MAN ADVICE

I just shaved my beard. I need the ladies advice for this one. Do you enjoy beards, stuble, or clean shaven? What do not only you, but most of your friends or women you know like more?

every female i know (between the ages of 40-28) is either married or is going out with a guy with a beard and has been for years. some short, some long as fuck (like 2 feet), but beards nonetheless.

my roommate however likes clean shaven guys, but i think the fact that most of the guys she dates can't grow facial hair so who knows. 

I just shaved my beard. I need the ladies advice for this one. Do you enjoy beards, stuble, or clean shaven? What do not only you, but most of your friends or women you know like more?

Yes, I'd like to know the answer to this as well.  My beard, is at this point, longest it's ever been and I'm diggin it but I'm wondering if the ladies are too.

You ok?

takes a deep breath

my girlfriend and i are long distance, and she planned to come here starting july 9 for two months but exactly a month before that her grandmother was diagnosed with kidney and heart failure and decided not to have surgery and just wait for nature to take its course so of course my girlfriend wants to be with her family and it's six weeks since her grandma's decision and though she is sleeping a lot she is still kickin' it pretty well so for better or worse there is no end to her suffering in sight and my girlfriend took an online course and a leave of absence from her job so she could come here, but that kind of thing's not going to be able to happen after sept 10 when regular have-to-be-in-a-building class starts back up again for her and i'm just at the end of my fucking rope because i'm a horrible human being and we got into another fight today because i got really sad and wished her grandma hadn't just given up and again i'm an asshole but yeah if she can come here at all before like next february (her job does not allow people to take time off during the holidays) it will be for maybe five days, (not to mention i haven't seen her since march), again if she can come at all, and all of this sucks and there's no one to blame and nothing to do because this is just how life is and i am a 30 year old adult who is acting like a child but this has been six weeks nonstop of just awfulness trying to comfort her over the phone and doing a shitty job of hiding my frustration and disappointment so someone just take me out back and pull an old yeller thank youuuu.

tl;dr: takemeoutbackandshootme

No no, not a thread killer.

It does seem that your head is in the right place and you know how you should be acting towards the situation, but its hard to keep your head in that right place.  I can totally see your frustration.  LDR are super tough to begin with, and these types of family situations usually do become the priority no matter what.  Which sucks, but again, I totally understand where you are coming from at the same time.  I think you're being a little hard on yourself.  You can wish that her grandmother opted to go with the surgery so everyone's life isn't on hold so to speak until something happens. =\ I get that. It would be nice if your girlfriend could see it that way for just a second to see the other side of things.  What you can do at this point is just be supportive because no doubt your girlfriend is upset about the entire situation.  I dunno, I wish I had better advice for you, but please don't be so hard on yourself.  March is a long time ago! & February is far from now! Your frustration is justified.

Is there any way that you could go out to see her?

No no, not a thread killer.

It does seem that your head is in the right place and you know how you should be acting towards the situation, but its hard to keep your head in that right place.  I can totally see your frustration.  LDR are super tough to begin with, and these types of family situations usually do become the priority no matter what.  Which sucks, but again, I totally understand where you are coming from at the same time.  I think you're being a little hard on yourself.  You can wish that her grandmother opted to go with the surgery so everyone's life isn't on hold so to speak until something happens. =\ I get that. It would be nice if your girlfriend could see it that way for just a second to see the other side of things.  What you can do at this point is just be supportive because no doubt your girlfriend is upset about the entire situation.  I dunno, I wish I had better advice for you, but please don't be so hard on yourself.  March is a long time ago! & February is far from now! Your frustration is justified.

Is there any way that you could go out to see her?

thank you for listening. i've been going kind of insane with it.

the short answer to me going out to see her is no, i can't. i can't afford it. the longer answer to that is i'm in debt up to my eyeballs and part of it is credit card debt from charging plane tickets for the last two years (and with that, taking unpaid days off from work, because only recently did i get two weeks paid ...and either way it's accrued time. don't just get the lump at the beginning of the year, which suuuucks). so it was kind of her turn to buy one.

the short answer to me going out to see her is no, i can't. i can't afford it. the longer answer to that is i'm in debt up to my eyeballs and part of it is credit card debt from charging plane tickets for the last two years (and with that, taking unpaid days off from work, because only recently did i get two weeks paid ...and either way it's accrued time. don't just get the lump at the beginning of the year, which suuuucks). so it was kind of her turn to buy one.

I understand that.  Plane tickets are in no way cheap.  Have you tried talking to her about this? About how you have been feeling about the entire situation with her family removed?  It might make a difference to her if you approach the topic by telling her how much you miss her and how you wish you could see her more often.  I mean, I'm sure she knows this already having been in a LDR for two years (I'm assuming because of your last reply), but it might make her feel better with everything going on to make her feel desired by you and that you want to physically hug her and help you get through the tough time.

this is how my long distance ended. she came in last july, and the plan was for me to move there in september. by mid-august, it was clear that not only was i unable to move, but the chance of me even going out there to visit was extremely slim. a month later, we were both just at our limit. the distance killed us, and without any plans made in the future, it made it impossible to hold on. 

the biggest thing i was able to take away from that was that it wasn't anyone's fault. 

we even caught up a few nights ago, and she mentioned that she still thinks about me and whatnot.

shit, you probably don't want to hear any of this..

takes a deep breath

my girlfriend and i are long distance, and she planned to come here starting july 9 for two months but exactly a month before that her grandmother was diagnosed with kidney and heart failure and decided not to have surgery and just wait for nature to take its course so of course my girlfriend wants to be with her family and it's six weeks since her grandma's decision and though she is sleeping a lot she is still kickin' it pretty well so for better or worse there is no end to her suffering in sight and my girlfriend took an online course and a leave of absence from her job so she could come here, but that kind of thing's not going to be able to happen after sept 10 when regular have-to-be-in-a-building class starts back up again for her and i'm just at the end of my fucking rope because i'm a horrible human being and we got into another fight today because i got really sad and wished her grandma hadn't just given up and again i'm an asshole but yeah if she can come here at all before like next february (her job does not allow people to take time off during the holidays) it will be for maybe five days, (not to mention i haven't seen her since march), again if she can come at all, and all of this sucks and there's no one to blame and nothing to do because this is just how life is and i am a 30 year old adult who is acting like a child but this has been six weeks nonstop of just awfulness trying to comfort her over the phone and doing a shitty job of hiding my frustration and disappointment so someone just take me out back and pull an old yeller thank youuuu.

tl;dr: takemeoutbackandshootme

ive been in a similar situation it ended very bad and I regret how shitty I was about everything. The girls Dad killed herself and i broke up with her a few months after because she would hardly talk to me and I never got to see her. I didnt realize how selfish I was being, im super insensitive. If you care about her you should stick it out and try an support her the best you can even though its super shitty for you. I hope she still fly's out and stays with you. I know how shit long distance is.

I understand that.  Plane tickets are in no way cheap.  Have you tried talking to her about this? About how you have been feeling about the entire situation with her family removed?  It might make a difference to her if you approach the topic by telling her how much you miss her and how you wish you could see her more often.  I mean, I'm sure she knows this already having been in a LDR for two years (I'm assuming because of your last reply), but it might make her feel better with everything going on to make her feel desired by you and that you want to physically hug her and help you get through the tough time.

oh, we have talked. a lot. it doesn't go well. i get all "i wish you were here" and she's like "i know and you make me feel like it's my fault for not coming" which is not my intention at all but i get it. and then there's crying and some fighting and me feeling worthless and her feeling like i hate her.

that said, we have talked about her coming for like 2 weeks just to get away from the house - since she's on a LOA from her job, it's pretty much day in day out at her grandma's house watching her die. no relief. so i think think think we are going to get to see each other in august. there is hope yet.

this is how my long distance ended. she came in last july, and the plan was for me to move there in september. by mid-august, it was clear that not only was i unable to move, but the chance of me even going out there to visit was extremely slim. a month later, we were both just at our limit. the distance killed us, and without any plans made in the future, it made it impossible to hold on. 

the biggest thing i was able to take away from that was that it wasn't anyone's fault. 

we even caught up a few nights ago, and she mentioned that she still thinks about me and whatnot.

shit, you probably don't want to hear any of this..

it's totally cool. i remember when you were going through that. it's so tough not knowing the next time i'm gonna be with her. i've always been able to cope pretty well as long as i knew, okay, she's coming her in september or, i'm going out there for her birthday in november, etc. we've been doing this thing since the beginning. i knew what i was getting into...sort of. i want to marry this girl (which, oh man, if you knew me, after the first failed marriage i swore i would never do it again but here i am). i'm gonna stick it out, but right now it's the hardest it has ever been.

ive been in a similar situation it ended very bad and I regret how shitty I was about everything. The girls Dad killed herself and i broke up with her a few months after because she would hardly talk to me and I never got to see her. I didnt realize how selfish I was being, im super insensitive. If you care about her you should stick it out and try an support her the best you can even though its super shitty for you. I hope she still fly's out and stays with you. I know how shit long distance is.

dude i feel like SUCH an asshole all the time right now. we're talking about her coming just even for like 2 weeks, just to get her out of the house and out of the situation. a little relief from the day in day out of watching her grandma slowly deteriorate. plus one of our plans was to go visit my family up north for a camping trip...i really, really want(ed) her to meet my parents and my brother. and they are dying to meet her as well.

idk, some moments i'm fine and others i'm just a wreck. i know it doesn't help her at all. need to just suck it up, but easier said than done.

triple post update!

girlfriend has purchased a plane ticket! she'll be here aug 13-26, and we are going up north to camp with my family, so she's going to get to meet them as we had originally planned!

it's MUCH better than nothing and if something happens with her grandma, she'll have to leave, but regardless i'm feeling super lucky/happy that we get two weeks!

triple post update!

girlfriend has purchased a plane ticket! she'll be here aug 13-26, and we are going up north to camp with my family, so she's going to get to meet them as we had originally planned!

it's MUCH better than nothing and if something happens with her grandma, she'll have to leave, but regardless i'm feeling super lucky/happy that we get two weeks!

Here's to hoping for a safe flight and trip

triple post update!

I'm happy for you steph that's awesome!

triple post update!

That's great news! I'm so happy for the two of you. Have fun camping, too.