cable/internet... i'm getting shafted

from what I've seen on here there are some pretty smart individuals who know how to work the system.

So i ask you this,

I was paying like 90 bucks for wireless and basic cable from charter. We never really watched tv that much so we decided to cancel our cable.

when I called to cancel, they said that my internet bill, standing alone without cable, would go up 30 dollars... bastards. I did the whole 'threatening to cancel' thing and they took off 8 bucks. I still feel like I'm getting screwed.

last resort is switching to another provider... is there any other way I can weasel my way into cheaper wireless?

Thats the problem with bundles. If you cancel one service they up the other services prices. Also most of the time the prices are mostly promotional for a limited time and in a year or two they will up the prices either way. I would try another provider out if you have no choice stuck with what you have

Yeah we had the first year promo bundle when we first moved in... and every year after that I would call and threaten to cancel and they would magically find a way to take at least 20 bucks off our bill.

I think I am just going to have to switch providers dammit, we just need to find a time to do it, my roommate is in graduate school and needs the internet constantly.

you think that's bad... time warner has my area completely monopolized. i went from paying $99 a month for cable/internet to almost $140. just basic digital cable, no fancy movie channels.

that's disgusting

We've ditched cable completely and saved a bunch of money. If you can get your hands on a used Wii for $100 or so, get Netflix and Hulu+ and you'll never miss it. I think alot of new Bluray players have Netflix options on them now too, and they're comming down in price. My second job is at Sears and they were discontinuing last years Bluray player models and I think they were about 30$. If you look, you can find one cheap I'm sure. I would definately change carriers too if I were you though. I have Comcast with just high speed internet and it's cheaper than what you were saying.

A formal heads up, this is where the best buy employee inside of me tends to sneak out.

if you don't mind me asking how much are you paying for your internet? Do you know what internet speeds you are subscribed to? (you can check at www.speedtest.net) Do you guys need really fast speeds? (necessary for multiple people on the network gaming/streaming video/downloading)

A lot of times cable companies will automatically up your speeds if you cancel a package and that's why they say it'll cost you more. It's kind of like a scam, only most people don't know better to ask questions or fight against it. At the very least ask to lower your speeds and in turn it will lower your bill, especially after cancelling the TV service.

I always prefer cable, yeah you might save $10 a month by switching to DSL but you'll usually get half the speed you had. AT&T's service is the worst in my opinion, they don't provide wireless N routers or any option for you to own one, and are downright retarded when you call their customer service. I've tried to fix the AT&T internet at my gfs place and been flat out lied to by their technical service reps, when I come out and say I work for an electronics retailer and sell their equipment and know more than them, they still stick to their fake ass script, or just made up wrong information.

In my experience all service providers (tv, internet, cell phone) are out to get you one way or another. It's a combination of finding the lesser of all the evils and whatever works for you service/budget-wise.

/rant

I say just ditch everything you have, start from scratch with a different internet provider. Then never get cable again and just stream and download all your shows. Haven't had cable in like 6 years, still watching all my premium shows.

I would do this but when hockey starts I'd be beat.

A formal heads up, this is where the best buy employee inside of me tends to sneak out.

if you don't mind me asking how much are you paying for your internet? Do you know what internet speeds you are subscribed to? (you can check at www.speedtest.net) Do you guys need really fast speeds? (necessary for multiple people on the network gaming/streaming video/downloading)

A lot of times cable companies will automatically up your speeds if you cancel a package and that's why they say it'll cost you more. It's kind of like a scam, only most people don't know better to ask questions or fight against it. At the very least ask to lower your speeds and in turn it will lower your bill, especially after cancelling the TV service.

I always prefer cable, yeah you might save $10 a month by switching to DSL but you'll usually get half the speed you had. AT&T's service is the worst in my opinion, they don't provide wireless N routers or any option for you to own one, and are downright retarded when you call their customer service. I've tried to fix the AT&T internet at my gfs place and been flat out lied to by their technical service reps, when I come out and say I work for an electronics retailer and sell their equipment and know more than them, they still stick to their fake ass script, or just made up wrong information.

In my experience all service providers (tv, internet, cell phone) are out to get you one way or another. It's a combination of finding the lesser of all the evils and whatever works for you service/budget-wise.

/rant

thanks for the heads up on AT&T, since they were who I was about to switch to. I already had them downgrade our speed once, and we use netflix which has still been working fine the whole time so maybe I will see if they increased our speed without telling me.

really, the advice from everyone is much appreciated, thanks all :)

The only thing I pay for is Internet which costs about $60/ month(Roadrunner DSL). We cut cable about 2 years ago and don't miss it at all. We can get by with random stuff via Hulu and Netflix, everything else I just download from nzbmatrix. I was paying DirecTV $160/month for 200 channels when I only watched like 5 of them. Also get rid of your landline. It's a useless utility lol.

If you're out of contract than you shouldn't have to pay a termination fee, and if so, fuck it, just bite the bullet. If you're unhappy with your provider it's better to give them a little now to end your service than a lot over the span of a year or more and hate it.

Yeah we had the first year promo bundle when we first moved in... and every year after that I would call and threaten to cancel and they would magically find a way to take at least 20 bucks off our bill.

I think I am just going to have to switch providers dammit, we just need to find a time to do it, my roommate is in graduate school and needs the internet constantly.

So you think you are getting screwed cause every year you call and complain and threaten so they take money off the bill and now they stopped doing it? They do that as a courtesy to customers and keep tabs on that stuff. When they see that you arent worth the money anymore they stop giving you the money off. They dont have to do it, you are the one that entered into a deal with them and you keep trying to screw them.

So you think you are getting screwed cause every year you call and complain and threaten so they take money off the bill and now they stopped doing it? They do that as a courtesy to customers and keep tabs on that stuff. When they see that you arent worth the money anymore they stop giving you the money off. They dont have to do it, you are the one that entered into a deal with them and you keep trying to screw them.

You work for their PR department or what? Dropping the price by $20 for multiple customers wouldn't impact their overhead to the point they'd hemorrhage money. It's a cushioned lost.

You think Verizon got rid of their unlimited data plans for any other reason than to squeeze every last penny out of their customers? They're a business. They're in it to make profit.