Bands you like despite douche members

Joey Cape is kind of a dick. Kind of.

I met him once and we asked to take a picture. He let us do it, but was kind of like "Dude, why would you want one?" He wasn't being total dick, but definitely registered a little bit on the scale of dick-itude.

i ran into joey cape at a lawrence arms show some time before the playing favorites record came out. chatted with him a little bit, and he was super nice. one of the nicer musicians i've ever met.

i showed up at a paint it black show super early and was just sort of standing around by myself. dan yemin came up to me and introduced himself and we talked a bit. great guy.

All That Remains

Even though I don't like them any more, back when I did listen to them they were douchey. Mainly Oli. One time when I saw them I went to grab some merch from them and Oli was working the merch table. Bought a t-shirt that was $25 handed him two $20s. He handed me my shirt and turned his back to me. So I had to reach over the table and grab him and tell him he owed me $15. He said I don't know what you're talking about. I said I gave you 2 $20's you owe me $15. After a minute he gave me $15 and told me to piss off.

Right then I should have stopped listening to them, but I kept on listening to them. About a year later went to see them again and the same shit happened. This time it was the drummer of the moment they had in the band. That time it was over $10.

In all the years I've gone to shows I've never had a band try to rip off a fan like that before.

All That Remains

Even though I don't like them any more, back when I did listen to them they were douchey. Mainly Oli. One time when I saw them I went to grab some merch from them and Oli was working the merch table. Bought a t-shirt that was $25 handed him two $20s. He handed me my shirt and turned his back to me. So I had to reach over the table and grab him and tell him he owed me $15. He said I don't know what you're talking about. I said I gave you 2 $20's you owe me $15. After a minute he gave me $15 and told me to piss off.

Right then I should have stopped listening to them, but I kept on listening to them. About a year later went to see them again and the same shit happened. This time it was the drummer of the moment they had in the band. That time it was over $10.

In all the years I've gone to shows I've never had a band try to rip off a fan like that before.

$25 for a shirt of some overhyped bar band? that should have been your first sign of getting ripped off. sorry to hear that it happened 2 other times though.

• 1 year later...

Bump because I saw Face To Face last night. Great time. This thread popped in my head.

Dan Yemin is a sweetheart. My two cents.

I'm seeing them Saturday. How many songs did they play from the last two albums? When I saw them on the Laugh Now tour, I they played about 4-5 songs from that album. Total guess, but I've been thinking they'll probably play 4-5 from the new album and next to nothing from Laugh Now...

4 songs total from the last two albums

Bright Lights Go Down

1-2-3 Drop

Right As Rain

Should Anything Go Wrong

There was one other song I didn't know. Not sure if it was on Laugh Now, a cover, or some song I habitually skip. The new songs sound better live than they did on the new record but still are kinda meh.

The rest of the setlist was the "hits" and they played with a lot of energy like usual so it was a good time.

4 songs total from the last two albums

Bright Lights Go Down

1-2-3 Drop

Right As Rain

Should Anything Go Wrong

There was one other song I didn't know. Not sure if it was on Laugh Now, a cover, or some song I habitually skip. The new songs sound better live than they did on the new record but still are kinda meh.

The rest of the setlist was the "hits" and they played with a lot of energy like usual so it was a good time.

Thanks for the info. The fewer songs from the new album, the better.

probably 50% of the bands I booked during the final 2 - 3 years of shows were AWFUL people.  made me a good chunk of change (to lose on shows I actually cared about) but it got to a point where it was no longer worth it, subjecting myself to be around complete tools.  I could compile a list, but I doubt it would surprise anyone.

The last interview I read with Brian Fallon, he was absolutely embarrassing himself talking about Gaslight being "the last great r&b band" or something like that. Ooof.

I met glassjaw once. They were dicks.

I also met Claudio Sanchez a few times WAAAAY back, and he was the nicest dude. Then I guess fame happened? Something. I never met him after that but every account I've heard, and how he carries himself, suggest he's not that cool of a dude anymore. Which is fine, as I've been progressively less interested in that band since their second record.

Getting there with Brian Fallon, even though I am still an absolute fanboy of his music.

I just don't listen to him being interviewed anymore.

I saw this thread and came in here to post almost exactly this. Weird. 

I was watching a Revival Tour video the other day with Chuck, Brian, Dan Andriano and Dave Hause. The other three went on, played their set and made small talk here and there. And then Brian went on. He talked through most of his set, made unfunny jokes and broke dance at one point(laid on the ground and rolled around). It was uncomfortable to watch. 

But the dude makes great music. 

I saw this thread and came in here to post almost exactly this. Weird. 

I was watching a Revival Tour video the other day with Chuck, Brian, Dan Andriano and Dave Hause. The other three went on, played their set and made small talk here and there. And then Brian went on. He talked through most of his set, made unfunny jokes and broke dance at one point(laid on the ground and rolled around). It was uncomfortable to watch. 

But the dude makes great music. 

It also bugs me that when Gaslight was an indie band, he wrote songs about Joe Strummer and talked about the Replacements. Yeah, there has always been stuff like Bruce and Dylan. But seems like since they went to the major, he's been doing things like tweeting out Soundgarden lyrics. You don't have to be typecast and can listen to stuff from all genres. Not suggesting that. Just see a shift in his references / covers / whatever away from indie music (who's scene got the band to where it is now) to jock rock alternative.

Then he gets some of the blame for the fan club shittiness.

And then yeah, just the general tone of his interviews has gone from humble to snobby.

probably 50% of the bands I booked during the final 2 - 3 years of shows were AWFUL people. made me a good chunk of change (to lose on shows I actually cared about) but it got to a point where it was no longer worth it, subjecting myself to be around complete tools. I could compile a list, but I doubt it would surprise anyone.

How about just the top 5 worst?

Anytime I've ever met a band and they were douchebags I can't bring myself to enjoy their music anymore.

I played a show with Joshua Radin, who I loved prior, and he spent the evening drunkenly hitting on my wife. I had words with him, and haven't listened to a song by him since.

I never liked He is Legend, but I respected the band until we played some shows with them and they all acted like a bunch of arrogant rock stars. Same goes for a bulk of the bands I shared shows with on the Solid State roster.

Anytime I've ever met a band and they were douchebags I can't bring myself to enjoy their music anymore.

I played a show with Joshua Radin, who I loved prior, and he spent the evening drunkenly hitting on my wife. I had words with him, and haven't listened to a song by him since.

I never liked He is Legend, but I respected the band until we played some shows with them and they all acted like a bunch of arrogant rock stars. Same goes for a bulk of the bands I shared shows with on the Solid State roster.

I think the difference here is personal experience.  If I personally encountered someone in  a band and they turned out to be a douche I wouldn't be able to listen to them any more.  If they just seem to be a tool on the interwebs... whatever.

How about just the top 5 worst?

this is going to be off the top of my head as I havent organized any of my show information from 2007 - 2011... I didnt run into shitty people until 2007, really.  one or two instances, one being with Unearth in 2005? 06?  the few times it happened prior to 07 were usually metal bands coming off huge summer tours and expecting shows in Erie, PA to have a whole production crew, when, almost 9 times out of 10, it was just me running everything, and a sound guy...  and it wasnt always band members, it was usually crew (stage mgr, tour mgr, sound tech, merch person) but after 2007, the following 5 worst bands would have to be...

Trapped Under Ice

Dance Gavin Dance

Drop Dead Gorgeous

Attack Attack

Brokencyde

just so happened, four of the five bands all played within a span of two months... worst moment in the history of shows I ever booked... but at the same time, made up for every cent I lost on terror/maximum penalty I did a month prior in the middle of a blizzard...