Bands you like despite douche members

Listening to Face To Face "How To Ruin Everything" right now and goddamn I love this band even though Trevor Keith has sometimes been labelled a rockstar douche. I never met him so I wouldn't know. I have their DVD too which doesn't necessarily squash that label (although DVD 2's performance is fantastic.) Was wondering if anyone else has a band they feel this way about and wanted to share. Thoughts?

In person Trever is a really nice guy, I just think he tends to come off pompous on the camera.  

My son and I met him back in April before a Face to Face show in Tucson.  I'm in the military and had just got back from a year in Korea and was taking my son to his first concert.  Trever and the band went out of their way to meet us, autograph one of my records and gave us a few t-shirts. 

If anyone knows who Bradley Hathaway is I have a couple alright stories; him and I do not get along, at all. We have mutual friends so I used to end up hanging out with him, until I couldn't handle being around homeboy anymore.

Wow that name is a blast from the past. I had one of his books back in high school. I wonder what happened to him.

In person Trever is a really nice guy, I just think he tends to come off pompous on the camera.  

My son and I met him back in April before a Face to Face show in Tucson.  I'm in the military and had just got back from a year in Korea and was taking my son to his first concert.  Trever and the band went out of their way to meet us, autograph one of my records and gave us a few t-shirts. 

Actually good to know. I really do love this band.

When Coheed was touring for their first album on Equal Vision, the night they played Detroit there was a huge snowstorm. They played in this little basement venue called The Shelter, and we ended up hanging out for a bit and talking to Claudio Sanchez. He was a super nice dude that wanted to talk about the Indiana Jones video game (which was new at the time). The whole band were cool dudes all around. A couple years later, they played at what ended up being the only Warped Tour I ever went too. Claudio had an armload of stuff, wasn't really watching where he was going, and ran right into my wife. He was like, "oh my god, I'm so so sorry. Oh hey! How are you guys doing? Are you having fun?"

Then, somewhere in between there, it seems like the dude just turned into a giant asshole. Everyone I've ever heard of that met him after that third record or so just says he's a tool now.

So...I missed the point of this thread. Sometimes cool dudes become douchebag band members.

holy shit, one of my bands first shows was at that venue.  played with our friends problem solver revolver, no one was at the show, no surprise, but man, driving to the place we stayed at afterwards is a story I tell alll the time.  

Didn't read thru 8 pages so not sure if anyone mentioned meeting the Deftones. They're one of my all time favorite bands and I've met them maybe 3 times or so. I can say that they're all cool dudes & Chi was the nicest. As for Steph, he is the biggest dick and always had an attitude. I've met many bands and come across a lot of cool dudes, but I no longer attempt to meet musicians b/c when their dick's, it changes my perception of the band.

Yeah, I hear ya. I've had that experience. Last band members I went out of my way to talk to were Pete Adams and John Dyer Baizley from Baroness, and being super cool dudes only reinforced my high opinion of the band. But when band members are stupid dicks, it can kind of sour you on them.

Yeah, I hear ya. I've had that experience. Last band members I went out of my way to talk to were Pete Adams and John Dyer Baizley from Baroness, and being super cool dudes only reinforced my high opinion of the band. But when band members are stupid dicks, it can kind of sour you on them.

I agree completely

If anyone knows who Bradley Hathaway is I have a couple alright stories; him and I do not get along, at all. We have mutual friends so I used to end up hanging out with him, until I couldn't handle being around homeboy anymore.

definitely interested to hear this.

also, to who asked what he was doing now, after that book/cd he started playing music instead. last thing I saw released from him was like 2 or so years ago though, so im not sure what hes doing now.

Steve Soboslai from Punchline brought up a good point on Matt Pyror's Nothing To Write Home About podcast in that touring kicks your ass and that you're not always in a great/friendly mood so it's not intentional most of time. I tend to agree because I never really liked touring when I was playing music full-time, although this is on a person-to-person basis. Some people are just assholes.

http://www.ntwha.com/episode-036-steve-soboslai/

Since were all telling our stories

Idk why but I've had some bad experiences with some usually awesome dudes

I had Anthony from bayside call me an asshole and give me the finger on stage when I left their show early (my ride had to go). This was a long time ago, beatz was still with them. But he was pissed. I planned on writing them off but a few weeks the accident happened and I guess I felt bad so I came back to show my support. I've met them numerous times since then but I've never brought it up before, I wonder if they'd remember.

Now The guitarist from boys night out HATES me, I have no idea why tho. They've slept over, I've smoked them out countless times, made them food, but he always just brushed me off like I wasn't important or an overly excited fan. He'd always whip out his game boy every time I tried to start a conversation. But everyone else have always been awesome so I guess I didn't care

Same with the singer from fallen from the sky, except most of those guys can go f themselves for all I care. Idk if they're even a band anymore.

Worst had to be evergreen terrace, they're home town boys and I've been front row center from 2001-2009 at EVERY home show, never missed one. I'm in their live DVD signing and they've met me before but every time I see them and say hi it's total cold shoulder, ill get a head nod if I'm lucky. But I stopped caring long ago. I was offended at that point.

My favorite is when I went to say hi to the guys from motion city soundtrack, a really wasted singer from all America reject walked up and asked me who I came to see, I said mcs with the band right next to me, he then begins to go on a tirade about how no one gives his band any love bc they arnt punk enough while he pisses on a random cars tire, ignoring the two girls there trying to get a pic. I asked for a pity autograph and made up the excuse that I figured they were too big since they're debut was on MTV. He got really happy and gave me a hug and stumbled away. We laughed for a good ten minutes and was told hed been acting this way the whole tour bc MCS was getting way more love and all they were getting was pre teen girl attention.

I've known the guys in fallen from the sky for over ten years, some of the members are some of my best friends, they are always super friendly and awesome people to be around, I can't imagine anyone having a bad experience with them, ryan the singer is a stand up guy

• 1 month later...

Couple things:

Parker from TSSF yelled and cussed at my fiancé because he thought she was trying to steal his pizza. She's over it, kind of funny looking back.

I talked to Jon from B&C a while back, during their tour with PBC and MDAM, and he talked to me and my fiancée for a while and was even cool enough to take a picture with her. Seemed like a cool dude, but that was 2 years ago.

Mixed reactions with ETID. Andy was real cool, Keith was a jerk though. I was younger, and asked to take a picture with each of them at different points in the night. Andy was really cool and really appreciative, while Keith seemed really bothered with me.

Overall though, I've had really good experiences with a lot of bands. Touche amore and pianos become the teeth are very nice and appreciative. Dave from fireworks was an awesome guy. Matty from AL4W was also a pleasure to talk to. Hostage calm might be the nicest band I've ever spoken with, especially Cmar.

Also, the guitarist from the chariot (he's black, not sure what his name is) is a great guy. During one show, he jumped into the crowd while playing, and my friend and I pushed him back up on stage. Apparently our adrenaline was running pretty high, and he busted up his face right above his eye on his amp when we pushed him back on stage. We felt really bad, so we went and apologized to him afterwards, and he shrugged it off like it was nothing, just a part of playing the show.

holy shit, one of my bands first shows was at that venue. played with our friends problem solver revolver, no one was at the show, no surprise, but man, driving to the place we stayed at afterwards is a story I tell alll the time.

Then tell the story!

I only tell it because it was probably the most terrifying 15 minute drive in my life.  I honestly dont remember what street/road we drove on, but we stayed at some apartment/dorm complex down near where The Magicstick is at, and we drove through some projects in the middle of the night, every intersection at one point had two or three check cashing/liquor stores at the corner, with a car parked over the corner with people milling around it eying a 1992 red ford tempo with a bunch of white kids at every red light.  probably had nothing to worry about, but at that time we were freaked the fuck out. 

Is this just a band encounters thread now?

I waited in line twice at a Tenacious D meet & greet in 2001 to get my photo taken. There was a "no photo" policy but their label guy said if I wanted to wait in line again to try, I could. The whole event was kind of cold and shitty, shuffling through people as fast as they could. Each person had about 5 seconds to say hi and got moved along. 

In the end, I was able to go back, crouch down in front of the table where they were signing and get my pic taken in front of them. Got my film developed (yep, film) and had a pic of Jack Black behind me flipping me off. I never really thought of it as a dick move, always laughed about it. Met Kyle outside of that and he was really nice.

Chris and Nate from Foo Fighters were awesome, Tony Sly was cool as hell, Davey Havok cried in front of my friends and I at a Danzig show, Midtown dudes were cool, NFG was always cool, Evan Weiss is always the man, Jon and Erik from B&C were cool, but quiet and humble dudes, Chris from Mansions was super nice...

There's countless other encounters I've had, can't say I've ever had one where I've been left with a bad taste in my mouth. Chris Carraba (sp) wouldn't come out and meet people after the Vagrant show I was at, but that's his choice. 

Not really negative, but funny:

I saw Drowningman break up at Monsterfest. Didn't know what was happening at the time, but they were scheduled to play and a bunch of us were standing outside when some commotion erupted. One dude from the band was saying stuff to another dude, can't remember exactly, but something along the lines of 'Why don't you go and see your drug dealer?' Then they ended up not playing the fest.

And a nice story:

I saw Don Cab live once and Damon Che was hanging out before the show... it's not uncommon for me to approach dudes in bands just to shoot the shit a little, or whatever. But with Damon I was a little intimidated, not only cause of his skills, but mostly stuff I'd read online. Then after the show he was hanging out again and looked kinda bored. I'd already said 'congrats on a great set' to the other 2 dudes and I figured, 'what the hell' and walked up to say 'Hi.' He shook my hand very firmly and was super nice. I had bought an album on vinyl and was carrying it with me and when he noticed I was holding it he was stoked. He asked 'Did you get it on black or colour?' 'Black' I said, he was like 'Yeah, good, remember its 45rpm, disco beats, disco beats.' He gave me one of his drumsticks and signed it.