believe me?  they dont want to come back?  fine, whatever dude, but im not lying to you, and screw them for waiting TWO MONTHS to bring this up.  i didnt have any shows for three weeks after that, if it was such a huge issue you or the bands should have called me instead of forgetting or being cowards about it until now.  its not my loss to not work with them anymore, if they change their minds feel free to let me know.  see ya."

and I hung up.  that agent emailed me a couple years later for some other bands he worked with and I told him "nah man, why would I book your bands, they'll probably just complain to you months later".  never heard frmo him again.  Clearly it was no big deal, I am/was small potatos in the realm of promoters, but I never forget bands who try to fuck me over/fuck my name.

I knew exactly what band said it, the band from MN was good friends with MCS, they walked past me when I told the sound guy, and they didnt like me at the show because the turnout sucked because I had already told everyone MCS wasnt showing up earlier in the week. 

I'm gonna guess Small Towns Burn A Little Slower?

If Charles Manson's music was any good, I would listen to it. Zero fucks given about an artist's personality or whatever. Art stands on its own.

It's really not that long of a story. We play guitar and like talking about gear. We had some questions about some of the gear they used on a random Norma Jean album. My friend said something about his amp, and the guitarist look at us and said in a semi-loud voice: "whoever it is that says that is an idiot, this amp is kick ass!" Then just turns his back and ignores us. So we were like "okaaaayyyy" and walked off. The Chariot was much nicer to us, haha. 

The thing is is that my friend nor I said nothing worthy of a rebuking of that caliber. That always just kind of stuck with me.

Obviously you'd have to be there, but this just sounds like misplaced/misunderstood sarcasm.

One time this one band played a show that I thought fucking sucked but they were all like "Nuh uh" and I was all like "Yah huh" and then we fucking killed each other. I still like their music even though I'm dead.

This whole thing is about perspective.  I know people in bands who are cool to me, but are famous assholes.  I know people in bands who are assholes yet everyone thinks they walk on water. 

That being said, I don't like the band Iron Lung, but their drummer can suck it.  The singer from Tragedy, too.

When Coheed was touring for their first album on Equal Vision, the night they played Detroit there was a huge snowstorm. They played in this little basement venue called The Shelter, and we ended up hanging out for a bit and talking to Claudio Sanchez. He was a super nice dude that wanted to talk about the Indiana Jones video game (which was new at the time). The whole band were cool dudes all around. A couple years later, they played at what ended up being the only Warped Tour I ever went too. Claudio had an armload of stuff, wasn't really watching where he was going, and ran right into my wife. He was like, "oh my god, I'm so so sorry. Oh hey! How are you guys doing? Are you having fun?"

Then, somewhere in between there, it seems like the dude just turned into a giant asshole. Everyone I've ever heard of that met him after that third record or so just says he's a tool now.

So...I missed the point of this thread. Sometimes cool dudes become douchebag band members.

this is going to be off the top of my head as I havent organized any of my show information from 2007 - 2011... I didnt run into shitty people until 2007, really.  one or two instances, one being with Unearth in 2005? 06?  the few times it happened prior to 07 were usually metal bands coming off huge summer tours and expecting shows in Erie, PA to have a whole production crew, when, almost 9 times out of 10, it was just me running everything, and a sound guy...  and it wasnt always band members, it was usually crew (stage mgr, tour mgr, sound tech, merch person) but after 2007, the following 5 worst bands would have to be...

Trapped Under Ice

Dance Gavin Dance

Drop Dead Gorgeous

Attack Attack

Brokencyde

just so happened, four of the five bands all played within a span of two months... worst moment in the history of shows I ever booked... but at the same time, made up for every cent I lost on terror/maximum penalty I did a month prior in the middle of a blizzard...

One of my best friends was in DDG. Wondering what happened that made them get on that list haha