Bands you like despite douche members

this is going to be off the top of my head as I havent organized any of my show information from 2007 - 2011... I didnt run into shitty people until 2007, really.  one or two instances, one being with Unearth in 2005? 06?  the few times it happened prior to 07 were usually metal bands coming off huge summer tours and expecting shows in Erie, PA to have a whole production crew, when, almost 9 times out of 10, it was just me running everything, and a sound guy...  and it wasnt always band members, it was usually crew (stage mgr, tour mgr, sound tech, merch person) but after 2007, the following 5 worst bands would have to be...

Trapped Under Ice

Dance Gavin Dance

Drop Dead Gorgeous

Attack Attack

Brokencyde

just so happened, four of the five bands all played within a span of two months... worst moment in the history of shows I ever booked... but at the same time, made up for every cent I lost on terror/maximum penalty I did a month prior in the middle of a blizzard...

I hate to pry, but do you remember any specific instances with all of the above?

P.S.- sorry for having to endure the actual "music"

this is going to be off the top of my head as I havent organized any of my show information from 2007 - 2011... I didnt run into shitty people until 2007, really.  one or two instances, one being with Unearth in 2005? 06?  the few times it happened prior to 07 were usually metal bands coming off huge summer tours and expecting shows in Erie, PA to have a whole production crew, when, almost 9 times out of 10, it was just me running everything, and a sound guy...  and it wasnt always band members, it was usually crew (stage mgr, tour mgr, sound tech, merch person) but after 2007, the following 5 worst bands would have to be...

Trapped Under Ice

Dance Gavin Dance

Drop Dead Gorgeous

Attack Attack

Brokencyde

just so happened, four of the five bands all played within a span of two months... worst moment in the history of shows I ever booked... but at the same time, made up for every cent I lost on terror/maximum penalty I did a month prior in the middle of a blizzard...

I know you're naming the worst to deal with, but that could easily double as a list of the worst bands in the world. 

You had to sit through that?

I know you're naming the worst to deal with, but that could easily double as a list of the worst bands in the world. 

You had to sit through that?

when you're a small time promoter in a C/D market, sometimes you take what you can get...

I hate to pry, but do you remember any specific instances with all of the above?

P.S.- sorry for having to endure the actual "music"

I remember specific instances with all of them.  but its better that I just not talk about the instances.

Mike's told the Brokencyde story on the board before. Something about how they just sat in their RV all night long and were weird to everyone, so at the end of the night he paid their guarantee in all $1 bills.

Maybe he as an axe to grind? I've seen their music videos in some other threads and they seem totally relatable. And fun.

fuck that band, they were awful.  they showed up 5 hours late from load in, and 1 hour after doors opened.  they walked in, and I am not exaggerating when I say they walked in with their arms around 15 year old girls who come to my shows regularly back then, said "we want to play next" (which was second out of five, they were billed four of five), I said "why?" they said "we have to drive back to boston, our lights guy has a court hearing in the morning (he punched a security guard, or a cop? after the show outside the venue), so we want to play second, get paid, and hit the road" (exact words).  I told them "you want to play second, you get paid like you're playing second, which is $250.  So its up to you, I signed a contract for you guys playing 4 of 5, but if you want to void that, i'll give the 2nd band your money, and you can take theirs.  come back and let me know."  they left to go back to the RV, came back 10 minutes later and said "fuck that, we'll play fourth, but we gotta leave after that."  I said "okay, but I settle at the end of the night after bands, so if you want paid, you're going to wait".  and thats what happened.  They brought their gear in the front door, after the third band they drug it down to the stage and set up (and took forever..), played their set, all of the 8 songs they had, took everything off the stage and out the front door and sat in their RV until the headlining band was done.  the merch dude was a total fucking creep for the 3 hours he was there, trying to get girls to flash him, I had to have a friend of mine go up to him and threaten him to knock it off.  It was awful.  I seriously almost quit booking shows that night.  It was so awful.  they sat in their RV smoking weed the entire time they were not on stage farting into a mic.

on the fall of troy/thomas topic of discussion, when i last saw fall of troy it was in richmond virginia a couple years back when the spot was then-called "alley katz". FOT was playing in these crowd surfers were crowd surfing and kicked the mic and thomas like FLIPPED OUT. in the middle of the song like slammed the guitar on the ground and straight walks out the back door of the club. a minute or two passes, he comes in, bitches at the dude that kicked the mic, and just starts playing again where they left off. 

also, didnt he like try and push their tour manager (a girl) out of a the van when it was driving on the highway? i dont know if that is actually true or not but if it is, i wouldnt be surprised. 

with genius comes insanity, i guess. 

The first Warped Tour I ever went to, the band I was excited for most was Streetlight Manifesto. Not only was I super excited for my first warped, but my favorite band at the time was playing. Damn, was I disappointed when various members were saying things about specific people while on stage. I get the whole punk rock, yeah fuck you, whatever thing that a lot of bands do, but it was just a little disappointing to hear that coming from a band that I had been looking up to at the time.

Damn, was I disappointed when various members were saying things about specific people while on stage.

Lacks detail to be anymore than a contribution of Streetlight to the list.

I've voiced my current opinion about Thomas (SM...Not this other guy who's music I've never heard) in the latest album thread (summary: Fuck Victory a lot but fuck Thomas a little for his part in fueling the fire instead of being the bigger man). However, I don't remember them really doing anything but just play songs when on stage the couple times I've seen the full band. He had some pretty bad sets posted to youtube when he first started playing the songs acoustic a couple years ago (forgot words, stopped in the middle of songs) but I think he has it down now.

I heard he forgot lyrics on revival tour just a few months ago. Not that it has anything to do with him being a douche. I've never seen that out of him or the band personally, minus the Victory struggles. 

I remember him saying he doesn't even really like ska music anymore in an interview. Rubbed me the wrong way. I guess he's just being honest but it's kinda the equivalent of your baseball team signing a big free agent and he says "I am a Yankees fan in my heart".

It's also a little frustrating that he only put out an album every 3 or 4 years, finally gets out of his Victory contract, then announces the band is playing a few shows and going on hiatus. I get that he is a perfectionist and that is why he is one of my couple favorite musicians but I see no reason a professional musician shouldn't be able to put out an album every 1-2 years if they put their heart into it.

But overall I'm with you -- not a douche. Just maybe a 5 on the scale of douche to Chuck Ragan.

When bands tour you might catch them on a shitty night. Imagine being stuffed in a van and driving around all day to different cities.

The other thing is that what do you guys want? People.in bands are people like us. What do you want from them? A hummer? A back rub? Want them to hold your hand and tell you everything will be ok? Bands being dicks to a promoter is a different story.

When bands tour you might catch them on a shitty night. Imagine being stuffed in a van and driving around all day to different cities.

The other thing is that what do you guys want? People.in bands are people like us. What do you want from them? A hummer? A back rub? Want them to hold your hand and tell you everything will be ok? Bands being dicks to a promoter is a different story.

All this stuff would be pretty nice, yeah.

No, it's not easy being in a band. No sir. It's not easy working in a factory or a coal mine or being a doctor or a teacher or driving a cab or being a train conductor or working on an offshore oil rig or managing a McDonald's.

There's a pretty significant difference between someone having an off night, or a whole off-tour, and being someone who consistently and throughout their career comes off like a snot. It requires a certain type of ego to feel confident going on a stage and playing music for other people - in fact, you could even say that it's a form of madness and attention seeking behavior on every level, whether it's someone in Local Garage Punk Band or Disney Pop Princess Du Jour. But there's a significant difference in how people channel it and how entitled they feel to having other people listen to them. Some band members are grounded, kind people, who understand what they do and how it could disappear in a moment. The most recent band members I've had the chance to talk to were Pete Adams and John Dyer Baizley from Baroness. You want to talk about dudes who've had a shit time on tour! But they were totally cool guys, and seem genuinely humbled and grateful that people support their endeavors.

It's a world apart from people who seem to think the world owes them a chance to be a star. Or groupies or drugs or whatever. It's a fine line. Playing music for people requires a certain measure of that mentality, but being a human and having class and dignity and humility and a flexible personality and emotional intelligence requires a heaping measure of exactly the opposite.

I mentioned two guys (Brian Fallon and Thomas Kalnocky) and gave specific reasons why their personalities bug me in general. They are also frontmen for 2 of my top 5 bands. So what do I want from them? The opposite of what I said I don't like.